cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Getting Fibre tomorrow, no router yet??

doccer67

Getting Fibre tomorrow, no router yet??

Any help? Booked for an engineer visit tomorrow afternoon but no sign of router yet, no text to say its been dispatched?
6 REPLIES 6
MatthewWheeler
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 479

Re: Getting Fibre tomorrow, no router yet??

I can see we've sorted this out for you this morning.
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Matthew Wheeler
 Plusnet Help Team
gleneagles
Aspiring Legend
Fixes: 17

PN will not thank me for saying this but if you are moving to fibre and have not been sent a router within 3 days of your arranged openreach engineers visit get on the phone to PN and get them to confirm the router has been dispatched along with the name of the person you spoke to !
Leaving it to one day before is too risky unless BT are willing to install their modem and allowing you to set up the router if it arrives later, no doubt someone can clarify that last point.
We are born into history and history is born into us.
pwatson
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

BT will (should!) do their bit whether the router is there or not - They are contracted to provide the modem and test.  The router is the customer's responsibility to get working...
Terranova667
Pro
Fixes: 5

As far as i'm aware the Fibre install only includes the installation and testing of the modem & connection to the cab as that's Openreach responsibility the router is the customers so if the router is late arriving it wont impact the install.
even if the customer has the router there not all engineers bother to connect and test it especially if they are contractors like Kellys.  
sjptd
Grafter

You can directly connect a computer to the modem via ethernet cable, and then set up a PPPoE connection.  
See http://community.plus.net/library/broadband/fibre-help-how-to-set-up-a-pppoe-dialler-in-vistawindows...
It is pretty similar for Windows 7 or 8.1, and probably for Mac or Unix as well.
You could even do that on the computer in advance of the engineer arriving with the modem.
A bit of a faffle, and remember to revert the settings once you do have a router connection.
Also, it may not be practicable depending on your house layout.
If you can't be bothered, the engineer should still set things up with the modem ready for when your router arrives, as the others said.
With luck it will arrive in time anyway.
MattyC
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 46

Quote from: gleneagles
PN will not thank me for saying this but if you are moving to fibre and have not been sent a router within 3 days of your arranged openreach engineers visit get on the phone to PN and get them to confirm the router has been dispatched along with the name of the person you spoke to !
Leaving it to one day before is too risky unless BT are willing to install their modem and allowing you to set up the router if it arrives later, no doubt someone can clarify that last point.

Yes we will. If it looks like there's something wrong, the forums encouraging the OP to ask is dead helpful. Even if it's a Plusnet error.
@doccer67 - Looks like everything was sorted in the end.
ex-Plusnet staffer. Any posts after 28/07/2017 aren't on behalf of Plusnet