cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Frequent EXTREME slowdowns

mjn123
Hooked

Frequent EXTREME slowdowns

Over the past few weeks my connection has been grinding to a halt multiple times per hour, then speeding up again like a yo-yo. Speed test results can show 20mbps one minute and 0.05mbps the literal next minute. I am constantly lagging out of online games and being disconnected from X-Box Live. Web sites that are fine one minute are very slow to load the next. Streaming movies and TV becomes blocky and buffers at random points. For the last year with Plusnet my connection has been absolutely fine and stable but the past 3 weeks or so it has been abhorrent. 

I have tried separating the 2 and 5ghz waves. I have tried manually selecting channels. I have tried resetting the router multiple times. I have tried powerline adapters straight in to the ethernet port. I have tried changing to Google DNS. Every time I run a speed test, it can come back anywhere from zero to 27mbs.

Attached are 3 sample speed tests taken within minutes of each other. The variations up and down are ridiculous - From 0.45mbps to over 20. This is grating on me as I have been stuck inside relying on the Internet for work/TV/games/entertainment and it is failing me over and over. Any assistance would be appreciated.

3 REPLIES 3
dvorak
Fixes: 1,483

Re: Frequent EXTREME slowdowns

Moderators Note

This topic has been moved from Everything Else to Fibre

Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
mjn123
Hooked

Further to my initial post, this is not a "peak time" issue either and extra "Corona" usage does not explain the dwindling speed. It is currently 2.39am and attached are three screenshots of speed tests using the Plusnet recommended speed tester and Google speed test. My speed is ranging from an absolutely CRAWLING 0.2mps to 2mpbs. My upload at 3.5-6mpbs is currently far faster than my download.

adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

Together with our network partners at Openreach we are prioritising customers who don’t have a phone line or broadband connection, meaning there might be a delay in Speed Faults being fixed. In the meantime, please raise your speed fault online at faults.plus.net.’

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team