Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Frequent disconnections

maranello
Pro
Fixes: 2

Frequent disconnections

This appears to be happening as often when reading emails on Ethernet connected laptop or browsing on tablet we are getting prompts to sign on to mail account or offline messages. I cannot find out from help pages how to access router logs, or if this is even possible using the TG582n router. Can anyone offer advice?

Otherwise, please could a PlusNet staff member check my connection remotely to confirm if we are experiencing frequent loss of sync.

My other car isn't a Ferrari
5 REPLIES 5
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

Re: Frequent disconnections

Hi there, 

Everything looks fine according to the logs and diagnostic tests:

From what you've mentioned are you sure the issue isn't just specific to the email site you're using?

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
maranello
Pro

@adamwalker

Thanks for your response. The graph you provided shows the dropped connection at around 6:30pm, which was evident from the limited information I could see (uptime data). Can you confirm that there is no means to access connection logs from the TG582n? I'm still surprised by the results as previously I would regularly see uptimes of tens of days.

I'm not sure what you mean by 'email site' in your reply. When using Windows Live Mail email client on the ethernet connected laptop, we frequently see 'server has unexpectedly terminated your connection'. Our tablets occasionally produce 'you are offline' pop-ups using stock Android email app, sometimes when the wifi signal is lost but occassionaly when strong signal is indicated. We have also noted that wifi dropouts are occuring more frequently, which I have attributed to the age of the router (~4 years) and/or wifi extender that we also use. 

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,599

Can you confirm that there is no means to access connection logs from the TG582n?

Not that I'm aware of I'm afraid.

Have you tried the steps here to try to improve your WiFi signal?

Also have you looked at a new router? We'll be happy to send you out a Hub One for the postage fee of £6.99.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
maranello
Pro

@Gandalf

Thanks for confirming that the router doesn't allow me to see connection logs - saves me wasting more time looking.

I have tried the steps to improve WiFi signal, I'm using channel 13 at the moment, 1, 6 and 11 are congested.

Unfortunately the Hub One doesn't fit my requirements, as I need a router with a USB port that can be configured for printing - which I believe is not possible with the Hub One.

I've already started looking for a replacement modem/router in case the current issues are a symptom of impending demise of the tg582n, which is 4 years old. Is there likely to be an upgraded router supplied by Plusnet in the not too distant future?

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,599

No problems.

Unfortunately the Hub One doesn't fit my requirements, as I need a router with a USB port that can be configured for printing - which I believe is not possible with the Hub One.

I know the Hub One has a USB port which you can connect storage devices to, though I'm not entirely sure whether you can use it for a printer...

Is there likely to be an upgraded router supplied by Plusnet in the not too distant future?

I've got no news to share I'm afraid.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet