cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

G.INP suddenly gone from line

Haybasha
Rising Star

G.INP suddenly gone from line

I had G.INP enabled on my ECI cabinet on the downstream around 2 weeks ago, this morning at around 5am it suddenly disappeared from my line and I'm back on Interleaving with a speed some 9Mbps less than I had.

Anyone else suffered the same?

As I have an OR visit planned next week for another issue will a reset bring G.INP back?

43 REPLIES 43
etdsaunders
Pro
Fixes: 7

Re: G.INP suddenly gone from line

According to @ray_dorset DLM may possibly remove G.INP.

DLM normally takes required actions during early hours around 4am, so possibly it's removed it.

Raspberry Pi enthusiast!
If you Like it, give it a Thumbs_Up
Haybasha
Rising Star

Strange, it's been running fine, no idea why that would be the case. Any idea if a reset will bring it back?

MatthewWheeler
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 479

With G.INP there isn't a straight answer I'm afraid.

A DLM reset will put your line on a open profile for 48 hours and then it may add G.INP if it think it's needed.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Matthew Wheeler
 Plusnet Help Team
Haybasha
Rising Star

@Matthew

It's needed as I've lost some 9Mbps of download speed.

My current line rate is still over 52Mbps and I'm connected at some 43Mbps with a throughput of only 40Mbps. Until this morning I was getting actual downloads of some 48-49Mbps on a connection rate of 52Mbps.

Andrue
Pro
Fixes: 1

@Haybasha wrote:

It's needed as I've lost some 9Mbps of download speed. 

But you might have gained more stability in exchange. DLM is more concerned with that than with raw speed. G.INP can only help with sporadic noise and if your line is suffering from the kind of interference that G.INP cannot cure then interleaving may be the only option.

Haybasha
Rising Star

Can't see that being the case, the line has been far more stable with G.INP than it ever was on Interleaving.

ray_dorset
Grafter

While you may be right that G.INP can only deal with sporadic noise, it deals very well with sporadic noise of the continuous kind as was seen recently with tenbyboy's connection.

Haybasha
Rising Star

I have a feeling that this is more to do with me taking my SBG3300-N off the line and replacing it with a HH5A a week ago that I borrowed to prove a point that it was not my equipment causing low upload speeds. The HH5A was actually worse.

I've put the SBG3300-N back on this morning but as it doesn't have 5GHz wireless I'm thinking of replacing it with a Netgear D7000 today.

If it was the HH5A I assume DLM will bring back the G.INP or if I can get OR to do a reset on Monday will that bring it back after the reset?

MatthewWheeler
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 479

@Haybasha

The HomeHub 5A is G.INP compatible but only on the downstream so I wouldn't expect that to be the cause for your download speeds dropping.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Matthew Wheeler
 Plusnet Help Team
etdsaunders
Pro

@MatthewWheeler stated A DLM reset will put your line on a open profile for 48 hours and then it may add G.INP if it think it's needed.

So, you can't really tell. Have you got an engineer booked for monday?

Raspberry Pi enthusiast!
Andrue
Pro
Fixes: 1

@ray_dorset wrote:

While you may be right that G.INP can only deal with sporadic noise, it deals very well with sporadic noise of the continuous kind 

Oh definitely. I'm not trying to denigrate G.INP. Merely point out that it doesn't fix everything and it's conceivable that DLM has seen something that it feels would be better resolved by falling back to interleaving.

can get OR to do a reset on Monday

Only a BT engineer can do that and they only do it if:

a) They remember how.

b) They can be bothered.

c) They think it's warranted.

In the absence of an engineer visit you just have to hope that DLM eventually changes its mind. That can take days or weeks.

Haybasha
Rising Star

Well let me go through these questions:

1. The HH5A I was using was borrowed and I'm not sure if it had pre G.INP firmware on it which would explain the sudden loss after some 6 days on it I guess. No chance of me attaching it to my line again to check either.

2. I believe DLM has seen the HH5A which as far as my line is concerned have always been terrible, I bought the SBG3300-N when I was on BT Infinity due to the constant disconnections using a HH5A back then. A total waste of good polymer they are.

3. Netgear Nighthawk D7000 now attached and seems rock solid after updating to latest firmware so I'll see how it goes.

4. Yes I have OR visiting on Monday as my upload speed was well below the FTTC A Low level, it's still lower than it should be but with the Netgear on I've gained around 1Mbps on the upload.

etdsaunders
Pro

Hopefully BTOR engineer finds a fault on the line then, so he can reset DLM.

I've had them out for poor speed, and because the only fault he could detect was the vdsl modem faulty. He couldn't reset DLM even though I asked his reply was 'speed will increase hopefully'
Raspberry Pi enthusiast!
Haybasha
Rising Star

Even PlusNet could see my low upload speed, OR aren't leaving here until they reset my line Wink