cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

G.INP

fishpan
Dabbler

Re: G.INP

Forgive me if this has been asked before, but has the G.INP rollout been paused recently due to the ECI problems? I ask as I've just updated and unlocked the Huawei HG612 modem I've had for ages and got the latest firmware. Looked in the router stats but seems like G.INP is still inactive after being plugged in for a while now. Have several CRC and ES errors recently on my line and am about 300m from the cab if that is relevant....
Terranova667
Pro
Fixes: 5

how long have you had it plugged in some have had to wait a couple of days before the effects of G.INP took hold of the line, as for it being halted I'm not 100% sure but i think it had been for new cabs that were enabled after the rollout was started and if you had a DLM reset there were reports that it took G.INP off the line i'm not sure if that was fixed, other than that I believe all other huawei cabs are enabled although i could be wrong.

fishpan
Dabbler

Thanks for the reply, I had it flashed and plugged in since Friday (15th May) morning so it's probably a matter of waiting like you say.
grahamt
Rising Star

I've been away for a few days so I'm catching up here. Scrolling back, I see that I'm one of those on the trial, with a Huawei cabinet and an ECI modem. I've just done a speedtest (Oookla's speedtest.net, with a consistemt server) and I see that:
There's no difference to my downstream speed, but I'm on the 40/20 package so I wasn't expecting any. My BT IP profile has actually gone down a bit, from 63.78 (on 23 Apr)  to 62.60, but that could be due to other factors.
My upstream speed has gone up from ca. 13.50mb/s to 14.25mb/s
My ping has gone back down to where it was before G.INP was activated, from 16mb to 9ms.
Obviously, some more tests are needed to see whether today's results are not just a fluke, but it's looking good.
supernova1
Grafter

@ Fishpan,
Hi,
G.INP on my cab appears to have been delayed.
The cab is new and was made live just at the time of the G.INP rollout and my unlocked modem shows G.INP NOT enabled.
Kitz also mentioned that this is the case on some other cabs he has heard about.
ATB
SN
andy265
Grafter

Just as an update, since my last restart of the modem on Thursday morning, I've had no more dropped connections (apart from power cuts last night and this morning) and the BT profile is still 77.44 and Plusnet profile 73.8. However, the latency is still about 6ms higher than it was before Thursday's resync, so it looks like I have interleaving with my ECI modem, even though I'm on a short line that normally has almost no errors.
30FTTC06
Pro
Fixes: 4

Quote from: grahamt
I've been away for a few days so I'm catching up here. Scrolling back, I see that I'm one of those on the trial, with a Huawei cabinet and an ECI modem. I've just done a speedtest (Oookla's speedtest.net, with a consistemt server) and I see that:
There's no difference to my downstream speed, but I'm on the 40/20 package so I wasn't expecting any. My BT IP profile has actually gone down a bit, from 63.78 (on 23 Apr)  to 62.60, but that could be due to other factors.
My upstream speed has gone up from ca. 13.50mb/s to 14.25mb/s
My ping has gone back down to where it was before G.INP was activated, from 16mb to 9ms.
Obviously, some more tests are needed to see whether today's results are not just a fluke, but it's looking good.

You appear to have the same results as me then, slight increase in upstream by about 1Mbps, my downstream varies depending on gateway as well, but the upstream always stays the same regardless via speedtests anyway.

elfish
Grafter

I have been on the VDSL2 service for 6 days now and this morning at 5pm, resync occurred and interleaving has been applied to the downstream path adding 8ms of latency and INP (not G.INP) set to 3. Nothing has been applied to the upstream path, but latency time has gone from 13ms to 25ms.
Both down and up speeds have decrease slightly, but I need to test it more.
Running a Fritz!Box 7390 attached to a Huawei DSLAM. Line attenuation is 9dB down, 11dB up, so quiet close to the cab.
I was getting errors (recording 2 CRC errors per minute), but nothing major.
What annoys me is the latency times for gaming. 'Super fast broadband' should be that, low latency and fast rates. DLM sticking its neck in again!
I do hope G.INP gets sorted out and applied, as we cannot go on with 'old school' interleaving methods from the ADSL era.
Cascy
Dabbler

http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/4368046881
As I was getting increased latency and slower upload speeds I put a ticket into plusnet  5 days ago. As there has been no reply, I have researched on my own.
I am guessing that G.inp has been initiated on my cabinet. The cabinet is a Huawei but my Openreach modem is an ECI. I see that ECI modems are not able to do retransmission on the upstream and also have a higher latency.
If the above is the case what are PlusNet doing about the situation? If it is a problem with just my line what are PlusNet doing about the problem.
elfish
Grafter

PN probably cannot do anything. All they could do is report the issue to BTO and hope that they fix the G.INP issue between the inter-compatible equipment.
That's if G.INP has really been applied to your line.
From what I can gather, it seems that a lot of VDSL2 connections are having interleaving applied and this is what is giving the higher latency and decrease in speed (by a small amount normally), and those that are running lines with G.INP applied, the issue with the inter-compatibility between the CPE modem and DSLAM.
Cascy
Dabbler

Thanks for replying elfish. I guessed that was the case but I'm a bit miffed that PN haven't replied to my ticket from 5 days ago. They could at least have said what you told me and confirm that G.inp had been applied.
Also by flagging up another case I'm hoping that it gives PN more ammunition for action by OR.
elfish
Grafter

For those interested, see attached the stats from my Fritz!Box.
mlmclaren
Grafter

Quote from: elfish
From what I can gather, it seems that a lot of VDSL2 connections are having interleaving applied and this is what is giving the higher latency and decrease in speed (by a small amount normally), and those that are running lines with G.INP applied, the issue with the inter-compatibility between the CPE modem and DSLAM.

It might seem that way but it all seems to be related.... Interleaving shouldn't reduce speed, it should only increase latency!
Unfortunately nobody has had any useful official information from Openreach on the issue yet and probably won't ever get one either, all I can say from what I've experienced and seen in these threads around the net is that Openreach seemed to apply a profile that seem to apply to all lines on an G.INP enabled DSLAM (Cabinet) and for equipment that doesn't support G.INP whether it be because of Chipset capability issues or just because firmware was not up to date (like in my case)
Now I know this wasn't supposed to be the case, and that lines where only supposed to have a Retransmission Profile applied once the DLM had confirmed a line and the CPE was compatible and required a G.INP profile.
Either way it seems that when a line wasn't capable with G.INP, then equipment starts thinking its something to do with INP and in turn increases latency and for some reason DLM then restricts the throughput of bandwidth so my modem could get sync of 65000kbps but would only sync at 56000kbps...
mlmclaren
Grafter

Quote from: Cascy
I'm a bit miffed that PN haven't replied to my ticket from 5 days ago. They could at least have said what you told me and confirm that G.inp had been applied.

If your equipment isn't compatible with G.INP then PLusnet will not be able to see the G.INP as it won't "officially" be applied to the line....
Cascy
Dabbler

Thanks for that mlmclaren. I'm new to this and am learning all the time. So the only way that PN and OR know that there is a problem if it is reported I guess.