cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fritz!Box 7590 slower than a cheap modem or is my line faulty again ?

daveg6hni
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Re: PN Read Please - Re: Fritz!Box 7590 slower than a cheap modem or is my line faulty again ?

OK, I found my old BT Open Reach modem, I've connected and configured it as described in the PPPoE direct connection.

I can get to most sites, but the BT Speed Test site was not accessible or was off line so I used Think Broadband, Which Speed Test and Speedtest.net instead, all of which gave a result of around 28Mbps, but until my DLSAM max increases back up to 40Mbps my download speed will remain slow !

I will leave it connected today to see if it makes any difference, but looking at my Think Broadband daily graphs the external interference referred to in the above post by the BT engineer is not constant I can see it was present for an hour (5am to 6am) and for 12 hours (2pm to 2am) on different days >

SammyM
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 96

Re: PN Read Please - Re: Fritz!Box 7590 slower than a cheap modem or is my line faulty again ?

Hello @daveg6hni,

Thanks for getting back to us. We will need to arrange an engineer to investigate the issue further. I updated your fault ticket  here, and please let us know once you have updated it with your availability, so we can progress you fault further.

Moderator's note by Mike (Mav): Changed font size to make post more readable.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Sammy M - Sheffield Team
 Plusnet Help Team
daveg6hni
Rising Star

I have updated the ticket, basically Friday 15th AM or PM or Monday 18th AM or PM

But before you book can you please check my line with the old BT OR modem connected as I cannot see my line stats anymore.

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,600

Line tests are showing your router in sync at 31mbps still.

Unfortunately it looks like the speed estimates of your line have since dropped to 30mbps. This can be viewed here.

I'm afraid that we'd struggle to get our suppliers to accept this as a fault as your connection is currently performing within expectations with no issues found.

A possible cause for this drop could be due to cross talk at the cabinet which is basically interference from other connections.

It may be worth connecting your Fritz!Box 7590 back as you were getting the same speeds before you switched to the Openreach modem?

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
daveg6hni
Rising Star

What really annoys me about PlusNet these days is the total lack of continuity Sad

One agent is about to book me an engineer and gets me to wreck my setup to do all these tests only then for another agent to come along only to say it is all within limits and there is no way we will arrange an engineer !!!

This is so frustrating and is not the first time this has happened Sad Sad Sad

I cannot accept there is no fault when my download speed has dropped from 35.8 Mbps down to only 28 Mbps or my sync speed has dropped from 40 Mbps down to only 32 Mbps !

Even the report you just put on the ticket clearly says there is external interference present, source unknown ?

Two reports 1. - How is was  2. - How it is now...

GEA Test Detail

Circuit ID NA Service ID BBEU04907689

Test Outcome Pass
Test Outcome Code GTC_FTTC_SERVICE_0000
Description GEA service test completed and no fault found .
Main Fault Location OK
Sync Status In Sync
Downstream Speed 38.2 Mbps
Upstream Speed 6.0 Mbps
Appointment Required N
Fault Report Advised N
NTE Power Status PowerOn
Voice Line Test Result Pass
Bridge Tap Not Detected
Repetitive Electrical Impulse Noise Not Detected
Estimated Line Length In Metres 983.8
Upstream Rate Assessment Reasonable
Downstream Rate Assessment Very Good
Interference Pattern Regular Interference Observed on Week Days
Service Impact No Impact Observed
Interference Duration Longest Occurrence From 14:30 to 23:45
Interference Location Customer Premise
Home Wiring Problem Not Detected
Downstream Policing Discard Rate 0.0
Customer Traffic Level Upstream and Downstream Traffic Detected
Technology VDSL
Profile Name 0.128M-40M Downstream, Interleaving Low - 0.128M-10M Upstream, Error Protection Off
Time Stamp 2018-05-15T14:45:00
Parameters MIN MAX AVG
Down Stream Line Rate 36.3 Mbps 40.0 Mbps 39.3 Mbps
Up Stream Line Rate 5.9 Mbps 5.9 Mbps 5.9 Mbps
Up Time 866.0 Sec 900.0 Sec 899.9 Sec
Retrains 0.0 1.0 0.0
Current and Last 15 Minute Bin Performance
Parameters Last Traffic Count(Upto 15 mins) Current Traffic Count(Upto 15 mins)
Start Time Stamp 2018-05-23T12:12:51Z 2018-05-23T12:27:51Z
Ingress Code Violation 1 0
Egress Code Violation 0 0
Errored Seconds 0 0
Severely Errored Seconds 0 0
Unavailable Seconds 0 0

Now how it is...…..

GEA Test Detail

Circuit ID NA Service ID BBEU04907689

Test Outcome Pass
Test Outcome Code GTC_FTTC_SERVICE_0000
Description GEA service test completed and no fault found .
Main Fault Location OK
Sync Status In Sync
Downstream Speed 31.0 Mbps
Upstream Speed 7.1 Mbps
Appointment Required N
Fault Report Advised N
NTE Power Status PowerOn
Voice Line Test Result Pass
Bridge Tap Not Detected
Radio Frequency Ingress Not Detected
Repetitive Electrical Impulse Noise Not Detected
Cross Talk Not Detected
Estimated Line Length In Metres 979.0
Upstream Rate Assessment Very Good
Downstream Rate Assessment Reasonable
Interference Pattern Regular Interference Observed on Sundays
Service Impact Retrains Observed
Interference Duration Longest Occurrence No Timing Information
Interference Location Unknown
Home Wiring Problem Not Detected
Downstream Policing Discard Rate 0.0
Customer Traffic Level Upstream and Downstream Traffic Detected
Technology VDSL
Profile Name 0.128M-35M Downstream, Retransmission High - 0.128M-10M Upstream, Error Protection Off
Time Stamp 2018-05-29T08:30:00
Parameters MIN MAX AVG
Down Stream Line Rate 32.3 Mbps 35.0 Mbps 34.1 Mbps
Up Stream Line Rate 5.9 Mbps 7.1 Mbps 6.1 Mbps
Up Time 0.0 Sec 900.0 Sec 891.5 Sec
Retrains 0.0 7.0 0.0
Current and Last 15 Minute Bin Performance
Parameters Last Traffic Count(Upto 15 mins) Current Traffic Count(Upto 15 mins)
Start Time Stamp 2018-06-11T06:59:48Z 2018-06-11T07:14:48Z
Ingress Code Violation 0 0
Egress Code Violation 0 0
Errored Seconds 0 0
Severely Errored Seconds 0 0
Unavailable Seconds 0 0

Just saying it is within limits is a cheap shot and an insulting attempt to get out of having to do anything !

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Sorry to hear that.

Unfortunately your speed estimates have dropped between my colleague's response and my last response.

These figures are what we'd go by when raising a speed fault to our suppliers.

We can't raise a fault based solely on the possible interference the tests have potentially found I'm afraid.

Whilst we shouldn't book an engineer visit as your speeds are within expectations I will be happy to but if there's no fault found on the Openreach network there may be a call-out charge.

Ideally this is something we'd like to avoid as we'd pass on to you part of the charge we receive from our suppliers if an appointment is chargeable.

Let us know if you would like to go ahead.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
daveg6hni
Rising Star

In the Think Broadband graph below, up until 12pm I was using my old BT Openreach modem and after the 12pm red bar I went back to my Fritz!Box 7590 and you can just see a bit of red at the top ?

So would anyone like o comment or say it is not as good as the bog standard modem and the possible cause of some or all of my issues ?

https://www.thinkbroadband.com/broadband/monitoring/quality/share/b960209c96658c0c3ad2bc09af1c269cbe...

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

It does look like there may be something not quite right with your own modem.

Perhaps one of the community may be able to offer more advice into this.

Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
daveg6hni
Rising Star

Well despite what one PN agent thought, another agent thought a visit from a BT Openreach engineer was required.

Not sure exactly what else he did, 4 days ago, other than checking the line, but I'm back up to 35Mbps Download, 40Mbps Sync, 9db SNR and no CRC errors to speak of - so let's hope it now stays back up here where it use to be Smiley

He did say there was a lot of Aluminium between me and the cabinet, had it been copper he would have expected 38Mbps easily.

So no point in me ever thinking of upgrading to 80/20 although if FTTP was ever rolled out to my post code, that would be nice.

daveg6hni
Rising Star

So a month on from the BT Engineer's visit and my download speed has remained fairly steady at around 33 Mbps, not quite the 35 Mbps I had before all the issues, but close enough Smiley and far better than the 28 Mbps PN was originally saying was acceptable !

So I was genuinely surprised when I checked today only to find that I have been downloading all this week at 37.1 Mbps !!! Smiley

I have never downloaded that quickly since I was on the up to 80 Mbps trial.

Let's hope that it now stays up at this level and many thanks to the PN agent that concluded there was an issue worth investigating after all. Smiley

http://www.speedtest.net/results?sh=5aefd496d27910cee672e5240878a4b4

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Glad to hear your speeds have improved!

Let us know if you need any further help.

Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet