cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

GEA Test Request

sweeep1963
Grafter

GEA Test Request

Hi, could I have a GEA test on my line please. My sync speed seems to 44.00mbps exactly every time even after a reboot.

Thanks

10 REPLIES 10
TheMightyAJ
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 126

Re: GEA Test Request

Hi @sweeep1963,

Together with our network partners at Openreach we will try to provide you with the best speeds possible. If you feel this is not the case, please raise your speed fault online at faults.plus.net

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Alex H
 Plusnet Help Team
sweeep1963
Grafter

Can you please run a GEA test

Thrall
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 23

I can’t help with getting you a copy of your GEA test but is your router plugged into the master telephone socket? Try using the test socket: https://community.plus.net/t5/Library/Testing-From-The-Master-Socket/ba-p/1322242

Check your speed after and if there’s no change to where you’d expect the speed, it’s probably worth raising a fault as per Alex’s post.

This will create a fault ticket and get you into the queue for Plusnet to investigate further.

sweeep1963
Grafter

I understand that but I just want to see the test results to see what profile I am on.

Thrall
Seasoned Pro

Post up a copy of your router stats as from that you can generally tell what profile you’re on

sweeep1963
Grafter

Could I ask something else regarding the pro add-on. Would this be beneficial in situations where one person is downloading files, maxing out the bandwidth, causing lag in internet calls etc.

Thrall
Seasoned Pro

Yeah the Pro Addon should prioritise bandwidth to your video calls over the other person within your household downloading of files. 

There’s a bit of info how it works here https://www.plus.net/help/broadband/about-plusnet-pro-addon/

RealAleMadrid
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 59

@sweeep1963  I consider the Pro add-on to be a relic of ADSL broadband and Plusnet's old traffic shaping system which is no longer in use. The pro-add-on should not be required on a fast VDSL2 connection and probably do nothing to help you. It also costs £5 a month I believe, so don't waste your money.

As for your speed issue it looks like your line is banded at 44Mbps your router stats would probably confirm this, as Plusnet are not doing much for speed faults at the moment you may have trouble getting them to request a DLM reset.☹️

sweeep1963
Grafter

It's frustrating as since last year the speed has slowly gone down from 54 to around 40, yet we can do nothing about it. Regarding the pro add-on, so it would be more beneficial in this situation to use a router with proper QoS to deal with bufferbloat, as the add-on would not work?

RealAleMadrid
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 59

@sweeep1963  If you look at the link that Thrall gave earlier in the thread, particularly the traffic prioritisation FAQs it states ...

Traffic prioritisation isn't applied to Unlimited, Unlimited Fibre, Unlimited Fibre Extra, Business Unlimited or Business Unlimited Fibre.

If you use the Pro add-on certain categories of traffic arbitrarily decided by Plusnet will have different priorities. You have no control over these categories and I am not sure that I agree with their argument which seems to be only based on speed. I would say for VOIP and gaming low latency is more critical than speed.

I am not convinced that the Pro add-on would be of any benefit, if you can use a router with configurable QoS that would be the approach I would go for.