cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Getting Just 10Meg

danandbec

Getting Just 10Meg

I'm posting this because I've tried twice to call and both times been in a queue for an hour! I'm hoping this is not the future of PN Service...

Normally we get a steady 68-72Meg but recently we don't peak above 10meg. We've had one change - a Plusnet One Hub, but it was working fine when that was put in so I don't think it was that. We've hit the uploads hard, changed backup provider but it was terrible and after 30 days of repeated uploading I gave up and signed up to Amazon Drive, which was successful so no more huge uploads now the initial backup has completed.

So have we been limited due to overuse? Or is there an auto limit on the line? Either way can we please get it back up?Huh

Dan

8 REPLIES 8
Pettitto
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 5

Re: Getting Just 10Meg

Hey Dan,

I've just tried running some tests on your line but I've been informed that overnight tonight (00:01 - 06:00) there's planned engineering works being carried out in your area, so tests can't be run until that's complete, so perhaps we can take a look at this again tomorrow (today, since it's now past midnight) for you.

I did notice that the Speed Profile set on our suppliers system matched around what you said at the 10Mb mark, so I'd be really wanting to get a line test done to see what's causing that.

There is a chance that there's an issue that BT are aware of, and that's why the engineering work is being carried out, but that shouldn't stop us taking another later today for you.

I'm sure we can get to the bottom of it for you!

danandbec

Thanks for getting back.

I ran the BT test last night too and updated the Plusnet call. I'd noticed that the line speed stated max 9.8meg so assumed a fault on the line.

I'll wait and see what the results of the works were and test the speed again when I get home.

Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

The automated testing found an issue and has been through further diagnostics, oddly it's booked an appointment in without any intervention, this is booked in for the 30th between 1pm and 6pm. Can you let us know if this isn't suitable by updating the fault ticket and replying here so we can get that amended for you.

Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
danandbec

Is that for a home visit?

Chris
Legend

Yes, it's for a visit to the premises. An engineer has already tested as far as they can externally so need to be able to test the full length of the line.

Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
danandbec

If you can point point a more specific time I can ensure someones here but we work 8-4 so unless its a Saturday we're going to struggle. Certainly can't get back Friday.

Chris
Legend

I'm afraid Saturday appointments are very rare and the appointment slots can't be narrowed down, do you have any other availability for an appointment?

danandbec

Just a quick note to say that Openreach came out anyway on Friday (he was not a happy bunny). I phoned in this time and after 45 mins finally got through to someone. Miraculously they had a Saturday appointment so Openreach showed up at about 3pm.

Turned out the issue was an old phone surge protector, which was protecting the (no longer used) extension line to the back of the TV where we used to have a Sky Box, which needed plugging into the phone line. For whatever reason, this surge protector had decided to flood the line with noise and it was interfering with the broadband signal. Disconnected it and the speed shot up to 40meg. (oddly when we reconnected it the line speed stayed the same but we disconnected it again as its not needed).

24 hours later and the line has stabilised at 68meg.

Many thanks for your help.