cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Frequent disconnections

faraon
Dabbler

Frequent disconnections

I am hoping to get some help regarding my problem. I have already opened a ticket with Plusnet (164523181) which is still open & pending update from Plusnet support. I have noticed that some Plusnet support staff are regular posters here and hope that one of them can pick this up for me and give me an update.
It's been over a month since I migrated my fibre broadband from BT and have been experiencing issues with slow speeds in the evening as well as frequent disconnections on daily basis.

The problem with slow speeds has been resolved by moving the service to another SVLAN at the exchange. The problem was traffic congestion at the exchange.
Disconnections are still a big problem, they happen many times a day at random times.
An enginner visit was booked for Wed 27/12/17, I got a call from the engineer on the day and was told that they have identified a fault at the cabinet and there is no need to attend the premises. I was also told that the issue will be fixed by the end of the day.
Well, that was over 30 hours ago and the problem is still there. The ticket is still open but awaiting update from Support Team.
In addition to the plusnet router (Hub One) I have tried a BT smarthub as well as Huweai Openreach modem connected to my Meraki firewall (in PPoE mode) but the disconnections happen regardless. This is very frustrating especially since I never had these probems with BT.

7 REPLIES 7
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

Re: Frequent disconnections

Hi there, 

I'm getting in touch with our suppliers now so we can follow things up from the engineer visit. I'll come back to you again soon. 

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

Notes are showing the issue should now be fixed. I note that you've been online for a couple of hours so it would be wise if we monitor this over the next 24 hours to see if it remains stable or not.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
faraon
Dabbler

Hi Adam,

Thanks for looking into this for me but unfortunately there has been no improvement whatsover. SInce midnight last night my connection has dropped 11 times and each time the SNR margin for both upload and download was decreased.

Last resync happend at 17:24 today with the following Sync speeds:

Download speed: 34716 (SNRM 7.1dB)

Upload SNR: 5000 (SNRM 11.2dB)

Here's a screenshot from mydslwebstats:

Mydslwebstats.JPG

Until I switched to Plusnet I was having a very stable connection at 43000 Down and 8000 Up.

I am slowly losing my patience and am already looking at other options. If this is not resolved soon I will have no choice but to  cancel the contract and move the service elsewhere.

faraon
Dabbler

Could one of the PN staff post my radius logs for the last couple of weeks? For the first time in a while there was no dropped connections in a 12 hour period. It appears this was achieved at the expense of my upload speed (over 50% drop) and download speed capped at 34999.

MatthewWheeler
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 480

I've attached your RADIUS log below

image15148968755817

I can also see a engineer is due out tomorrow.

Let us know how you get on.

Matthew Wheeler
 Plusnet Help Team
faraon
Dabbler

Thanks Mathew,

Will keep you posted...

faraon
Dabbler

The engineer turned up at 8am on the 5th as agreed and did some tests on the line. The first thing he noticed was that retrains were taking a very long time (around 2 minutes). He then went to the cabinet and returned after an hour or so to inform me  that he had moved my line to a different fibre port. He plugged in the tester and he got the stats right away. The same happened when I plugged in my modem so according to him the fault was fixed and he left.

I was not getting very good speeds but I was hoping that the line will stabilise in a couple of days. Because of the fibre port change the line was open (as in a brand new install) and initially was set to 'fast path'. I was monitoring the connection and noticed a lot (thousands) of Errors Seconds and a very erratic SNMr especially on uploads.

This went one for several days and then DLM kicked in. To cut the story short in the last 30 hours my connections has been very stable with only a handful or Errors on the Download and none on the Upload  side. This is fine but in order to achieve this DLM has applied the following for Interleaving:

Download -  INP3, depth 554

Upload - INP4, depth 43

This resulted in my line being capped or banded at 29998 Down and 2000 Up with attainable speeds of 35280 Down and 9048 Up.

I am not happy about this at all since I know that my line is capable of much better speeds especially Upload which I really need. I have been with Plusnet and BT before and never had a problem achieving 40+Mbps Down and 8+Mbps Up.

I would like to know if DLM will remove banding at some point or do I need to request this myself.

Can a member of Plusnet team check and confirm if my line is indeed banded and what can I do to remove it. I am very disappointed at all this. I am in month 2 of my 12 month contract and if this is not resolved soon I am leaving. I just don't have time and energy to deal with this anymore. How can your speeds reduce so much if you only change the provider and still using the same physical line. The problems started overnight since the switch from BT to Plusnet.