Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Frequent connection drops

paul1962
Grafter

Frequent connection drops

Hi,

I've noticed over the last few days, possibly longer, than I'm getting frequent connect drops. The modem will go from steady blue light to flashing amber/orange, it'll then go back to steady blue and may either stay like that in which case I can use the connection or after a few seconds it will go back to flashing amber and repeat the cycle.

It may do this just once in a day or repeat the cycle several times in a short period (which it is doing now).

Never had any problems before and I've always had good speeds, speedtest.net usually reports 15ms ping, more than 18Mbs upload and more than 72Mbs download. Currently it's 31ms, 15Mbs up, 65Mbs down.

Phone line doesn't appear to have changed, no noticeable noise or outage on that.

Have been through everything I can but stuck for ideas at my end now. Any advice appreciated.

Thanks

Paul

5 REPLIES 5
paul1962
Grafter

Re: Frequent connection drops

More disconnects since my original post.

when I login to my account under the broadband option I see the following

• Product: Unlimited Fibre Extra
  • Estimated Download Range: Not available
  • Estimated Upload Range: Not available
  • Minimum Guaranteed Speed: 77.5Mbps
  • Current Line Speed (Download): 73.4Mbps

Loss of connection will be a big problem if I have to work from home.

paul1962
Grafter

A couple more disconnections since last night.

Router I has always been plugged into the master socket. Unplugged everything else last night leaving just router but no phones but still dropped connection. Can’t try separate filter as I don’t have one.

Anything else I can try ?

Apparently for a few hours a week or so ago the phone wasn’t working at all ( only just been told this ). Openreach have also been at the cabinet I’m connected to recently so whether that’s related or not I don’t know.

Should I just raise a ticket for this ?

Thanks

WillF
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 22

Hi @paul1962. Having tested the line this looks to have identified a possible line fault. I've sent you an email with some further checks if you're able to carry those out and get back to us via the email.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Will
 Plusnet Help Team
paul1962
Grafter

Thanks for your response WiIIF,

I'll resply ASAP.

paul1962
Grafter

Thought I'd update this thread to say thanks to the support team for the response I've had.

After replying to support on Wednesday I had a call Wednesday night to see if I was available Friday for Openreach to visit.

Openreach engineer turned up this morning before 8am, confirmed fault and replaced some external wiring and new master socket. Two hours later all complete. Currently connect as follows : PPPoE is up -​ Down Rate=79995Kbps, Up Rate=20000Kbps; SNR Margin Down=9.4dB, Up=12.2dB

Everything back to normal Smiley

Early days I know but hopefully all fixed and really quick time.

Thanks to Plusnet support and Openreach Smiley