cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

G.INP

chrcoluk
Grafter

Re: G.INP

there was newer 8800axl firmware but due to sky's weird auth system not working with it billion pulled it very quickly, even tho I told them the likelyhood is it would be fine on all other isp's.
--edit--
they released it again here unofficially. (probably need to register to download)
http://www.billion.uk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=3522&start=60#p11264
tijara33
Pro
Fixes: 6

My first modem (2.5 years ago) was Huawei which after it failed was replaced 18 months later with an ECI modem. My performance increased substantially because I'm connected to an ECI cab.
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 316

Been reading this thread with interest.
Something has recently happened to my line too.
I have two 80/20 FTTC connections, a Plusnet circuit and a BT Retail one.
My Plusnet line, with an attainable rate of 91242kbps, has suddenly started synchronising at 76777kbps. Prior to this it's been a steady 79999kbps. A reboot of my HH5 shows that it seems to be stuck there. I've also noticed an increase in latency of about 10ms. There's a similar story over on BT's forums here.
Despite the Retail line coming in via the same pair, it's always synchronised a lot lower (~64000kbps) and to be honest I don't pay a lot of attention to it. If I check now though, I can see that it's in sync at 59999kbps and there are a lot of FEC errors being reported suggesting that interleaving is playing a part, at least on that circuit.
My Plusnet line has always been rock solid, so it's difficult to justify why it's taken this marginal performance dip.
I noted that somebody commented on blank GEA test results earlier in the thread too. I see the same when testing my Plusnet line Huh

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

Melancholie
Grafter

A guy has informed me this is expected behaviour.
The Huawei DSLAMs are designed to do that transparently - you ask them for n milliseconds of G.INP, and it *will* get you n milliseconds of noise protection, via interleave and FEC if G.INP isn't available in the G.994 stage.
However, the Huawei DSLAMs don't let you directly set the DSL parameters in the profile; instead you ask for things like "n ms of impulse noise protection", and the DSLAM interprets that for you.
So, if OR say "40ms of INP", and your modem does G.INP, you *get* retransmission and thus no latency increase. If your modem doesn't do G.INP, the DSLAM goes "OK then; interleave D = (value for 40ms), and we'll FEC it instead)
In turn, Huawei do this because the raw parameters at the DSL level are measured in awkward units (e.g. G.INP uses units of DSL symbols, not ms).
ericgripp
Grafter

Quote from: Bob
Been reading this thread with interest.
Something has recently happened to my line too.
I have two 80/20 FTTC connections, a Plusnet circuit and a BT Retail one.
My Plusnet line, with an attainable rate of 91242kbps, has suddenly started synchronising at 76777kbps. Prior to this it's been a steady 79999kbps. A reboot of my HH5 shows that it seems to be stuck there. I've also noticed an increase in latency of about 10ms. There's a similar story over on BT's forums here.
Despite the Retail line coming in via the same pair, it's always synchronised a lot lower (~64000kbps) and to be honest I don't pay a lot of attention to it. If I check now though, I can see that it's in sync at 59999kbps and there are a lot of FEC errors being reported suggesting that interleaving is playing a part, at least on that circuit.
My Plusnet line has always been rock solid, so it's difficult to justify why it's taken this marginal performance dip.
I noted that somebody commented on blank GEA test results earlier in the thread too. I see the same when testing my Plusnet line Huh

Hey Bob,
Something really weird is going on and im at my wits end to try and explain or understand it. I currently have ticket 101683118 opened if you wanted a quick read on my issue.
Long story short, new router today shows it may not be G.INP, but all I can explain is its as if all of a sudden im being forced to the low end of my profile.
BT checker says
FTTC Range A (Clean) 80 64 20 20
FTTC Range B (Impacted) 79.6 52.9 20 12.2
Its as if were being capped to our lowest possible profile value.
The billion I installed Today says -
Downstream Upstream
Line Coding (Trellis) On On
SNR Margin (dB) 6.2 8.5
Attenuation (dB) 14.2 0.0
Output Power (dBm) 12.9 4.8
Attainable Rate (Kbps) 87727 28598

Rate (Kbps) 69360 19999

Other people as well are seeing sudden loss of sync/speed.
I know whenever my sync went, there was no drop in sessions as the link had been up on the old plusnet modem for 20 days. Line had been stable for 2 years since 2013. I wrongly assumed G.INP but I just don't know whats gone wrong. To my knowledge the line has not been touched, nothings been swapped in cabinet, and between house and pole then pole to cabinet its direct to the cab.
Feeling under pressure now as im being told if things don't improve then I will have to move service away form plusnet. I know its not plusnets fault here, but something has happened in the last week or so, and im seeing other reports on other forums of the problem as well. I believe whatever the issue is as well, its not showing up on your internal systems, and people are wrongly being told nothing is wrong with the line.
With my conspiracy hat on id have to guess BT are now capping peoples profiles at the lowest possible values.
goldenfibre
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 12

ericgripp - your line probably getting g.inp enabled tomorrow if your cabinet are huawei. Your line is much higher than BT estimated today on your Billion.
P.S. Bob Pullen, very interesting to read your! Surprise Plusnet are better than BT on your max rate! Smiley
Melancholie
Grafter

ericgripp - you are on the interleaved profile as G.inp isn't available.
Your estimate includes overheads for error correction, your current sync rate doesn't, hence the discrepancy between max rate and your path rate.
Run a modem / router compatible with G.inp on the line and you're good to go. These are the dangers of running kit that is your own on the network - hasn't been tested for compatibility.
ericgripp
Grafter

Evening Golden,
I really don't know, I think its the lack of information that's frustrating me more than anything else. But it seems plusnet are not aware and neither are sky. My relative on sky who got his SR102 today as well is still not seeing an increase in sync. Im tired of wearing a tin foil hat now, I just want an honest answer from plusnet support or from BT as to why our connections have now degraded Sad
goldenfibre
Seasoned Pro

Quote from: Melancholie
These are the dangers of running kit that is your own on the network - hasn't been tested for compatibility.

That's not true. I use my Billion router for about 7 months now and no issues at all. I don't care of what BT Openreach saying if my Billion isn't compatibility for FTTC.
ericgripp
Grafter

ericgripp - you are on the interleaved profile as G.inp isn't available.
Your estimate includes overheads for error correction, your current sync rate doesn't, hence the discrepancy between max rate and your path rate.
Run a modem / router compatible with G.inp on the line and you're good to go. These are the dangers of running kit that is your own on the network - hasn't been tested for compatibility.

Just to update you
1) Both supplied ECI modem and plusnets modem did not show any signs of improvement - suspect one or other either has incompatible firmware or doesn't support G.INP.
2) Installed Billion 8800AXL which im told does support vectoring and G.INP, now that's only been on the line 6 hours or so, and no sign of G.INP unless it takes some time to kick in ?
I will gladly investigate all suggestions at this point.
goldenfibre
Seasoned Pro

ericgripp - trust me your G.INP will switched on tomorrow morning!  But I don't know if your cabinet are ECI or Huawei?
Once you get G.INP enabled, then u all good to go!
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 316

These are the dangers of running kit that is your own on the network - hasn't been tested for compatibility.

Which makes my situation interesting because I'm using a Home Hub 5. I presumably had no interleaving pre-G.INP, so why the need for it now?
@goldenfibre, the BT line used to sync at 79999kbps too back in the day. I never really did anything about the drop when it occurred though because it's not my primary connection. Funny thing is, both lines enter my property from the same cabinet, via the same shielded cable, and split directly behind my TV to two NTE's about two centimetres apart from each other. You'd expect them to run at the same rate  Roll_eyes

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

ericgripp
Grafter

And as Bob mentioned, whatever has been done to the line can be seen here
http://i.imgur.com/oUBf3lu.jpg
My line has been thrown into interleaving hell as well as a high FEC error rate. Yet line is quiet and was previously stable, suggesting again (and I don't like to point the finger at G.INP) that something has been changed causing high errors on the line. Again I have no reason to believe its weather, REIN or BT openreach engineer induced as the cabinet has been untouched lately.
So where are these errors coming from ? is it related to G.INP ? has this caused sync drop and if so how do you convince plusnet and the supplier to fix it ?
Goldenfibre - im remaining optimistic and hope things do improve Smiley
goldenfibre
Seasoned Pro

@ Bob Pullen Maybe one day I could get two lines of FTTC from my same cabinet. (One with Plusnet) and other one with different ISP. But, I haven't decided yet if I can go ahead and get 2nd line with different isp's FTTC. Because I am too scared that if I getting two x FTTC on two lines, it could make things worse!
ericgripp
Grafter

Quote from: Bob

Which makes my situation interesting because I'm using a Home Hub 5. I presumably had no interleaving pre-G.INP, so why the need for it now?
@goldenfibre, the BT line used to sync at 79999kbps too back in the day. I never really did anything about the drop when it occurred though because it's not my primary connection. Funny thing is, both lines enter my property from the same cabinet, via the same shielded cable, and split directly behind my TV to two NTE's about two centimetres apart from each other. You'd expect them to run at the same rate  Roll_eyes

Whats even more interesting and cryptic is that apparently the HH5 does support G.INP (scroll 2/3rds way down)
http://www.increasebroadbandspeed.co.uk/g.inp