cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

G.INP

chrcoluk
Grafter

Re: G.INP

then me and you see it in different ways, your point of view is if the content loads its fine.
If I want content to "just load", I could get by on a 5mbit adsl line.
I want maximum performance, higher latency decreases performance for everything, yes it may not be always immediately noticeable and some people are indeed used to permanent interleaving anyway, but for me its noticeable.
deathtrap
Grafter

Quote from: AndyH
Quote from: chrcoluk
a increase of latency affects everything.

Not really. I can drop my connection, reconnect and my base latency doubles. It does not affect me from browsing/gaming/streaming or using VoIP (Skype/Facetime). The only way I notice a difference is by using the ping command or looking at my TBB graph.

It would also depend on what your normal base latency is to begin with most have a min base latency of over 10ms  and if your gaming servers are in the usa  it does affect your online gaming experience , and i can notice the lack of snappiness when even browsing the web if interleaved ,
chrcoluk
Grafter

an extra 16ms (which people with ECI modems have reported) is most definitely noticeable.
also the 25% interleave stats is probably downstream only, on FTTC most people interleaved are on the downstream only.
InterZoom
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Quote from: chrcoluk
then me and you see it in different ways, your point of view is if the content loads its fine.

If you look at it, more of a pattern than a point of view, it seems to me.
Round and round things go.
A kind of sophisticated baiting and trolling.
---
Troubleshooting:
The Limitations of Traceroute & Ping
Latency: Connection "fast" but internet sluggish? Bufferbloat FAQ
Black Holes: Worth noting that the Plusnet Hub One router has an MTU of 1488 bytes.
chrcoluk
Grafter

not sure what is he intending, trolling? or just shilling.
To say if someone doesnt notice it means its not degraded is nonsense tho.
tijara33
Pro
Fixes: 6

Phew, what a relief that I don't do "gaming", whatever that is. I'm just happy to have a reliable & reasonably fast connection. Smiley I think that's Andy's point, the majority of PN customers feel the same as I do. There are only relatively few PN users posting on this forum.
InterZoom
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

"Relatively" doesn't even come into it.
There are less than 30,000 forum members and only a few hundred online at once, tops.
Compared to, what, 850,000 customers in total?
---
Troubleshooting:
The Limitations of Traceroute & Ping
Latency: Connection "fast" but internet sluggish? Bufferbloat FAQ
Black Holes: Worth noting that the Plusnet Hub One router has an MTU of 1488 bytes.
goldenfibre
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 12

For me, I am very happy overall with G.INP with Billion 8800NL as no problem for 29 days ongoing connection! Full max rate, low ping! All worked out well. Smiley

tijara33
Pro

Exactly my point! If users were feeling seriously impacted by the roll out of G.INP then the forum would be humming & PN & the other isps would be inundated with complaints, which they patently are not. This is a mere storm in a tea cup which I am sure will soon be resolved satisfactorily.
Terranova667
Pro
Fixes: 5

You really think the majority visit the forums either here or else where nope that's not how it is even if they had an issue most would phone their ISP first,  and do you think Plusnet or any other ISP would reveal if they had been swamped with calls complaining about the issues that G.INP has been causing no they wouldn't, just because forums are not being swamped doesn't mean that there's not a much bigger issue. 
PeeGee
Pro
Fixes: 3

How things change! Back in the early 70s we used to use the "5 second rule" - if the "glass teletype" took 5 seconds or more to respond then we would get complaints of slow speed, if it was less than 3 seconds most users thought it was "instantaneous" Cheesy
Plusnet FTTC (Sep 2014), Essentials (Feb 2013); ADSL (Apr 2009); Customer since Jan 2004 (on 28kb dial-up)
Using a TP-Link Archer VR600 modem-router.
tijara33
Pro

You really think the majority visit the forums either here or else where nope that's not how it is eve

YES
chrcoluk
Grafter

Quote from: tijara33

Exactly my point! If users were feeling seriously impacted by the roll out of G.INP then the forum would be humming & PN & the other isps would be inundated with complaints, which they patently are not. This is a mere storm in a tea cup which I am sure will soon be resolved satisfactorily.

this is a weakish argument.
most customers if they unhappy will vent via the phone lines.
fast isnt just down to max burst speed, latency affects speed alot more than people think.
e.g. the speed of a dns request is 99% to do with latency and 1% to do with burst speed, burst speed probably only comes into it if the max speed is saturated by something else and as a result latency increases due to bufferbloat.
a 1mbit line with 10ms latency will feel faster than a gigabit line with 50ms latency, it is what it is.
tijara33
Pro

this is a weakish argument.

No it isn't....................it's a FACT!! Grin
TR1PL3D
Grafter

Quote from: tijara33

No, it wouldn't!
I have been thorough this whole G.INP issue and resolved it mostly myself. I had to provide lots of technical information before anything was done, and the only way I could resolve it myself was to attach a G.INP compatible modem to my line. Most users wouldn't even know what telnet was or even how to use it!
Most people that notice the service degradation as a result of G.INP being enabled on a line with an incompatible modem, will be people that require their service to run at peak performance. For whatever that reason maybe.
If your a normal home user streaming videos, web browsing or some online gaming then you are unlikely to notice.Things will work, but they wont working at their best. Looks at it like putting low grade fuel in a Lamborghini.
However, if you are using your service for more demanding scenarios such as uploading 4K videos , serious online gaming etc etc, then bandwidth and latency are VERY important!