Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Frequent loss of internet connection

DaniW
Dabbler

Frequent loss of internet connection

Hello,

I am on Plusnet's Fibre broadband connection and currently experiencing frequent disconnection since yesterday morning and was wondering if anyone knows whether there is an ongoing problem in Edinburgh area? Thanks
9 REPLIES 9
barnettsab
Dabbler
Fixes: 1

Re: Frequent loss of internet connection

FWIW, I’m in Birmingham and the service has been a disaster since Friday. The modem frequently goes red and the connection drops. It can take a minute or two to come back.

I had a phone call on Friday from someone claiming to be from Openreach who was ‘fixing’ my connection. However, he asked many questions I didn’t want to answer, given that it was a cold call and I get a lot of calls from people wanting to ‘fix’ my connection. 

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,600

Hi @DaniW

I'm sorry to see you're experiencing connection problems.

While we can see the drops, our tests aren't showing any definitive causes for them.

If you've tried the troubleshooting steps Here could you report a fault to us Here letting us know once you've done this? We'll then pick this back up as soon as we can and look to arrange an engineer with yourself to investigate further.

@barnettsab, our tests are showing what's known as a battery contact on your line which I've reported through to Openreach now and an engineer should be going out anytime by 19/06/19 23:59:59 to investigate further.

Let us know how things go over the next few days.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
DaniW
Dabbler

Hi @barnettsab ,

Sorry to hear that. It seems there is a known fault in your area as @Gandalf said. So hopefully it will get resolved soon! 

Hi @Gandalf ,

The internet at the moment is working fine. I have tried doing a speedtest using this tool:

http://www.mybroadbandspeed.co.uk/speedtester/

And have found that speeds were fine (30 - 37 Mbps), if I were to pick ManX Telecom Douglas and B4RN Ltd. Lancaster as the hosts for the test. However, speeds drop below 20 Mbps If I used HostYourNet Middlesbrough as the host. The results were the same at the master socket. Do you think this might be the problem?

DaniW
Dabbler

Hi @Gandalf,

Sorry, I forgot to let you know that I only have a master socket in the flat. The master socket tests were done by connecting the ADSL filter directly to the test socket inside the master socket. Tests were done using wired connection to my router. A strange dial tone (like an ambulance sound - alternating high and low frequency dial tone) seems to be present though.
JOLO
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 77

Hi @DaniW,

Regarding the odd dial tone can you dial 1571 from the handset? I think that's a voicemail tone you're hearing and just want to make sure. 

The speed discrepancy you'e seeing on the different servers this could be caused by a number of things and will likely fluctuate in results - I wouldn't expect it to lose such an amount, though. I'd suggest running the BT Wholesale test to be honest just to get an indication of that's advising. 

I'd suggest aside from issues with the host potentially having issues causing a dip, that actually it could be the drops you're experiencing that's causing errors and differing values. Honestly, I wouldn't focus on connection speed as the drops (see image) you've been having recently will likely be having a negative impact on your speed experience anyway so this needs looking into first. 

If you've done those checks if you can finish raising the fault we can get it progressed for you. 

DaniW
Dabbler

Hello,

Just to update my situation, I've reported the problem and had an engineer fixed the fault recently. However, I am still experiencing this frequent internet disconnects and its getting worse Sad . What should I do now?
RandallFlagg
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 75

Hi @DaniW

Unfortunately, the simple answer to this one is that there's still an external fault in the exchange which I've raised to our suppliers for you here.

Please let us know when you're back up and running with a stable service and we'll ensure that your downtime and an appropriate gesture of goodwill is considered.

Best wishes

Dave

DaniW
Dabbler

Hi @RandallFlagg ,

Just wanted to update, re: internet connection. It has been quite stable these couple of days ( no disconnections so far). Thanks

Best wishes,

Dani

LordFoul
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 32

Hi @Dani,

Thanks for getting back to us.

I'm pleased that your broadband is back up and running. Before I look into any downtime can you please confirm on this ticket that your landline is also working? Please also let us know here once you have done so.

Thanks - LF