cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

G.INP

NoZephy
Rising Star

Re: G.INP

Why would you want G.INP off the downstream?
I thought the whole point of having G.INP was so you could have the error correction but without the ping increases of standard interleaving that we've had to put up with for years now
ericgripp
Grafter

End users are not being asked for it to be turned off, all G.INP enabled lines are having it removed as between openreach and isps, rather than inform users about compatible line kit, or to send them out compatible line kit, we got a half assed baked software fix.
It worked flawless for months for me, now I see more line errors, but no disconnects. Total [Censored] fail.
dick:quote
w23
Pro
Fixes: 4

Yep, great fix for many lines but 'let's reverse half of it because some equipment can't handle it'
Imagine if they'd taken the same approach with ADSL2+, some modems only work on ADSL(1), so we'd better reverse the upgrade.  Crazy
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.
mlmclaren
Grafter

It don't make sense to me either and might not to Openreach either...
Unfortunately we can only speculate why OR decided to kill it on all lines instead of just ECI's... also no one is sure whether it will still be applied to lines (activate since)
Openreach don't make this information public and I don't think they even tell ISP's...
I would think they would bring it back in... whether it be with better capability or they sort the system out so that the correct profiles are assigned to lines with the appropriate equipment.
So if a DSLAM identifies a compatible Broadcom chip in a modem then it activates both upstream and downstream with ReTX profiles, if it picks Lantiiqs chip from ECI or HH5 then it applies ReTX to downstream and fast path/Interleaving to upstream and anything else not in in the capable datebase gets standard fast path and interleaving profiles..
But I think the system in use to do mass profile switching such as the one currently disabling G.INP (Upstream) will need some tweaking so it can only select a certain group of lines or equipment...
fishpan
Dabbler

Anyone know if the Planned BT Broadband maintenance posted on Plusnets service status site relates to the G.INP rollout in any way?
Terranova667
Pro
Fixes: 5

@fishpan No it's just regular maintenance openreach don't provide any public info on their roll out plans I don't think they even tell ISPs or if they did ISPs are not giving out that info either. it's all a wait and see. 
NoZephy
Rising Star

Quote from: w23
Imagine if they'd taken the same approach with ADSL2+, some modems only work on ADSL(1), so we'd better reverse the upgrade.  Crazy

Grin I was going to say something very similar in my last message but decided to omit it
"Guys, it's not fair that some people are able to connect to 21CN and use ADSL2+ and get better speeds on shorter lines so let's just remove it completely and go back to ADSL1. Heck, let's just go back all the way to dialup and make it fair for everyone" Cheesy
/s
Dodger21
Grafter

I can see this tread running for at least the next 10 years, what BT/OR are doing is putting a band aid over a torn jugular and so it will continue as the fibre take up increases the issues will get greater and drag the speeds back down again.
The only way to improve the system involves a massive investment and BT is too short sighted in it's outlook to consider it.
alext05
Grafter

Quote from: AndyH
As of 9/10 June, they had migrated 935k lines over to the new profile. They can do 50-60k lines a day and there are some 4.5 million Huawei lines, so I would say they are about half way through now. I'll get the updated figures next week.

Have you got new figures, out of interest?
NoZephy
Rising Star

Just thought I'd write an update if anyone is interested, my line is now G.INP active!
No more 8ms latency on the downstream and I've gone from a 69,000/19,000 sync to a 79,999/20,000 sync
(pic attached, note the INP @ 49.00 instead of 3.00)
Here's some speedtest for anyone interested in the improvements on my line. Included some thinkbroadband tests for the people who take issue with speedtest's "inaccuracies" Wink
Also I decided to test it out in a real download, so I booted up Steam and took a screenshot. Needless to say I'm impressed with G.INP so far. (Attachment)
Also just to confirm, my fibre service was activated AFTER G.INP v1.0 was put on hold and they paused the rollout. So @Cornholio you can take this post as confirmation that the rollout of G.INP v2.0 is actually in the works on lines that have never had any sort of G.INP on them before Wink
Without G.INP:

With G.INP:
mlmclaren
Grafter

Cheers for the update @NoZephy... i will keep a look out for this G.INP v2  Smiley
alext05
Grafter

Over the last few days my latency has gone down to 6-7ms as it was before G.INP fix 1. I assume G.INP fix 2 might have been applied to my line (I don't know for sure unless Plusnet can confirm).
However, my speed stayed the same as it was after the second fix - 63Mbps and well below what I had before G.INP - 74Mbps.
Am I now being artificially restricted or the speed should return back to what it was before soon?
kitz
Aspiring Pro

Quote from: AndyH
Not sure who quoted the 50%...
As of 9/10 June, they had migrated 935k lines over to the new profile. They can do 50-60k lines a day and there are some 4.5 million Huawei lines, so I would say they are about half way through now. I'll get the updated figures next week.

I said it on the 19th of June, which was the day after I'd had a conversation with someone very high up at Openreach who knew the exact figures at that date.
Quote from: NoZephy
Just thought I'd write an update if anyone is interested, my line is now G.INP active!

Thanks for that confirmation. I'd also previously said that the 'catchups' should commence once all the g.inp Mk1s -> Mk2's have been done Smiley
fishpan
Dabbler

@NoZephy - did you have to manually restart the modem or router or anything like that to obtain the new G.INP profile?
supernova1
Grafter

I'm still waiting for my line to be gimp enabled as I missed out on mk1 post April.
When I've been mk2 d, I'll post before and after stats.
At
SN