cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

G.Fast pod on my cabinet, but not in DSL checker?

goldenfibre
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 12

Re: G.Fast pod on my cabinet, but not in DSL checker?

Openreach told me there still trial on g.fast. If the g.fast pod is fitted to the pcp cabinet and it will not go LIVE until BT Wholesale G.Fast commercial rollout then it will show up on the DSL Checker.

Mordorf

Does anyone know when the trial is scheduled to end and when the commercial rollout is likely to be?
VinceMarsters
Grafter
Fixes: 1

I wish the trial would finish soon and Plusnet would start offering it fully - as long as the price isn't stupid I would order it now. My cabinet is listed as available and my clean line rate is 330 (hi/lo) so i should see a considerable speed improvement compared to FTTC (which at 80 is not too shabby). The only slight issue for me is the G.Fast pod is listing as amber availability now, so I guess it is filling up.

goldenfibre
Seasoned Pro

You are more likely to wait a very long time for plusnet to bring G. Fast product on it. Probably won't happen this year. Go to different isp who can offer you g. Fast now. What are your line length to the cabinet that's showed under GEA test result.
VinceMarsters
Grafter
Fixes: 1

I'm in contract until 2020 so limited without buying out and the extra speed isn't worth that much - just wishful thinking on my behalf. I don't have a GEA test result from what I can see (though I can be blind sometimes). The cabinet is not far away (about 6 houses down the street) and I get speeds around 72-75Mbps throughput usually, so about the expected level for an 80Mb sync.

You can see my ADSL stats are poor though - the copper line from the cabinet to the exchange is in a very poor state, and any new phone lines cause pain for the engineers as they try to find some good pairs (took an engineer about 45 minutes to find one for me a few years back). At the time the ADSL expected speeds were around 12-15Mb from memory, but I was lucky to get 4Mb reliably.

Screenshot from 2019-03-25 21-23-55.png

Mordorf

It seems that it is a g.fast pod on the cabinet and it's now taking orders. Unfortunately Plusnet are still not offering the service so off I go to Zen. Full speed ahead starts Wednesday morning. Luckily Zen are a superb ISP that I have used before. To be honest the only two ISPs that I'd consider using providing I have the choice are Plusnet and Zen. So bye-bye Plusnet at least for now.
goldenfibre
Seasoned Pro

@Mordorf  let's us know how it goes with g.fast from zen internet. As for PN, they will not offer g.fast because it cost too expensive monthly charge from BTWholesale. PN is a budget value for money.