cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fritz!Box 7590 slower than a cheap modem or is my line faulty again ?

MauriceC
Resting Legend
Fixes: 17

Re: PN Read Please - Re: Fritz!Box 7590 slower than a cheap modem or is my line faulty again ?

@HarryB  No Plusnet touch for a week.  Has any progress been made?

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Phaeton
Rising Star

Re: PN Read Please - Re: Fritz!Box 7590 slower than a cheap modem or is my line faulty again ?

Not that it will make you feel any better but you are not alone, my speed plummeted 25% overnight in March & has not recovered, there have been 2 engineers visits both with negative external faults, yet the slow speed remains. No response from Plusnet in 4 days.

HarryB
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 256

Apologies for the delayed response here @daveg6hni

Are you still experiencing the same issues this week?

Testing the line isn't flagging up any issues, the sync is within the estimates and the profile is the maximum for your provisioned product:

GEA Test Detail
Circuit ID NA Service ID [removed]

Test Outcome Pass
Test Outcome Code GTC_FTTC_SERVICE_0000
Description GEA service test completed and no fault found .
Main Fault Location OK
Sync Status In Sync
Downstream Speed 38.2 Mbps
Upstream Speed 6.0 Mbps
Appointment Required N
Fault Report Advised N
NTE Power Status PowerOn
Voice Line Test Result Pass
Bridge Tap Not Detected
Repetitive Electrical Impulse Noise Not Detected
Estimated Line Length In Metres 983.8
Upstream Rate Assessment Reasonable
Downstream Rate Assessment Very Good
Interference Pattern Regular Interference Observed on Week Days
Service Impact No Impact Observed
Interference Duration Longest Occurrence From 14:30 to 23:45
Interference Location Customer Premise
Home Wiring Problem Not Detected
Downstream Policing Discard Rate 0.0
Customer Traffic Level Upstream and Downstream Traffic Detected
Technology VDSL
Profile Name 0.128M-40M Downstream, Interleaving Low - 0.128M-10M Upstream, Error Protection Off
Time Stamp 2018-05-15T14:45:00
Parameters MIN MAX AVG
Down Stream Line Rate 36.3 Mbps 40.0 Mbps 39.2 Mbps
Up Stream Line Rate 5.9 Mbps 5.9 Mbps 5.9 Mbps
Up Time 866.0 Sec 900.0 Sec 899.8 Sec
Retrains 0.0 1.0 0.0

Featured Products

Downstream Line Rate(Mbps)

Upstream Line Rate(Mbps)

Downstream Handback Threshold(Mbps)

WBC FTTC Availability Date

WBC SOGEA Availability Date

Left in Jumper

High Low High Low        
VDSL Range A (Clean) 44 32.4 7.8 5.4 27.4 Available Available --

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Harry Beesley
 Plusnet
daveg6hni
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Hi, well Ben & Gandolf both said there was an external issue with the line ?

I have not yet had any confirmation that it has been rectified ?

However, the week before last I saw things improve in my Fritz Box settings...

Negotiated Connection Properties

Receive Direction Send Direction
Max. DSLAM throughput kbit/s 40000 10000
Min. DSLAM throughput kbit/s 128 128
Attainable throughput kbit/s 42745 5953
Current throughput kbit/s 39999 5953
Seamless rate adaptation   off off

Latency   fast fast
Impulse Noise Protection (INP)   44 0
G.INP   on off

Signal-to-noise ratio dB 7 6
Bitswap   on on
Line attenuation dB 24 32

Profile 17a    
G.Vector   off off

Carrier record   B43 B43

Error Counter

Seconds With Not Remediable Errors (CRC)
  Errors (ES) Many
Errors (SES)
per
Minute
Last
15 Minutes
FRITZ!Box 1870 1138 0.88 0
Central exchange 376 0 0.07 0

The attainable speed increased from 32 Mbps to 42 Mbps and the current throughput increased from 32 Mbps to 39.999 Mbps and I was looking forward to improved D/L speed, but so far this has not been the case according to my Sam Knows stats, my D/L speed is bouncing between 25 & 30 Mbps, whereas before April it was a rock steady 32 Mbps. and last year it was a rock steady 35.8 Mbps until 1st April 2017 !

If you are saying the line has been fixed then I could try the old modem again, but I am trying to avoid too many changes in case I trip the DLM algorithm  Huh

Also I see that it mentions interference on line between 14:30 and 23.45 and that it is located at my premise Huh

I do not recognise the timings to coincide with anything ?

Can you expand on that at all, is there something I need to check or can do about it if it exists ?

Please advise.

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,600

Hi there.

There was an external issue which I reported to our suppliers and has been resolved.

Looks like you received confirmation shortly after your post yesterday.

From what I can see your sync rate of 38mbps is above your estimates of 32mbps.

Can you run a BT speedtest at http://www.speedtest.btwholesale.com using a wired connection, completing the further diagnostics at the end? This will store the result on the supplier system and will help us in reporting a fault to our suppliers.

(Might need to use Internet Explorer or Microsoft Edge as the BT test doesn't play well with Chrome or Firefox)

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
daveg6hni
Rising Star

I did a BT speed test yesterday but it was still only around 30Mbps, however, looking at my Sam Knows stats for the last 24 hrs, it appears by D/L speed has bounced back up to just under 36Mbps and has remained there since I reset the router yesterday evening Smiley

So hopefully as you say it has been fixed and we are finally back to normal.

I will run another BT test when I get home tonight.

I will also continue to monitor things for a while, but thanks to all for all your assistance.

Dave

>>> UPDATE <<<

Just got in and done a speed test and for the first tie in over a year I'm back up to 35.6 Mbps Smiley

http://www.speedtest.net/result/7337166415

Will now do a BT test

SpendLessTime
Hero
Fixes: 86

@daveg6hni

Just in case he haven't been told, but the BT Speedtest will return incorrect results in Firefox and Chrome browsers. It does show good results in Microsoft IE and Edge browsers.

Plusnet are aware as are BT but nothing has been done to sort out the issue. Hence my added warning.

Ex - Plusnet Customer (2009 - 2023) now with BT
daveg6hni
Rising Star

Hi, Thanks for the heads -up, as it happens I was using IE11 as it would not work in Edge as I don't allow Adobe Flash in it.

It gave me an even higher result, 36.85 Mbps, so I'm happy for the first time in just over a year Smiley

But a bit annoyed that despite my repeated claims that something was wrong, PN & BT insisted that everything was within limits and no faults were being detected. I even had a PN supervisor phone me to say that 32 Mbps was as good as it was going to get given the 800m between me and my BT cabinet . However, no one could, or would, explain how for several years I had, up until 1st April 2017, been consistently downloading at 35 Mbps and syncing at 40 Mbps Huh

Attached is my latest BT Test and mySpeedtest.net results for the last 24 months

Phaeton
Rising Star

It's all about the money, to give customers what they actually are paying for would cost them more & hit the bottom line, therefore they traffic shape everybody & only sort out the ones that are vocal & complain.

HarryB
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 256

@daveg6hni

@daveg6hni wrote:
I even had a PN supervisor phone me to say that 32 Mbps was as good as it was going to get given the 800m between me and my BT cabinet .

It's possible there may have been some confusion around this. Although it's certainly possible you'd get more than 32Mbps, as your estimates are 32.4Mbps-44Mbps, if for example you were in sync at 33Mbps, our suppliers would not accept this as slow speeds as it's within the 32.4Mbps-44Mbps estimates provided for your line.

@Phaeton

@Phaeton wrote:
therefore they traffic shape everybody

We don't traffic manage or shape.

In the past we had traffic prioritisation to ensure specific traffic on your connection had a relevant priority over other traffic on your connection. For example, a VoIP call would get higher priority than Peer to Peer downloads/software updates, so if you were on a VoIP call, and windows decided to start downloading updates, the software update may be slower than the VoIP call in an attempt to not interrupt the call. However as stated above, we no longer do this.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Harry Beesley
 Plusnet
daveg6hni
Rising Star

Maybe I spoke too soon...

I have been monitoring things for the last 24 hrs and I noticed a few CRC errors which have now caused (DLM) the DSLAM max to drop down to 34999 MBps, so I'm back down to 32 Mbps D/L speed Sad

I suspect the interference that started on 1st April 2017 and lasted until 30th June 2017  and reappeared again in April 2018 is the cause of the CRC errors as previous to the interference for several years I was downloading at between 37 & 35 Mbps and when I was on the Up-to-80Mbps Trial I was getting 44Mbps D/L speed consistently.!

