Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Gaming not possible with current state of my connection

ogower
Grafter
Fixes: 1

Gaming not possible with current state of my connection

Hi,

Could someone from PlusNet please have a look at my line? I am having frequent lag spikes which make gaming impossible.

BT wholesale didn't flag anything although a 4.8 MB upload seems low (its half what my profile says I can achieve).  I am on wifi but I do not typically have major issues - this sustained issue arose 2-3 days ago.

I ran a test on sourceforge and this said I had 44% packet loss, 16MB upload (not 29MB like BT said) and 6ms average jitter.

21 REPLIES 21
St3
Aspiring Champion
Fixes: 5

Re: Gaming not possible with current state of my connection

Run this see what it comes up with http://www.dslreports.com/speedtest

rongtw
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 12

WIFI is to unreliable for gaming . can you not try it wired ?

Asus ROG Hero Vii Z97 , Intel i5 4690k ,ROG Asus Strix 1070,
samsung 850evo 250gig , WD black 2 TB . Asus Phoebus sound ,
16 gig Avexir ram 2400 , water cooling Corsair H100i gtx ,
Corsair 750HXI Psu , Phanteks Enthoo pro case .
Anonymous
Not applicable

Just a thought @ogower, but if this was ‘working’ for you up until a few days ago and you have neighbours around you then maybe they have got new Wireless devices that are adding to the congestion. Think about getting a WiFi Analyser App for your mobile phone to see where the traffic is then maybe consider changing your network channel to see if the previous performance returns, hey it might even get better!

ogower
Grafter

Cheers all. I'm a bit of a 'noob' with this, so welcome to any suggestions.

Can't wire it presently as I'm in the conservatory (I know) - but relocating next few months. As before, usually works fine though there are periodic hiccups but none like this. Solution will be to wire it when I can.  I tried using plugs but didn't work for some reason.

I'll put results from tests in separate posts below.

ogower
Grafter

I ran a netalyzer test. I couldn't get this to work on my PC (said I needed java (I'm windows 10) but I may have been doing something wrong. I ran it on my Samsung S8 instead.  It flagged an issue:

Path MTU (?😞 Warning

The path between your network and our system supports an MTU of at least 2037 bytes, and the path between our system and your network has an MTU of 1492 bytes. The path MTU bottleneck that fails to properly report the ICMP "too big" is between 195.99.127.69 and *. The path between our system and your network does not appear to report properly when the sender needs to fragment traffic.

http://n2.netalyzr.icsi.berkeley.edu/summary/id=36a470be-20089-4f45e95d-c33a-4ddb-853b

ogower
Grafter

Anonymous
Not applicable

What you are experiencing here could easily be caused by your MTU so I would suggest checking this on your devices and your router and set it to 1492, it being common denominator. How this is done will be Router and OS dependant of course.

ogower
Grafter

Hi,

Thanks for this - I will have a look now. I am win10 and Technicolor TG582n FTTC 

ogower
Grafter

I've not had much luck so far unfortunately. I couldn't find anything in the router settings, so I ended up downloading TCP Optimiser. With that, I changed the MTU to 1492, saved and rebooted then checked back to make sure the settings had stuck. I fired up a game and had lag spikes (or whatever they are called) every 3 seconds instead of every 15.  I have reset to the default 1500 again ands hunting around for other solutions but most (such as an easy fix tool by Microsoft) seem to work with every version of windows except 10.

rongtw
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 12

Are you running a PC , Laptop , or a console ?

and what game you playing

Asus ROG Hero Vii Z97 , Intel i5 4690k ,ROG Asus Strix 1070,
samsung 850evo 250gig , WD black 2 TB . Asus Phoebus sound ,
16 gig Avexir ram 2400 , water cooling Corsair H100i gtx ,
Corsair 750HXI Psu , Phanteks Enthoo pro case .
Anonymous
Not applicable

That's not so good @ogower, I have found that when IPv6 is enabled on the network card things can get a bit sticky. Can you disable it please to see if this changes anything for you.

IPv6 Disable

ogower
Grafter

Alas - still had problems after disabling ipv6 Smiley

Ref my system, I am using a desktop (17-6700K, 16GB, GTX980, win10).  Also experiencing the same issue on my Samsung S8, when I use netalyzer.   Games - son had problems with Roblox, so I have tested with Armored Warfare and with World of Tanks and World of Warplanes.

Something is presumably up either with my ancient router (maybe time to change ISP to get a new one or just buy a diff one?) or with the connection from PlusNet.

Anonymous
Not applicable

If your router is so old it's using valves then it may be a worthwhile investment buying a new one. If it were Plusnet related then I'd suspect there would be others complaining about it.

ogower
Grafter

i'll try and hook it up physically later to check if wifi is the issue. Only thing i'm struggling with is if the issue is my end, why has it suddenly started out of nowhere - I guess either there is some kind of local fault or my hardware has suddenly stopped working effectively (which I know can happen and does have to be my principal line of enquiry). 

I've spent hours combing the internet and nothing I've tried has solved it (plays tiny violin).