cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Frequent loss of connection - homeworking not possible with plusnet service

paulchurch02
Hooked

Frequent loss of connection - homeworking not possible with plusnet service

I am getting frequent loss of connection or slow speeds with Plusnet - remote access via Citrix servers - I know this because I work from two locations and the other running on Virgin Fibre is without a hitch. Same everything apart from network connectivity. I will need to change providers as I cannot perform my job. 

13 REPLIES 13
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 160

Re: Frequent loss of connection - homeworking not possible with plusnet service

Note if this service is so important for your work, then I hope that this is NOT a residential service - not only is it not allowed under the T&Cs, residential services have a 72 hour (typical) repair time from BTOR, whereas business grade services tend to be next working day.

https://www.plus.net/help/legal/terms/ [Plusnet Standard Terms]

2.1.3. use the services for personal use in the UK (so don't use the services to run your own business, but a couple of work emails or occasional home working are okay) and in accordance with our Acceptable Use Policy;

If this is a business service, then you might be better served by posting in the BUSINESS forum.  Just report this post and ask the mods to move the topic to the business board. 

However, self help steps are exactly the same - what have you undertaken?

Broadband is not going to work well if the "phone" line is not working properly.

Please perform a quiet line test - dial 17070 select option 2 using a corded phone plugged into the test socket behind the face plate of the master socket. It should be silent. A noisy phone line (or no dial tone) will have a marked adverse impact on the performance of broadband.

If the line is noisy or there is no dial tone, then a PHONE LINE fault needs to be raised with your phone provider. If this is PlusNet, you can report a fault on line using the button below.  From the Q&A list, choose the one which matches the problem, 'open' the 'section' and click the trouble-shooter link.  NB: If you receive a failure message (rather than a log-in prompt) then log-in to the user portal in a different browser tab and attempt to use the trouble-shooter again.

How is your line performing?

Please post your router stats; for PN TG582n and 2704n routers use the buttons below, for other routers look at the Kitz link.

Also run a BT Wholesale speed test (ideally using an Ethernet wired PC with the WiFi turned off) then run the further diagnostics and post the results here. DO NOT REBOOT the router!

NB: Please use an Edge browser or IE as there have been many reports that others fail to function correctly when accessing the BTw speed test.

Also find your CURRENT SPEED (PlusNet line profile) from the PlusNet user portal - you will need to log in.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

paulchurch02
Hooked

Townsman...are you from Plusnet? Your patronising tone is irritating to say the least. I pay £40 pounds a month for a service that frequently drops out for periods of time. The phone line works perfectly. I will perform the router test and post results.
Townman
Superuser
Superuser

No - I’m a customer like you; one who has experienced a fair few operational issues on both business and residential services and understands that where a service is business / work critical that the residential grade service is not going to meet expectations when there’s a fault ... regardless of what you pay.

Within the community, especially at weekends you are more likely to get relevant self help from other users quicker than PN staff ... who in the first instance will give the same advice.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Townman
Superuser
Superuser

PS the phone might well WORK but is it SILENT all of the time? Check it when you experience drops - Noise is typically intermittent.

paulchurch02
Hooked

Router stats:

Information for Helpdesk agents

When contacting the Plusnet Broadband helpdesk, the agent might ask you for details about your Plusnet Hub. This page contains all of the information they are likely to request.

1. Product name: Plusnet Hub
2. Serial number: [Removed]
3. Firmware version: Software version 4.7.5.1.83.8.237.2.2 Last updated 16/08/17
4. Board version: Plusnet Hub One
5. DSL uptime: 0 days, 00:43:22
6. Data rate: 5566 / 39993
7. Maximum data rate: 5703 / 52788
8. Noise margin: 6.2 / 11.3
9. Line attenuation: 29.9 / 25.4
10. Signal attenuation: 29.3 / 23.3
11. Data sent/received: 158.8 MB / 2.9 GB
12. Broadband username: [Removed]
13. 2.4 GHz Wireless network/SSID: Thornlie Main
14. 2.4 GHz Wireless connections: Enabled (802.11 b/g/n (up to 144 Mb/s))
15. 2.4 GHz Wireless security: WPA2
16. 2.4 GHz Wireless channel: 6
17. 5 GHz Wireless network/SSID: [Removed]
18. 5 GHz Wireless connections: Enabled (802.11 a/n/ac (up to 1300 Mb/s))
19. 5 GHz Wireless security: WPA2
20. 5 GHz Wireless channel: Automatic (Smart Wireless)
21. Firewall: Default
22. MAC Address: [Removed]
23. Modulation: G.993.2 Annex B
24. Software variant: AA
25. Boot loader: 1.0.0

Moderator's note by Dick (Strat): Personal information removed from a public forum.

paulchurch02
Hooked

The silent phone test is silent ..

Alex
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

I had a separate issue with my landline, which was bad. Silent line test was really noisy, had to call BT Openreach out who fixed it.

This may be Tuesday now (tomorrow is a bank holiday isn't it?), but when someone is back in the office they may be able to give you a visual radius log graph so they can see, and show you how bad the disconnects are.

Townman
Superuser
Superuser

Those stats indicate that this is a FTTC service @Strat - should thus be moved to fibre?

The sync speed suggests a 40/10 service, with plenty of signal space so there ought not to be ‘drop outs’ here.

As Alex suggests, sight of a VR plot (requires staff action) would be helpful.

How are the disconnects perceived? Does the router log report loss of xDSL? Have you looked at the WiFi connectivity guide?

What devices are involved here? Apple products? If yes they are known to exhibit issues if the 2.5GHz and 5GHz WiFi services have the same SSID, which to all intents and purposes look like a loss of internet connectivity, but has nothing to do with the service provided by the ISP / BTw.

Strat
Community Veteran
Fixes: 565

Moderator's note by Dick (Strat): Topic moved from Broadband to Fibre Board.

Windows 10 Firefox 109.0 (64-bit)
To argue with someone who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 393

The sync speed suggests a 40/10 service, with plenty of signal space so there ought not to be ‘drop outs’ here.

@Townman downstream looks fine, I agree , but is there a problem with the upstream ?

With a max downstream estimated by the router at 52Mb , all things being equal, would you not have expected MUCH closer to a 10Mb upstream ?

@paulchurch02 what are the estimates for your line from the BT checker ?

Townman
Superuser
Superuser

The US is running at 6dB SNRM - higher speed will only be obtained by reducing the margin ... which might reduce connection stability.

paulchurch02
Hooked

Line checker - download 30.51; upload 4.56; ping latency 29.63. I am using Android phone and Windows PC. When connection drops I get wi-fi, no internet on phone and on PC (with Windows). Direct access to router via wi-fi.

paulchurch02
Hooked

Will do so - thanks