cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fritz!Box 7590 slower than a cheap modem or is my line faulty again ?

daveg6hni
Grafter

Fritz!Box 7590 slower than a cheap modem or is my line faulty again ?

About a year ago my download speed suddenly dropped from 35.6Mbps down to 27Mbps. (1st May 2017

PN & OR put this down to my OR modem and PN sent me a Hub One.

That synced at 39Mbps but after PN said I was on the wrong plan ? sync speed dropped to 35Mbps, but the slow download speed remained for exactly 2 months, starting on 1st May ending on 30th June 2017.

Now some might say that is just a coincidence, who knows, anyhow I could not get on with the Hub One as I could not remote in to access any of my network cameras, NAS, etc. so I bought a cheap modem from Argos and put back my Apple Airport Extreme.

So since July 1st 2017 I have been downloading at around 32Mbps and syncing at 35Mbps with a nice steady trace on Sam Knows.

Recently I purchased a Fritz!Box 7590 which I hoped might restore my previous download speed, but the exact opposite has occurred. When I first connected it up it synced at 35Mbps, but on the 1st May 2018 (just another coincidence ?) the sync speed dropped to 32.4Mbps and download speed has dropped to 28Mbps !

So is this drop in speed due to me pugging in my new Fritz!Box or a reoccurrence of last years problem Huh

I am attaching the Fritz!Box DSL status page which shows my line has an achievable throughput of 42.8Mbps, so why am I so slow ?

Tags (2)
40 REPLIES 40
Browni
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 60

Re: Fritz!Box 7590 slower than a cheap modem or is my line faulty again ?

DLM has banded you.

Hopefully one of the staff pick up on this thread and try a DLM reset.

daveg6hni
Grafter

PN Read Please - Re: Fritz!Box 7590 slower than a cheap modem or is my line faulty again ?

Should DLM trigger just by changing to a new modem / router ?

Attached is my Sam Knows White Box download graph for the last 6 moths

PN don't seem to be as helpful as they used to be and they even reduced my speed when I complained !

Maybe it's time I started to look for a new provider ?

daveg6hni
Grafter

Re: PN Read Please - Re: Fritz!Box 7590 slower than a cheap modem or is my line faulty again ?

Line is rapidly becoming more unstable, disappointed that no one from PN has bothered to comment Sad

Attached is a graph from my Sam Knows white box which shows how the speed dropped from about 35Mbps in March 2017, down to 32Mbs once the fault was "cleared" (1st April to 30th June 2017) and now a year later the same thing is occurring.

Download speed down to about 27Mbps when the connection stays up long enough to do a test !

BD
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 86

Re: PN Read Please - Re: Fritz!Box 7590 slower than a cheap modem or is my line faulty again ?

Hi @daveg6hni, sorry to hear you're having broadband issues. Checking your connection this side we can see intermittent drops in connection shown on the graph below. From this side we can see 31Mbps download getting to the router however as you mentioned I can see the line has been achieving 35Mbps download recently 32.4-44Mbps both the current speed and drops are more than enough for us to raise a fault regarding your connection. Before doing so however, given how our testing isn't identifying anything in particular as the cause of the drops and speeds I'd still suggest running through a few checks your side to see if the issue persists after doing so.

The first thing I'd suggest is to contact your phone provider and get them to test the line and see if any issues are detected as if the line was with us this would have been my next step.

Given you've recently added a new modem into your home network it may be worth either swapping back to the modem you got from Argos or the Hub One solely to see if the issue persists after.

I'd also recommend setting up in the optimum setting in order to see if it's anything internal that could be causing the issues. This would be done by plugging the connection into your test socket which is under the faceplate of your master socket and seeing if the drops stop and speed returns within estimates. This rules out internal wiring, face plates and extension sockets as being the cause. How to locate the test socket and set your connection into it can be found here:

https://community.plus.net/t5/Library/Testing-From-The-Master-Socket/ba-p/1322242

Let us know how it goes and if the issue persists then I'd suggest we raise a fault and more than likely we'd arrange an engineer to come out and investigate further.

My Testing below:

image15258724186034

Sync Status In Sync
Downstream Speed 31.0 Mbps
Upstream Speed 5.7 Mbps
Profile Name 0.128M-35M Downstream, Retransmission Low - 0.128M-10M Upstream, Error Protection Off
Time Stamp 2018-04-26T14:30:00
Parameters MIN MAX AVG
Down Stream Line Rate 32.4 Mbps 35.0 Mbps 33.0 Mbps
Up Stream Line Rate 5.6 Mbps 6.3 Mbps 6.0 Mbps
Up Time 801.0 Sec 900.0 Sec 899.4 Sec
Retrains 0.0 4.0 0.0
Current and Last 15 Minute Bin Performance
Parameters Last Traffic Count(Upto 15 mins) Current Traffic Count(Upto 15 mins)
Start Time Stamp 2018-05-09T12:56:23Z 2018-05-09T13:11:23Z
Ingress Code Violation 1 0
Egress Code Violation 0 0
Errored Seconds 0 0
Severely Errored Seconds 0 0
Unavailable Seconds 0 0

download High download Low upload High upload Low        
VDSL Range A (Clean) 44 32.4 7.8 5.4 27.4 Available Available

daveg6hni
Grafter

Ben Hi and thanks for the detailed response.

