Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Full Fibre FTTP delayed again?

bmc
Hero
Fixes: 48

Re: Full Fibre FTTP delayed again?

@Lwio 

If you look to move then you need to contact the PlusNet Options Team on 0800 013 2632 (I think) to ensure they have a note to waive charges. They then put you through to BT or EE I believe for you to place your order.

Brian

RobPN
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 13

@YouKnowIThatGuy wrote:

PlusNet cannot guarantee FTTP. It's a matter of infrastructure. That infrastructure is ran by OpenReach.

@YouKnowIThatGuy 

Not entirely relevant.  Once that OR infrastructure is in place it's down to the various ISPs who use OR to decide whether to use it or not.  Many do, PN chooses not to for reasons of their choosing, suspected by some to be lacking back-office capabilities.

PlusNet ran an FTTP trial in 2018.

The trial started a long time before 2018.  I've been on it since 2015 and it started well before then.

@YouKnowIThatGuy wrote:

I very much doubt PN will be serving FTTP to remove locations any time soon.

Presuming you mean 'remote' locations, you seem to be contradicting yourself.  You keep preaching that the infrastructure belongs to OR which indeed it does, so once OR have put infrastructure in place in those remote locations, why wouldn't PN use it after they start providing FTTP?

And there's no reason why some people on the PN FTTP trial aren't in remote locations either, providing their location was FTTP enabled by OR prior to the trial being closed to new entrants.

@YouKnowIThatGuy wrote:

Yep, it's all about infrastructure. Those FO telecom cabinets aren't cheap.

Again, presuming your 'FO' means Fibre Only, what telecom cabinets are you referring to?  Don't you know that FTTP doesn't involve cabinets (like FTTC does)?

ukguy1
Aspiring Pro

If you call the options team then they put you through to BT to place your order be careful if you intend to get the £100+ cashback BT offer through Quidco.
You have to buy online via the link.
ukguy1
Aspiring Pro

FTTP is actually being taken to rural locations before urban in many areas.
Those of us in those locations have been paying the same price as urban for much less urban for years.
Fttp here could get 900meg, at the house I’m renovating in the town there’s no fttp.
RobPN
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 13

Yes @ukguy1 , you know that, I know that, but it seems @YouKnowIThatGuy has a problem with it!  Smiley

FlossyThePig
Rising Star

• Openreach has installed fibre optic cables to the poles along our lane and I have had confirmation that "Full" fibre is now available.
  • BT have announced they are turning EE into its "Flagship Brand for UK Consumers" and BT become the flagship brand for their Enterprise and Global units.
  • BTs VOIP offering of "Digital Voice" is a joke as the call charges are on a par with their landline charges.

As my contract runs out at the end of November do I jump ship now or wait to see if PN get their act together?

bmc
Hero
Fixes: 48

@FlossyThePig 

Latest word on PlusNet FTTP is "very soon" with at least two staff members mentioning it recently.

There's no word on what the PlusNet phone service will look like on FTTP - do you need a landline?

Brian

Lwio
Rising Star

Hmm. Very soon would be very good. I'm sure there's plenty of people on here waiting for this to be offered.

£56 for top fttp tier on BT. If Plusnet could cut a few quid off that it would be nice.

heatingear
Hooked

I suspect they'll align things with TalkTalk, but will be interesting to see.  Also wonder if it will launch with a phone service (EE don't offer this).

BT and EE pricing is region-dependent.  e.g. the 900 top tier with BT for my postcode is currently £50.99.  500 is £40.99 and 150 is £30.99.

pint
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 1

You will still need a landline as this is what will be used to deliver the signal to your property  , all be it a fibre line as opposed to copper

FlossyThePig
Rising Star

As the Plusnet Hub Two router is a rebadged BT Smart Hub it has VOIP built in so no need for copper wires. When Plusnet finally implement FTTP they will probably offer an equivalent to BT's Digital Voice.

If their charges for "Plusnet Voice" is similar to BT's Digital Voice I'll be using something like Sipgate for VOIP.

beeceegee
Pro
Fixes: 4

I am on the PN FTTP trial. I also do not want to take a BT-like digital voice, which would tie me to a PN Hub, so have just migrated my phone number from the standard copper wire to voip (with A&A). I am now on PN broadband (no phone). Now looking forward to comparing PN's retail FTTP offerings

(Note - this option may not be available if you are on FTTC or ADSL, which use the copper line for all or part of the service)

dvorak
Fixes: 1,482

@FlossyThePig wrote:

As the Plusnet Hub Two router is a rebadged BT Smart Hub it has VOIP built in so no need for copper wires. When Plusnet finally implement FTTP they will probably offer an equivalent to BT's Digital Voice.

It is disabled in the Hub2 though, I'd have thought if that were coming it would be enabled. 
Keeping an FTTP firmware with it enabled and xDSL without would seem a headache?

Though I suppose they could be preparing a big firmware update roll out with it enabled, seems doubtful though. 

Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
Ian06
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 2

@dvorak wrote:

@FlossyThePig wrote:

It is disabled in the Hub2 though, I'd have thought if that were coming it would be enabled. 
Keeping an FTTP firmware with it enabled and xDSL without would seem a headache?

Though I suppose they could be preparing a big firmware update roll out with it enabled, seems doubtful though. 

I thought BTOR were aiming to stop support for PSTN by the end of 2025 pending a battery backup (BBU) solution, so PN will need to offer VoIP at some point soon.  Could be a separate adapter (ATA), but it would seem more logical (and cheaper) to follow the BT route and use the support already in the Smart Hub.

I would have thought PN will want to continue providing a home phone line to their full fibre customers, so will have to start offering a VoIP solution or more and more PN customers will be turned off.   Don't know what phone connection they offered to those on their FTTP trial.?

I guess I also assumed BTOR will want to disconnect the old copper lines as customers sign up to FTTP and that customers won't pay for both copper and fibre connections.

dvorak
Fixes: 1,482

I'm not so sure, the number of users on these boards who don't have a phone to test their landline when there are issues seems very high.
No clue as to what percentage of people use landlines but I suspect it's less than 50% and mainly in the 'older' generations.
Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'