cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Frequent dropouts

pj_2018
Hooked

Frequent dropouts

Hi - we've had Plusnet for a few weeks now, and whilst the connection is generally ok, we do get more frequent dropouts than we've had before ... last evening there were at least 4, which meant it was impossible to watch BBC iplayer.  Any chance you could check this please?

Thanks

26 REPLIES 26
SammyM
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 93

Re: Frequent dropouts

Hello @pj_2018,

We are sincerely sorry to hear that your connection is dropping and welcome you to our forum. I have checked your connection from our side and can see it is dropping in the evenings and early hours of the morning, shown in the image below. 

Can you advise if the drops occur only when using? or if there anything on at that time that could be causing interference?

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Sammy M - Sheffield Team
 Plusnet Help Team
pj_2018
Hooked

Thank you for your reply.  I'm fairly certain that no one is using the connection at all in the early hours of the morning, and so I can't give any explanation for that.  If you can see that it is being used at 3 in the morning, that's useful information for me! 

On the Sunday evening, when the connection dropped most frequently, we had BBC iplayer on a TV, my son was using the xbox to play with friends, and my daughter was using social media.  But that is likely to be the case at other times, so I'm not sure why that was so bad. 

In general the connection might be used up to about 8, and not used again until 4, so it kind of tallies, but the early morning thing doesn't.

I hope that makes sense.

Thanks again

Pete

HarryB
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 256

Hi @pj_2018, sorry to see your connection has been dropping out. Testing isn't flagging up any problems, but that's not to say something isn't wrong. Could you run through our troubleshooting guides Here and if you continue to experience drops after this, please report the issue over at https://faults.plus.net

If you could let us know once you've done this, we'll be able to get the ticket picked up and progressed with our suppliers.

I hope this helps.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Harry Beesley
 Plusnet
pj_2018
Hooked

Thank you for your reply.  I've done the troubleshooting to the best of my ability, and we're still getting intermittent but fairly frequent dropouts, which is obviously irritating (another just a few minutes ago), and so something clearly is wrong. We didn't have issues like this even with TalkTalk, and we switched to Plusnet for a better service!

I've had a look at the https://faults.plus.net troubleshooter, but it asks lots of questions which seem irrelevant ... 'power light on my BT modem'? 

Thanks

pj_2018
Hooked

Incidentally, we've had several more drop outs this evening.  Also, our TV now refuses to acknowledge the connection meaning we haven't been able to watch iplayer at all.

Amina78
Hooked

I have same problem very often. It is frustrating as I am trying use from last 2 hours for Black Friday last min shopping but struggling. Eventually I contacted to my mobile. It is just ridiculous bit upset
Jubby
All Star
Fixes: 31

Hi @pj_2018,

The troubleshooter is based on an older configuration where a modem is used, you can select the power light is on as this is just to ensure there is power to the router.

Before progressing to raising a fault, could you please follow the guide below in obtaining your firmware version. We currently have an issue with a particular firmware version and settings at the exchange, this may need updating.

1) To connect to your Hub One, you will need to open a browser and go to http://192.168.1.254

2) Click 'troubleshooting' on the top right menu.

3) Go to 'helpdesk'

4) Enter your router admin password found on the back of your hub

5) Copy item '3. firmware version' into this post.

Hi @Amina78,

I have tested the line and detected an external fault. This has now been raised to our suppliers and they are expected to attend the external fault location within 24 - 72 hours. You can monitor the progress of the fault here and our faults team will be back in touch shortly after the visit.

Thank you.

Lewis G
 Infrastructure Operations Professional
Amina78
Hooked

3. Firmware version: Software version 4.7.5.1.83.8.237.2.2 Last updated Unknown
pj_2018
Hooked

Please note, this is for the original poster PJ_2018  and not amina78

Thanks

3. Firmware version:

Software version 4.7.5.1.83.8.259 Last updated Unknown

JOLO
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 77

Hi @pj_2018,

Can I ask if you also have a Kindle connected to the router too?

pj_2018
Hooked

No, no one has a kindle.  Laptops, ipads, iphones, xbox, LG TV

Thanks

RandallFlagg
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 75

Thanks for confirming that @pj_2018

@Jubby @JOLO @bobpullen - FYI as per fault ticket here.

Best wishes

Dave

bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 315

@RandallFlagg, I've upgraded the firmware to the latest build but I'm not confident the firmware's to blame here. The line seems to be re-initialising and there's nothing in the router logs to suggest the device is crashing/restarting.

@pj_2018, your router will be rebooting as I type to apply a software update. Interested to know if it makes a difference?

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

pj_2018
Hooked

Thanks for trying that ... I'll give it a couple of days and let you know.

Pete