cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

GEA test for recent DL speed drop

FIXED
Fishfood

GEA test for recent DL speed drop

I have been with Plusnet Unlimited Fibre for may years now, and have always synced at around 70 Down and 18 Up. However, the past few months I have noticed irregularities with my connection while gaming or streaming and so checked my account info. My line speed was 76 Mb at the start of September, but today when I check I see that there is no estimated and only a current line speed of 57 Mb.

I am concerned that my download speed has dropped so much in the space of a month, and have had to activate QoS on my router for the first time since joining Plusnet. Could support please run a GEA test on my line to see if there are any obvious faults, and if not can they explain what has caused these speed drops?

5 REPLIES 5
MatthewWheeler
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 480

Re: GEA test for recent DL speed drop

Sorry to hear your speeds have dropped.

From what I can see this was a temporary drop and the speeds have improved back to where they were before

Let us know if you're still having issues

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Matthew Wheeler
 Plusnet Help Team
Fishfood

Thanks Matthew, I have just checked speeds and the DL has risen to about 61Mb. That is still about 10 shy of what I was getting before, but not a massive issue if there is no actual fault on the line. Thanks for checking.

I'll monitor this over the next day or two to determine if the new speeds stick or return to normal, then I'll mark the problem as fixed.

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,599

Fix

No worries at all.
Let us know if you need any further assistance.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
Fishfood

Hello again,

My broadband speeds have once again dropped to very low speeds compared to my normal. A test this morning returned a result of 48 Mbps, and a measurable amount of packet loss. This problem has been occurring on and off for the past couple of months now, and I would appreciate an answer as to why my connection is getting such inconsistent speeds.

Many thanks.

RandallFlagg
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 75

Hi @Fishfood

Thanks for getting in touch. I'm sorry to hear that your speed has dropped again.

I've just checked your connection from our side and we're seeing 74.7mb/s. Could you please confirm that you're still seeing a much lower speed via a wired connection and that you're in the test socket of your premises? If so, I'd recommend raising a fault here so that we can investigate this further for you.

Best wishes

Dave