Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Frequent disconnects

doctorron
Dabbler

Frequent disconnects

Hi,

PlusNet Fibre has been working without flaw since I joined. Reliable and blazingly fast. No disconnects whatsoever.
Until Friday.
I am writing this as I have a few minutes right now where broadband is up and running.

From Friday morning, I have been experiencing frequent, random DSL disconnects, with intervals of 1-2 hours to only a few minutes or seconds, even, uptime.I've had a look at the logs and would estimate there were about 20-40 disconnects per day, at least.

Since I need the connection for work, I am eager for someone to check what's going on.

My phone line works normally but I would admit there is a bit of a crackling noise at times. We had bad weather on Thursday night where we are, but I am not sure if it's anything do with it.
I already switched filters but there was no improvement.

I was also hoping DLM would sort things out automatically but the disconnects happen no matter the connection speed. DLM did kick in and I've had between 20MBit/s - 79MBit/s yesterday (I usually get high 70s speeds reliably) on resync and it still disconnects all the same.

Please look into it. Thank you!!!

7 REPLIES 7
doctorron
Dabbler

Re: Frequent disconnects

Update:

The disconnects have continued throughout the day and this morning - every few minutes the connection is gone.

I've followed the troubleshooting guide but it's not any of the things suggested there. The router is the PlusNet Hub One model, connected to the Master socket. Filters appear to work (I've tried several). Most devices are connected through Ethernet cable, some via WiFi - makes no difference. Disconnecting or using a different phone doesn't help either.

Could someone check the connection, please?

doctorron
Dabbler

Update 2:
This is really weird. I have now had a stable connection for about an hour, although upstream speed has decreased from 20 to 0.7 MBit/s. Download speeds are still high.

5. DSL uptime: 0 days, 01:08:29
6. Data rate: 723 / 68993
7. Maximum data rate: 24301 / 74063
8. Noise margin: 27.4 / 6.4
9. Line attenuation: 12.8 / 12.6
10. Signal attenuation: 13.3 / 12.6
Thrall
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 23

The noise on your line won’t be helping and would likely be the underlying issue as broadband runs down a telephone line.

Run a line test online here: https://www.plus.net/my-account/tools/phone-troubleshooter

This will raise a fault straight to Openreach if there’s an external fault found. If the troubleshooter gives an error, try checking your account for an open ticket or question as it may still have raised something. 

If there’s nothing raised, try raising a fault yourself at http://faults.plus.net

This will create a fault ticket and get you into the queue for Plusnet to investigate further. It’ll probably end up to an Openreach engineer.

doctorron
Dabbler

Thanks for taking the time to put those links together - however I tried all that before...
The troubleshooter website didn't really work, prompting me to call CS after "Something went wrong". Also, I raised the fault days ago manually with the other website you suggested, which seemed to have no effect, as others have reported here also.

In the end, I simply called CS today and got to somebody straightaway who may have sorted it all out for me within a matter of minutes. Well, almost. The problem seems to be a "high-resistance joint", which is apparently something outside of my control that an engineer needs to fix somewhere outside. The visit is scheduled for tomorrow - I'll keep my fingers crossed.

Thrall
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 23

Fingers crossed the engineer tomorrow can fix it!

doctorron
Dabbler

The engineer visited, replaced the socket and did a series of tests but he couldn't do anything else, and there is no improvement as a result. There is still an intermittent crackling noise on the line and I get more line drops than before. What's worse, it now also takes the router much longer to reconnect than before, so I'm completely dropping out of Zoom sessions, etc.

So, I am back where I started and it's impossible for me to teach any of my classes when the line drops out every few minutes - a total nightmare!

Apparently, there is an old telephone post outside the house that has a box dating back to 1963, and the fault may be in that box. Yet, an ordinary engineer has no means to climb up there and fix anything.

He said this needs escalating to another stage somewhere within OpenReach/BT but it's unclear to me how this can be achieved.

Any ideas, anyone?

doctorron
Dabbler

The situation is still unresolved. I have no usable Internet connection. No word from Plusnet, either.

I asked around and found out that my neighbours, whose telephone lines are connected to the same telephone pole, have no problems whatsoever with their broadband connection... What now?