cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

GEA line request

Syst3mSh0ck

GEA line request

Thought I would write up about my experience with PlusNet. I have been stress testing the ECI Lantiq VRX268 VDSL2 bridge modem and Asus RT-AC56U WiFi edge router with Merlin's 378.52_2 (5-Apr-2015) firmware. I have had the GEA-FTTC 80/20 circuit and line rental package with the Pro add-on for almost 4 months. PlusNet technical support staff will run a TAM or KBD test when asked and are generally helpful. Online ticketing system is useful and the staff are knowledgeable. Waiting times can be rather long sometimes. The quality of my experience with PlusNet has been a generally positive although I am not impressed by the Pro add-on. I have completed CPE checks.
Highest Throughput Rates:
Down: 7,800 Kbps (7.8 MB/s)
Up: 1,800 Kbps (1.8 MB/s)
Latency: 14ms
Typical Throughput Rates:
Down: 4,200 Kbps (4.2 MB/s)
Up: 1,300 Kbps (1.3 MB/s)
Latency: 20 - 45ms
These tests are via speedtest.btwholesale.com (BT Wholesale) and internet-speedtest.com (TalkTalk)
Modem xDSL interface reports no HEC or CRC errors. No line loss degradation or cross-talk. SYNC is solid and PPP Session is stable.
I have the BT NTE MK3 pre-filtered faceplate, a shielded RJ11 interconnect and high quality Cat6 STP cabling throughout.
Overall throughput performance is variable depending on what appears to be the VLAN path you are assigned via PlusNet's MPLS / BT Central. There is some intermittent congestion and packet loss occurring on and off peak times depending on the RAS you're routed through - the Gateways located at City Lifeline House (pcl-ag*) are usually contended whereas Telehouse West is much faster. Having the Pro add-on I would have thought the traffic would be prioritized across the least congested paths for higher throughput and lower latency ie QoS. The Telehouse endpoints that the PN POP's (Points of Presence) are terminating via MPLS / BT Central should be actively monitored against City Lifeline House pipes so the network load is weighted more fairly.
I'm pretty sure one of the Tier 2's could eChat a BT agent in the BT Wholesale portal under EcoPlus and request a VC rebuild and specify an SVLAN or MPLS Tag path for Telehouse.
It would be good to hear from a PlusNet agent about this.
Thanks for your time.
Regards,
Simon
2 REPLIES 2
deathtrap
Grafter

Re: GEA line request

Quote from: Syst3mSh0ck
I have been stress testing the ECI Lantiq VRX268 VDSL2 bridge modem and Asus RT-AC56U WiFi edge router with Merlin's 378.52_2 (5-Apr-2015) firmware. I have had the GEA-FTTC 80/20 circuit and line rental package with the Pro add-on for almost 4 months.
Highest Throughput Rates:
Latency: 14ms
Typical Throughput Rates:
Down: 4,200 Kbps (4.2 MB/s)
Up: 1,300 Kbps (1.3 MB/s)
Latency: 20 - 45ms
These tests are via speedtest.btwholesale.com (BT Wholesale) and internet-speedtest.com (TalkTalk)
Modem xDSL interface reports no HEC or CRC errors. No line loss degradation or cross-talk. SYNC is solid and PPP Session is stable.

I note you have a  ECI modem supplied by BT OR, As you seem to be observing a increase in latency and decrease in throughput, it likely that your circuit has had G.inp enabled on it, if your FTTC cab is of the Huawei type then very likely you have been G.inp ed, The ECI modem is incompatible with G.inp so falls back into a interleaved state,
If you have a huawei modem or other known G.inp compatible modem you can get your sync and latency back how they where , otherwise using the eci you will be stuck as is until/if BT roll out a firmware update or replace the modem,
PeeGee
Pro
Fixes: 3

Re: GEA line request

Quote from: Syst3mSh0ck

Kelvin bits per second?  Shocked Crazy
I also make tryping errors at times Wink
Phil
Plusnet FTTC (Sep 2014), Essentials (Feb 2013); ADSL (Apr 2009); Customer since Jan 2004 (on 28kb dial-up)
Using a TP-Link Archer VR600 modem-router.