Max. DSLAM throughput kbit/s 35000 10000
Min. DSLAM throughput kbit/s 128 128
Attainable throughput kbit/s 44040 5912
Current throughput kbit/s 34999 5912

Latency   fast fast
Impulse Noise Protection (INP)   44 0
G.INP   on off

Signal-to-noise ratio dB 10 7
Bitswap   on on

Profile 17a    
G.Vector   off off

Carrier record   B43 B43

Error Counter

Errors (ES) Many
Errors (SES)
per
Minute
Last
15 Minutes
FRITZ!Box 1 0 0.02 0
Central exchange 3 0 0.02 0
daveg6hni
Rising Star

Disappointing that PN seem to have lost interest and haven't even replied to my open ticket

Speed has dropped below 30Mpbs again see attachments

https://www.thinkbroadband.com/broadband/monitoring/quality/share/thumb/12fd0f7198fd894ae360ff83b6a4...

Max. DSLAM throughput kbit/s 32400 10000
Min. DSLAM throughput kbit/s 128 0
Attainable throughput kbit/s 43417 6232
Current throughput kbit/s 32400 6232

Latency   fast fast
Impulse Noise Protection (INP)   43 46
G.INP   on on

Signal-to-noise ratio dB 11 6
Bitswap   on on

Profile 17a    
G.Vector   off off

Carrier record   B43 B43

Error Counter

Errors (ES) Many
Errors (SES)
per
Minute
Last
15 Minutes
FRITZ!Box 0 0 0 0
Central exchange 0 0 0 0
MasterOfReality
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 57

Hi Dave, 

I can see that your router is currently syncing at 31Mbps this is below the estimates which Harry provided you with further up this thread. 

We may well be able to raise this as an issue with our supplier, however we require you to perform some home checks before hand. 

I have sent this ticket to your account explaining what needs to be done. 

Please give it a read through and reply with the requested information. 

Kind Regards, 

daveg6hni
Rising Star

OK, Hi Alisdair and thanks for the reply.

I'm not sure if you have read all the case notes, but I am using a Fritz!Box 7590 combined modem and router, so I cannot do the PPPoE test you suggest unless I track down my old Open Reach Modem ?

Also I am not using Wi-Fi on my computer, so it is nothing to do with Wi-Fi !

Also my Fritz!Box is plugged directly into the master sockets RJ11 connector and I have no internal wiring connected to it.

I have just done another BTW test, and I have done several previously.

I believe the issue appears to be to do with external interference on the line, the exact same issue occurred last year between 1st April & 30th June, see my forum posts to see my Sam Knows graphs. Before 1st April 2017 I was able to download at 35.8Mbps, April to June is dropped to below 30Mbps after 1st July it recovered to 32Mbps as DLM prevented me from going any faster. When the fault was diagnosed in April 2018 and supposedly fixed and DLM reset such the my DSLAM max went back up to 40Mpbs and Attainable to 44Mbps it was quite stable with no CRC errors until the external interference returned. Each time the interference appeared DLM kicked in and dropped my DSLAM max just the same as it did last April.

Max. DSLAM throughput kbit/s 32400 10000
Min. DSLAM throughput kbit/s 128 0
Attainable throughput kbit/s 41992 6300
Current throughput kbit/s 32400 6300

Latency   fast fast
Impulse Noise Protection (INP)   43 46
G.INP   on on

Signal-to-noise ratio dB 11 7
Bitswap   on on

Profile 17a    
G.Vector   off off

Carrier record   B43 B43

Error Counter

Errors (ES) Many
Errors (SES)
per
Minute
Last
15 Minutes
FRITZ!Box 0 0 0 0
Central exchange 0 0 0 0
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

Hi daveg6hni, 

On first impression it looks like an SFI visit would be the next way forward but I'd rather review this with someone more knowledgeable about speed faults in particular just to see if there's anything else we can look at. 

I'll make sure this gets flagged up for a response for your ticket tomorrow. 

Adam 

Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team