Lets take these points one at a time, my phone line is with BT and I will try to speak to someone and have them test the line. However, I did listen to the line after dialling "1" to get a quite line and could not hear any interference.

I do not have any internal wiring after an issue many years ago I removed it all and BT have since provided a new downline from their pole and a new infinity type master socket.

I have just switched back to my previous modem and router (21:00 9/5/18) removing the Fritz Box completely, nothing is plugged into the phone socket. I will see how that goes over the next 24 hrs, then try the next suggestion.

Regards, Dave.

daveg6hni
Grafter

Ben,

Unfortunately with the separate modem setup I can't easily see my line stats any more unless I plug a laptop directly into the modem which I will do when I get home from work tonight.

However, I can already see a difference in apparent line quality from my attached Think Broadband graph, even if the download speed does appear to be even slower ? now around 26-27 Mbps

The line appeared to have had a lot more activity on it when the Fritz box was connected, pre 9pm compared to after I reverted back post 9pm yesterday - What might be the cause of that ?

The Fritz is an all in one box, so it is a VDSL Modem, Wi-Fi Router, DECT base, Answerphone, NAS, in fact it does everything except make tea and hopefully it is not the cause of my current issues !

daveg6hni
Grafter

Ben,

Well the old T-Link modem has been back in circuit for the last 3 days, but no increase in download speed, if anything it is even slower !

Checking back I believe I put the Fritz Box in on 21st April and it did not start dropping until 23rd April. see attached Sam Knows graph.

Please advise.

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,599

Hi Dave.

Our tests are showing a potential external fault so I've raised this with our suppliers now.

I'd expect this to be looked into by an engineer over the next few days.

Hope this helps.

Anoush

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
daveg6hni
Grafter

Many Thanks Gandalf.

There was an Open Reach van working further down the road a week ago, I bet he has done something to my line while trying to fix somebody else's ?

I have now tested my connection with just my old and new routers and there appears no difference, they only give me about 27Mbps, so I have put the new Fritz 7590 back as that allows me to see more info on my line stats.

Hopefully I will back up to 35Mbps soon

daveg6hni
Grafter

My connection is really bad today Sad

I have not seen the ticket raised in my F9 account ?

I think someone might be working on it as the DSLMAM now says 40000 not 32400 Kbps but the max attainable has dropped from 43000 to 34062 Kbps

Line Attenuation has jumped from 24 to 34, SNR has dropped from 11 to 6 and latency has increased from 10 to 25 !!!

I think I have been put back on the old twisted pair that I was on a few years ago deep gloom Sad

>>> UPDATE <<<

I have just done a remote reset on my Fritz!box and now it is syncing at 36344, so actually better than it has been since last year when it was syncing at 39000, so let's hope it stays there Smiley

>>> UPDATE <<<

Just got in and done a speed test but download speed is still below 30Mbps, so the fault is clearly not fixed Sad

The attainable and the sync speeds are both lower than they should be and the latency and attenuation are both higher than they should be.

daveg6hni
Grafter

Not heard back from Plus Net so I have no idea what is going on ?

Ticket just says escalated to relevant dept Huh

D/L speed still fluctuating between 25 & 30 Mbps

I can't make any sense of the current figures, they all seem at odds with what I would expect or understand Huh

The DSLAM max has been lifted back up to 4000 Kbps, but everything else has got worse ?

The max attainable speed has dropped from 43000 Kbps down to only 36600 Kbps, but as the line attenuation has dropped, so surely the attainable speed and SNR should have increased not dropped ?

I would have expected the attainable speed to be higher with a lower attenuation ?

And as the D/L speed has also dropped why has the SNR also dropped as usually the SNR is what drives the speed, i.e. the speed varies to maintain a constant SNR of around 6, so as my SNR was 11, it showed my line was capable of a much higher speed but it is now actually slower Huh

All I can go on is how it used to be and I have attached a graph of my D/L speed from 1st Aug 2016 to today.

As can be seen, up until 1stt April 2017, I was steadily able to download at 35.6 Mbps, but then on exactly 1st April 2017 through until 30th June 2017 (Exactly 3 months) I had a really bad D/L speed, which then overnight on 1st July 2017 improved to a fairly constant 32.4 Mbps until April of this year when it has all kicked off again !

I think it was just a really bad coincidence that I chose April to upgrade my Router.

Tags (1)
daveg6hni
Grafter

WoW !

What a difference a day makes !

I am now connecting at 40Mbps, attainable is back to 43Mbps and the latency has dropped back down to less than 10ms.

Still a bit of noise on the line and my actual D/L speed is only just above 30Mbps, but certainly seems to be heading in the right direction Smiley

My Fritz!Box can produce a Spectrum Graph but I haven't yet worked out what it is telling me ? see attached

daveg6hni
Grafter

Maybe I was a bot too optimistic as now that I've got home and done a BT speed test it's still only D/L at 30 Mbps (

So that is 5 Mbps down on what I had previously

daveg6hni
Grafter

>>> BUMP <<<

No reply from Plus Net for over a week ?

Can someone please update me with what is going on ?