cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

GFAST Internet

deekayw
Grafter

GFAST Internet

Our village has had Fibre installed in most areas over the last few months & I've signed up for PlusNet FTTP for end of the month - thank you.

When using the OpenReach checker a number of friends in the same village who are also on PlusNet are shown as getting GFAST instead of the full FTTP - are PlusNet offering the GFAST service as part of their fibre rollout at this stage please?

Thank you

3 REPLIES 3
RealAleMadrid
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 59

Re: GFAST Internet

@deekayw  I don't think Plusnet have ever sold G.Fast. It isn't a Full Fibre service but an upgraded version of FTTC with different equipment in a side pod on the existing telephone cabinet. The signals still use the copper line to get to your house and you have to be very close to the cab to get the higher speeds. It was poor attempt by Openreach to offer higher speeds, in fact they have abandoned it completely, no new G.Fast pods have been installed recently and only a few ISPs offer it.

So ignore G.Fast it's history, FTTP is the way forward.  I wish I could get it.😊

bmc
Hero
Fixes: 48

@deekayw 

Is it possible g.Fast was installed in years gone by? Given it's history I find it surprising OpenReach are installing it now.

Would it be possible to post the checker results (including the narrative) after hiding address and phone number details. You can view other addresses by using the Address version of the Checker - enter the post code only and then select an address from the drop down list.

Brian

RealAleMadrid
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 59

@bmc  I don't think there have been any G.Fast cabs installed since sometime in 2019 so I guess it must have been installed a long time ago and is showing as available on the checker.