cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Frequent Internet Drops

JParry

Frequent Internet Drops

I have been experiencing drops in my (fibre optic) internet wired and wireless multiple times each day (2-3) for the past few weeks.

The problem usually happens like this the internet just stops despite the router still displaying a blue light then after restarting the device shows an orange light than i have to go on a device and access the router using the ip and manually connect to it on one to get it to work for all devices.

I find this problem odd as all the other posts I have looked at have suggested that variations of this problem are only happening to new users.

To answer a few questions that I predict you will ask (from other posts):

I have not had anyone in to look at the problem

The internet set up hasn't been changed at all to start the problem.

The routers is connected to the master socket.

I am using the plusnet hub router.

Thanks for any help.

13 REPLIES 13
shrimp3r

Re: Frequent Internet Drops

Similar issue here, only switched to PlusNet a few days ago and intermittent connection drops since then. Have raised a ticket and been on chat, without any progress being made. Previously on EE much connection was rock solid.

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,600

Welcome to the community forums @JParry and @shrimp3r

I'm sorry to hear you're experiencing connection problems.

@JParry

Our checks are showing your connection to be dropping quite a bit, but testing your line isn't finding the cause

I'd recommend running through the troubleshooting steps here and raise a fault to us here if you still experience problems.

@shrimp3r

Our tests aren't finding the cause of the issues but we can see your connection appears to be dropping.

If you haven't already can you try plugging your router into the test socket as explained here?

From reading the notes on your fault ticket can you also try a factory reset of your router by pushing a paperclip into the reset hole at the back for 20 seconds?

Please let us know how you get on.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
ImInIT
Dabbler
Fixes: 1

Same here...Moved to PlusNet recently from Sky.

Solid service from Sky for nearly 3 years and now dropouts every few minutes on PlusNet.

Trying to watch an epic MotoGP race yesterday and it was ruined by the dropouts....Saw the result but missed most of the race.

I've heard much about how good PlusNet customer service is, so I'm hoping they offer some sort of goodwill gesture, especially if you are new.

Right now I'm wishing I hadn't switched to be honest.

The question I have is that I was told there is a problem with my line, but there was no problem with my line when using Sky. is it a different line now I'm on PlusNet?

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Sorry to hear this @ImInIT

The question I have is that I was told there is a problem with my line, but there was no problem with my line when using Sky. is it a different line now I'm on PlusNet?

In a lot of exchanges Sky use their own equipment (Known as LLU exchanges) whereas we'd use BT Wholesale equipment so there likely was an equipment change when we took over your line.

I can see we've raised a fault with Openreach so we'll get that fixed as quickly as we can.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
shrimp3r

Thanks for the response Gandalf. I've switched to a Draytek router since about 10pm Sunday 8th Apr. Unfortunately I've been at work and out tonight, so I can't be sure  if this has improved matters. Could you check at your end to see if any drops have occured today (Mon 9th Apr).

ImInIT
Dabbler

I've tried the PlusNet hub and also another VDSL router. Same result.

Really getting [-Censored-]ed off with this and the fact BT not looking at the issue until Wednesday.

If this happens again, I will look at my consumer rights options regarding (lack of) service delivery.

ImInIT
Dabbler

Got a text this morning to say an OpenReach engineer is working on my ticket.

Will let you know what happens.

ImInIT
Dabbler

The Mrs said she saw an OpenReach man and van near our place this afternoon.

Not got any further texts from BT but the connection has been up for 3 hrs with no drops.

Possibly fixed?

The downside is that it is just 20 Mbps second now when before it was 34.

I'm going to plug in the other router now to see if the speed changes.

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

@shrimp3r

Apologies for the delayed response. Your connection looks a lot more stable now:

Although something seems to be happening every morning at 5am this week.

Do you have any electrical devices near your router which might be on a timer?

With that said, it sounds like it may be related to your new Draytek router as the line didn't drop at 5am last weekend.

@ImInIT

From what I can see, your fault report is still in hand with Openreach.

I'm about to contact them now and I'll update your support ticket when I have an update.

Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
ImInIT
Dabbler

Thanks Gandalf.

My speed is still only 20Mbps.

Can you guys re-initiate the line training period (DSM)?

Thanks.

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

No worries.

Unfortunately we have no remote tools to fix fibre circuits.

It's likely your speed is still slow because of the open fault.

This should be investigated by another engineer on the 17th.

Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
ImInIT
Dabbler

Ok its down again and my girlfriend says it has been for nearly an hour (I'm posting from work).

What's going on with this service please?

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Sorry to hear that.
As I've mentioned the fault report is still in hand with Openreach.

I do apologise for the inconvenience caused.

Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet