Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Getting Fibre on Monday some advice on router please

Wavemachine
Dabbler

Getting Fibre on Monday some advice on router please

Hi,
Fingers crossed I am being upgraded to Fibre on Monday, as I understand it I am going to end up with two boxes i.e. the open reach box and a router.
I currently use a home hub 3 but have had the Tecnicolor fibre router sent to me (which doesn't look particularly brilliant).
I don't like the idea of two boxes so have now ordered a TP-Link WD-W9980 (due to arrive tomorrow from Amazon) which will also eliminate the need for my a 3rd box which is 1Gbe switch. I know I will probably need to update the firmware to support g.inp.
The question is do I set this up prior to the engineers visit for my current ADSL2+ connection and then reconfigure it for VDSL? If found a handy guide for seeting it up for BT which aledgedly is pretty much the same settings: http://wiki.kitz.co.uk/index.php/TD-W9980_QuickSetup. Or should I run with the technicolor modem or my home hub for a few days to make sure it works?
Advice will be appreciated.
Thanks
2 REPLIES 2
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Re: Getting Fibre on Monday some advice on router please

I would use the Technicolor at first so that the engineer will definitely provide the modem otherwise he may well not
Wavemachine
Dabbler

Re: Getting Fibre on Monday some advice on router please

Yes that is a good point, at least if my new router develops a fault I will have something to fall back to.
Thanks Oldjim Smiley