cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Frequent disconnections

Eebe
Dabbler

Frequent disconnections

My husband and son complain that the wifi disconnects when they are playing games and I think the same might be happening when my mobile phone disconnects using EE wifi calling, so I took a look at the event log to see what it says.  Unfortunately Plusnet doesn't provide a guide on what the events mean so can anyone tell me whether 'WIFI registration failed' means the internet has disconnected? It is usually followed by either 'Client disassociated' or 'Client associated'.  The first message came up 25 times yesterday and over 35 times today.

I tried connecting the Xbox with an ethernet cable into port 4 on the back of the router and then received lots of Wire Lan Port 4 up and down messages.

There are also lots of IN and OUT BLOCK messages about packets being invalid.  Would these stop games playing?

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks

2 REPLIES 2
MatthewWheeler
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 479

Re: Frequent disconnections

Sorry to hear you're having issues.

I've looked at your connection and I can't see any issues I'm afraid. Your connection has currently been connected for over 12 days without a drop.

With regards to the messages in the router log the Client disassociated' and 'Client associated' refer to devices that connect to your router over Wi-Fi. The disassociated is when it disconnects from Wi-Fi and the associated is when it connects.

Have you tried changing the wireless channel to see if that helps? I've included a video on how to do this below or alternatively you can find the instructions here

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Matthew Wheeler
 Plusnet Help Team
Eebe
Dabbler

Re: Frequent disconnections

Thanks for that Matthew.  I haven't tried it because I thought the router was smart and detected the best option at the time?  So there didn't seem much point. 

Can you tell me what wifi registration failed means? Presumably it doesn't mean that the connection is dropping which is what I assumed.

What could be the reason for their games crashing if the connection hasn't dropped out?  I'm confused about what is happening.