Did you mean: 

GEA test request and static IP questions

FIXED
LaurenB
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 131

Re: GEA test request and static IP questions

Thanks @mpmc, I'm afraid as you have an engineer booked it won't actually allow me to run a GEA test, I know you weren't really having many issues before anyway, but can you see any difference your side at all?

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Lauren Barry
 Plusnet Help Team
mpmc
Grafter

As you can see, the download rate has improved slightly but the upload is worse and is lower than what DSL checker says we should get on a "clean" line..

Featured Products

Downstream Line Rate(Mbps)

Upstream Line Rate(Mbps)

Downstream Handback Threshold(Mbps)

WBC FTTC Availability Date

WBC SOGEA Availability Date

Left in Jumper

High Low High Low        
VDSL Range A (Clean) 31.3 20 6.7 4.5 16.8 Available -- --  
VDSL Range B (Impacted) 22.1 10.9 5.8 2 8.7 Available -- --

TheMightyAJ
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 126

Hi @mpmc,

Thanks for getting back to us with this information. I'm afraid that, until the engineer investigates further, there's nothing we can realistically do to improve the speeds that you're currently achieving, however once the fault is resolved and the line becomes more stable, your speed should also start to improve as well. Apologies for any inconvenience that this may have caused in the meantime and if you have any further queries please feel free to post them here.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Alex H
 Plusnet Help Team
mpmc
Grafter

@TheMightyAJ Thanks for your reply!

I understand there isn't much PN can do with the speed at the moment, I have no issues waiting for it to be sorted as long as we're not without internet for > three months like we were with BT.

We've had many issues in the past with this line.. I think we've had at least 9 visits over the years, 3 of those were to our neighbours three doors up! We jokingly say No internet for us and pray whenever we see someone messing with the cables in that manhole.

The above isn't to say OR engineers don't do a fantastic job because most of them do, it's just that they've come a number of times to a neighbour to repair a fault and our broadband has died. The poor [-Censored-]s are constantly ran off their feet too, all of the ones that came to us kept getting called non-stop for other jobs! Every few mins they had to stop to answer their mobiles!

mpmc
Grafter

Wow, poor guy was here from 2-6pm and still couldn't figure out what was causing the failures.

• Blamed our router(s), went to try his own, couldn't get a connection.
  • There's supposed to just 2 wires going into our house, he went in the manhole & found 6! "replaced the lot" (how?), no change, still a FAIL.
  • Thinks the wires from the manhole to the house are duff, says we need a Local Network Engineer

No update from plusnet as of yet, not sure when or if a "Local Network Engineer" will come.

The saga continues.

Jubby
All Star
Fixes: 31

Hi @mpmc

Please accept my apologies for the delay in replying to your ticket.

I have updated the fault ticket with regards to an underground engineer being assigned and you can access it here. Our faults team will continue to monitor the progress of the fault and update you as soon as possible.

Thank you.

Lewis G
 Infrastructure Operations Professional
mpmc
Grafter

@Jubby

Many thanks for the update. I've responded with a few requests, could you pass them along to OR please?

Thanks

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,599

No worries, I've updated your ticket for you now.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
mpmc
Grafter

Morning folks,

Any update to the ticket please? I did poke yourselves on Twitter yesterday, but no reply as of yet :(.

Thanks!

adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

Hi there, 

Things are looking more stable following the work the engineer carried out for us. How are things looking from your side?

Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
mpmc
Grafter

@adamwalker Thanks, yes it appears more stable Smiley Could you run another GEA test though please?

Also could you make sure that appointment for tomorrow afternoon has been cancelled if no longer needed?

Thank you

EmilyD
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 117

Hi @mpmc,

Thank you for getting back in touch. I'm glad to hear that things look to be more stable on your side true.

I've tried to run a GEA test on your line but unfortunately it's saying "Data not available from OR Test" which implies that there may still be an issue. Please can you keep an eye on your connection over the next day or so and let us know how you get on? If you experience any further problems with your connection we can escalate this back to our suppliers for further investigation - I've cancelled the appointment that was booked in for tomorrow afternoon for now.

Emily D
 Plusnet Help Team
mpmc
Grafter

Just thought I'd update this, our line has been stable for a few days now. OR called us on the Thursday to ask why we'd opened another fault? Huh I explained that I requested the appointment be cancelled via PN (as noted in this thread). He went on to explain our line is never going to get any better because we're on aluminium (which I know is bad for broadband, but didn't think we were on it). Crazy3 

I poked plusnethelp on twitter for another GEA test, I'm guessing that's still out of the question? Cry

JOLO
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 77

Fix

@mpmc,

I've updated the ticket again with the GEA test you requested. For some reason while a fault is open GEA won't run on your line, I think part of that is because background records are being updated because of the aluminium issue you noted and that will take them a while. Then when we've been testing to get you that GEA because it can't run it auto fails and then auto raises issuing our an external engineer that has then been trying to gain access. Sorry about that!