Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Gaming not possible with current state of my connection

ogower
Grafter
Fixes: 1

Re: Gaming not possible with current state of my connection

Did a wired connection and had exactly the same issue, so it does look like either my gear is shonky or the connection is.

Does anyone know whether I can raise a fault here (just in case they can have a look at my line) or do I need to do the chat/phone thing? 

Thanks again all for taking the time to comment here as well - very appreciated Smiley

rongtw
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 12

Have you a spare router to try ?   or try a test here http://speedtest.btwholesale.com/  your test after further diagnosis is logged with BT/plusnet

Asus ROG Hero Vii Z97 , Intel i5 4690k ,ROG Asus Strix 1070,
samsung 850evo 250gig , WD black 2 TB . Asus Phoebus sound ,
16 gig Avexir ram 2400 , water cooling Corsair H100i gtx ,
Corsair 750HXI Psu , Phanteks Enthoo pro case .
ogower
Grafter

Hi,

I think I will buy one today, as the router I have from the ISP isn't very good anyway.  That should definitively show whether it is my gear or the ISP which is causing the problem. 

Anonymous
Not applicable

@ogower - Buying a router is a personal thing where some will suggest Brand A and others Brand B, but if you have reasonably deep pockets can I suggest you buy a DrayTek such as this, it will allow you to properly manage your line and are very reliable.

ogower
Grafter

I bought a new router (Asus RT-AC66U B1 dual band - best I could get for budget).  Works all fine wired up and full speed download and minimal bufferbloat but wireless on either 2.4 or 5 bands is as bad as before in games.  DSL reports has some completing and giving a bufferbloat score of D and some tests failing to complete. 

No idea where to go next unless I replace my wireless dongle and check again.  Netalyzer on the phone still reports the issue with 2037 vs 1492 MTU and now says I am on a DNS blacklist (but no issues in virus scans on avast (downloaded trial) or Win Defender, so another thing there...

Bit stumped

ogower
Grafter

forgot to say - I updated to the latest firmware on the router as well

brookheather
Rising Star

So you just changed the router and not the modem then?  Which modem are you using - try changing that.

BT FTTP 500 + pfSense + Uniquiti Unifi 6 Pro