cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Gave up with ECI changed to Billion, results for anyone interested.

AndyH
Grafter

Re: Gave up with ECI changed to Billion, results for anyone interested.

Quote from: deathtrap
Really  where are these examples then ?  also i think you will find than anyone enabling an option on a modem that isn't supported by the Dslam will just be ignored by it such as the HG612 (Supplied BTOR modem) it has SRA enabled by default, but BTOR haven't enabled this feature so it's ignored by the Dslam, as for such like causing issues for other subscribers you have proof of this ?  if not then must be more bunkem from you perhaps

SRA enabled is a requirement for all modems as it is something that will be introduced alongside vectoring. I believe it is being used in the vectoring pilot at the moment.
Without going into specifics, I can give you an example of a German modem/router that either comes by default or allows a user to configure certain handshake tones which causes interference to other lines. The modem/router would not be allowed to be used by CPs because it fails the spectrum analyser test (ANFP) if those specific handshake tones are enabled and used.
I believe another one is the transmit power, which some modem/routers allow you to configure (Asus being one) and this also can cause interference to other lines and issues at the DSLAM.
stoswald
Grafter

Pendragaon, can this be used with IPTV (Multicast)?
Pendragon
Rising Star
Fixes: 3

Sorry to take so long to get back to you.
The simple answer is yes, according to the manual as in
IPTV Applications*3
• IGMP Snooping and IGMP Proxy
• MLD Snooping and MLD Proxy
• Virtual LAN (VLAN)
• Quality of Service (QoS)
How you set it up is way over my head but if you can download the user manual from anywhere it's on pages 190/192
Hope that helps, regards, P.
stoswald
Grafter

Smiley
picbits
Rising Star

Cheers Pendragon - took the plunge today and got one of these using Flubit - £56 delivered so pretty good really.
Pendragon
Rising Star
Fixes: 3

Just an update, the unit has been ‘up’ now for just over 8 days from the initial overnight reset when G.inp was enabled by the system and so far it has been rock solid. All the readouts from DSLStats are the same as the first, WiFi seems solid (no complaints from my Son about Skype dropouts etc.), all in all it seems a pretty good box.
During the week he downloaded 60GB of files for the install of GTA 5 as a test and it went smooth as could be. Playing the game in online mode with a group of other players seems fine and he can keep up with others with very little lag if any.
I know it seems to some to be ‘unfair’ or not ‘ethical’ for end users to have to replace stuff like this from our own pocket but having spent quite a large sum of money over the years changing modem/routers as we changed from fixed 256 ADSL, 512, 2 Meg and ‘up to 8’ and changing WiFi standards this seemed just another box to buy to save any hassle.
BTW any idea what to do with about 8 various types of ADSL modem/routers, plus at least one from Plusnet, answers on a postcard please  ::).
Anyway good luck with your purchase and hope things go as smooth as mine, regards P.
w23
Pro
Fixes: 4

[Postcard]
Freecycle.
[/Postcard]
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.
picbits
Rising Star

Or Freegle - other free giveaway sites are available Wink
chrcoluk
Grafter

an unlocked hg612doesnt let the end user do anything that would hurt other users, but the asus dsl modems on the market do including disabling UPBO.
Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

I guess UPBO is Upstream Power Back Off - there's some Fibre stuff I still need to learn  Embarrassed
benfranklin
Grafter

Quote from: chrcoluk
an unlocked hg612doesnt let the end user do anything that would hurt other users

...which begs the question, why were the Openreach modems supplied locked down in the first place?  Huh
[edited for typo]
chrcoluk
Grafter

to hide information.
sync speed
snr margin
ES
CRC
SES
FEC
etc.
Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

BT stuff has pretty much been "locked down" for some considerable time. They don't like users discovering the true problems with their connections it would seem Roll_eyes
goldenfibre
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 12

^^ this is why I brought myself Billion 8800NL and overall happy with it. Lucky for me as mine is G.INP and everything seem fine so far (ongoing connection for 25 days at the maximum sync rate 79999k/20000k with lower ping 10ms) Smiley