Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Frequent disconnects recently

Afran
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Frequent disconnects recently

Hi,

This past week (or roughly 12-13 days) I've had several disconnects from the internet. In the past 24 hours i've experienced 3 seperate disconnects, two of which lasted a few minutes but during one instance of downtime it was for almost an hour, maybe longer as I went to bed after waiting for so long.

Could you please run tests on my line to see what is causing these

Thanks

9 REPLIES 9
Welshsteve
Grafter

Re: Frequent disconnects recently

I too am having issues recently where the speed drops right down.  I've been doing speed tests at these times and the download speeds have been in SINGLE figures with Upload speeds actually faster, although not much faster at around 10-11Mb

Every single evening between 9 & 10, I'll be watching Netflix and it will disconnect, and this is using a wired connection via a TPLink Powerline adapter.  This then happens 2 or 3 times every evening. At one point this happened and I run a speed test and it went down so far it didn't even register a download speed at all.

I also experience extreme slowness regularly throughout the day while I'm working.

The bandwidth is clearly being throttled somewhere, and I'm getting nowhere near the speeds I am paying for.

Afran
Rising Star

Just lost connection again by the way for several minutes.

BD
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 86

Hi @Afran, thanks for getting in touch and I'm sorry to hear you've been having connection issues as of recent. Checking into your connection from this side I can see the drops you've mentioned which are showing on the connection graph below however there doesn't look to be any underlying faults or issues being highlighted when testing your connection and line.

I'd advise then, to monitor the connection your side further to see if the drops persist and if so to begin by going through a few internal checks your side which may narrow down the cause of the drops further.

I'd recommend starting with basic checks here: http://goo.gl/p2tpvL

And if that doesn't help the next thing would be to rule your internal wiring out by plugging the connection into your test socket which is under the face plate of your master socket and seeing if the drops stop. This rules out internal wiring, face plates and extension sockets as being the cause. How to locate the test socket and set your connection into it can be found here:
https://community.plus.net/t5/Library/Testing-From-The-Master-Socket/ba-p/1322242

Let us know how it goes.

BD
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 86

Hi @Welshsteve, together with our network partners at Openreach we will try to provide you with the best speeds possible. If you feel this is not the case, please raise your speed fault online at faults.plus.net

treftadolos

I'd advise then, to monitor the connection your side further to see if the drops persist and if so to begin by going through a few internal checks your side which may narrow down the cause of the drops further.

Moderator's note by Dick (Strat): Full quote of preceding post removed as per Forum rules.

Afran
Rising Star

Hi @BD 

So I've tested everything I can on my end as you suggested, I was almost ready to say that being plugged into the master socket had fixed the issue however that is not the case as I've had two instances of connection loss while testing that, is the next step to arrange for an engineer to visit? When I had a similar issue in the past it was fixed by an engineer, though I can't recall what the cause was maybe you have logs of it.

It seems to me the disconnects are all roughly around the same time of day if that helps. Unless it's disconnecting even more frequently than I think it is but I don't think so from the graph you posted.

EmilyD
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 117

Hi @Afran,

Thank you for confirming that you've been through the troubleshooting steps, I'm sorry to hear that this hasn't resolved the problem. Testing your line hasn't picked up the cause of this from here so it's likely that we'll need to arrange an engineer visit so that this may be investigated further.

Please can you report the fault here and let us know when you've completed it? We'll then be able to progress this for you. faults.plus.net

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Emily D
 Plusnet Help Team
Afran
Rising Star

Thanks for the update @EmilyD - I have completed the report.

mechanic123
Aspiring Pro

And if that doesn't help the next thing would be to rule your internal wiring out by plugging the connection into your test socket which is under the face plate of your master socket and seeing if the drops stop. This rules out internal wiring, face plates and extension sockets as being the cause. How to locate the test socket and set your connection into it can be found here:
https://community.plus.net/t5/Library/Testing-From-The-Master-Socket/ba-p/1322242

That link seems a little out of date - recent faceplates aren't like that photo, although the test socket is still there.