cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Frequent dropouts

morrismay

Frequent dropouts

Hi, can anyone help - I am close to tears of frustration (ironically just like the lady in the Plusnet ad who is encouraged to join Plusnet!!!)

We upgraded to fibre from ISDN in January and have been plagued by frequent, regular dropouts ever since. This affects all users in the household, including laptops, iphones, apple TV. We've had the line checked, and all works fine on a wired connection, so I'm guessing it's a wifi issue... Wifi disappears from the menu bar, if you're lucky it reconnects again, but if not you have to keep asking it to join network. It askes for the password, and 9 times out of 10 then comes up with "invalid password". After 10 minutes or so it gets over itself and allows us to reconnect.

Previous router gave many years of trouble-free service. New router (Plusnet hub One) is in the same location as the previous router (hall), and the blue light remains on throughout. Plusnet have replaced the router, so don't think it is faulty.

Have tried choosing different channels but that hasn't worked - although I have only triend this twice. Really frustrated now - my daughter has just accidentally eaten up her entire month's data by failing to spot that her wifi had dropped out and failed to reconnect all of last night - grrrr!

Thank you for any help / ideas!

Ally

5 REPLIES 5
SpendLessTime
Hero
Fixes: 86

Re: Frequent dropouts

Hi Ally

First thing to try is to change the name of one of the 2 SSIID (WiFi names). Add a number 5 to the 5GHz one so you can distinguish between the 2 names. 

See this page and the section "How to check or change WIFi Settings". I believe you clear the section "Sync with 2.4Ghz" so the you can then change the SSID's.

Ex - Plusnet Customer (2009 - 2023) now with BT
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

Hi morrismay,

It sounds like there may be an issue with your router.

Please give a factory reset a try as the next step:

http://www.plus.net/support/broadband/hardware/hub-one-user-guide.shtml

Do post back here to let us know what effect that has

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
morrismay

Hi Plusnet Help Team,

Well it's 10/10 for the user forum - both Plusnet and BT - and 0/10 for Plusnet help team who have completely missed what appears to be a really common fault with the BT One Hub and Macs.

SpendLess Time's solution - unsyncing 2.5ghz and 5ghz - appears to have been the answer. Interestingly, I found the exact same solution on a thread on a bt user forum. 

Bad, bad Plusnet for not being aware of this, or for failing to pass this on to your Mac users - literally 4 months of my life spent experiencing intermittent wi-fi hassle. I must have contacted Plusnet 10 times during that period, I have run tests, you have run tests, I've had a new router - what a waste of everyone's time, money and effort.

Happy forum member, unhappy Pluusnet customer.

Ally

Mav
Fixes: 514

Moderator's note by Mike (Mav)

Double post removed

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

SpendLessTime
Hero
Fixes: 86

Hi again Ally

Glad it worked for you.

If you wish, you can tick my original post as the "Fix" so that others can see this solution.

Ex - Plusnet Customer (2009 - 2023) now with BT