cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fttp (Again)

danlebath

Fttp (Again)

I've been with Plusnet for several years now and always found the customer service to be great and hardly any dropouts (adsl  13mbs on a 20mbs service.. plus I have a SamKnows white box so I know exactly what's happening)   However, I now have FTTP in the area and would love to upgrade. Stupidly I signed up on a 2 year contract and this won't run out for 13 months.  I didn't know last November, FTTP would arrive 6 months later.  The cost from getting out of the contract is over £100 😭 So please Plusnet.. Bite the bullet and let's have a FTTP option again.. or I'll just have to stare jealously at the telegraph pole for over another year.. grrr 🤐

7 REPLIES 7
PaPow
Dabbler

Re: Fttp (Again)

Your in the same position as I was. I was in a 2 year contract and halfway through FTTP arrived in the village. When my contract was up I was all up for moving to Zen (need static IP) and convinced the Mrs 500Mbps would be super duper. Then Plusnet emailed me an offer and I totally changed my mind overnight. I've just signed up for another year on ADSL with Plusnet for equivalent of £10 a month all in. If Plusnet start doing FTTP I'll move over to it until then I'm going to stay where I am and save a few quid in the process.

On reflection I found the times I was wanting more was fairly infrequent and generally it was only when had a game to install or update which I just leave overnight anyway. MS Flight Simulator 2020 took a while though on the 8Mbps we currently get. 🐵

DaveCW
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 3

I Posted a similar tread a few days ago, Come on Plusnet extract your digit and get a FTTP product up and running!

ndv
Dabbler

Is that £10 a month including line rental?  Sounds a good offer.... were you in the process of leaving when you received the email?  I'm in the same position... ADSL (~1.5Mbps) and FTTP now available.... but not from Plusnet!

Tags (2)
PaPow
Dabbler

I was planning to leave but had not told Plusnet so they had no idea. I got an email saying my contract was nearly up and I could have the same deal as a new customer. I think it actually told me the best deal available too if I remember right. So I worked it out a few times because I thought this can't be right and then signed up.

Like I say it is equivalent of because of the £50 reward card, but with that you get:

£17.99 Line rental + broadband + Evenings & Weekend calls.
- £3.75 Referrals
- £4.16 £50 reward card / 12
= £10.08 per month equivalent.

Being from Yorkshire I decided I could live with ADSL another year for that price. 🐵

Thing is I have got used to the ADSL now and have things in place to make it less of a problem. The kids watch a lot of youtube so I have scripts running during the night to download any new videos in the channels they watch so their media is all local on my media server. Reduces the load during the day and it means they get no adverts too so its a win/win.

Plusnet did manage to get the first bill wrong and charge me more but I called them up, was refunded and a correction was made for my future bills. Happy days.

pint
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 1

How long did they take installing FTTP?? there digging the roads up everywhere near me with temporary traffic lights infesting the place like a plague, combined with coils of wire ( fibre) hangning from the wooden phone poles

MauriceC
Resting Legend
Fixes: 17

@pint wrote:

How long did they take installing FTTP?Huh

It could be several weeks (months?) yet. Configuration, Testing etc needs to be done. in our village it was abut 8 weeks after all visible engineer activity ceased before it became available to order.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

ndv
Dabbler

@PaPow wrote:

£17.99 Line rental + broadband + Evenings & Weekend calls.

Thanks for that helpful explanation. The offer of £17.99 for LR, BB and the E&W call package (normally £5) sounds a great deal!  I think that might persuade me to stay put as well, but so far they've only offered me £19.99 for LR & BB only  🙁