Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fttp rollout question

FIXED
leehowarth
Grafter

Fttp rollout question

Hi folks, I've just registered as I have a query I'm hoping one of you technical bods may be able to answer.

I live on a small estate (approx 50 houses) and we are not served by fibre, I'm guessing that's because it wouldn't be worth it for BT.

I regularly go on the open reach checker and about 6 months ago it said my line was on the fttp rollout plans.

I noticed a dozen workmen the other day were doing some digging so I looked on roadworks.org which said they were excavating for BT to locate and remove a blockage in a duct. The holes are in the middle of the estate and not on the route to the cab which sits at the estate entrance.

They were there all day, then the next day a van returned and the guy was working inside a duct next to the cab all day.

My question: is this indicative of a fttp rollout?

I understand that fttp bypasses the cab and they install nodes inside the ducts.

The reason I ask is I have ordered adsl from plus net (currently with BT), I wouldn't want to be tied into a contract if fttp is available only to find out I can't get fttp through plus net.

Any thoughts?
7 REPLIES 7
Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,599

Re: Fttp rollout question

My question: is this indicative of a fttp rollout?

It's possible. I'd check the BT DSL Checker at www.dslchecker.bt.com as well as the Openreach website. When/if "WBC FTTP" appears under "Featured Products", we should be able to order it if you signup at http://trials.plus.net

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
leehowarth
Grafter

Just spoke to an engineer who's working in the duct right now and he confirmed they're installing fibre and it will be complete soon.

So my new question is will Plus net be able to supply it?
bmc
Hero
Fixes: 48

If you are a PlusNet customer then you are eligible to join the FTTP trial - I moved from ADSL to FTTP. Once it's available and you submit a request it all depends on the availability of engineers to do the house install. The DSL checker will say if it's a "I stage" or "2 stage" install which means one or two visits by the house install team. Probability is it will be one stage as that is the new way of working. The narrative to the DLS Checker results might give further info.

http://www.dslchecker.bt.com/adsl/adslchecker.welcome

The following gives some idea of how FTTP is being installed.

http://blog.thinkbroadband.com/2016/06/a-peek-at-the-future-world-of-openreach-fttp/

All completion dates should be taken with a pinch of salt. It happens when it happens.

Brian

leehowarth
Grafter

Thanks for the response, my concern was having FTTP available and being stuck in an 18 month contract on ADSL and unable to join the trial (the name kind of suggests not everyone can use it.).

bmc
Hero
Fixes: 48

The "trial" part has two consequences. It is for existing PlusNet customers only (though it's been known for people to order ADSL and then apply for FTTP as soon as the PlusNet connection is live).

The more important part is the FTTP service has not been integrated into PlusNet back office systems and few support staff have been trained up on it. If you phone or use Live Chat the probability is whoever you speak to will know little or nothing about FTTP. Only real support is via the FTTP Trial forum.

PlusNet TV is not available via the Trial.

What you may have done is to lock yourself into a phone contract if you've taken the phone and internet package!!! Once on FTTP you no longer need a phone line for internet so if circumstances allow you can do without it. Without a phone line PlusNet FTTP is a very, very cheap product (which will annoy those who can't get it)!!!

Brian

leehowarth
Grafter

cheers for the info, ill have to call PN tomorrow.

Looking at the offer it is £18.99 for 18 months including line rental so i've no idea how they would work out moving to fttp mid contract. I would be happy to pay more to have fibre to be honest and am not bothered about having a phone line, we haven't used our phone in years.

I have 36 hours before I can no longer cancel my migration.

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,599

Fix

For FTTP, the costs of the fibre packages are either Unlimited Fibre at £14.99 or Unlimited Fibre Extra at £19.99.

On top of that is line rental at £18.99.

Some people choose to cease their phone line mid-contract paying a cancellation charge that usually works out to be cheaper than paying £18.99 per month. They'd then pay just £2.50 extra per month on top of the fibre package.

If you're wanting to avoid any cancellation charges for removing the phone line, I'd recommend signing up on a non-contract basis. To do that, you'd need to call us to close your account and then re-open a new one which may delay the transfer.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet