cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Frequent 10pm disconnects

PW75
Dabbler

Re: Frequent 10pm disconnects

Dropped out again last night around 21:30, can you please escalate the fault case that I've raised.

I never experienced the issue of connection dropping out until I changed my package to Unlimited fibre extra in July.

Thank you

TheMightyAJ
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 126

Hi @PW75,

I'm sorry to hear the connection dropped out again last night. Besides last night, have you noticed any issues with the service this week. Having tested your line this morning, I can see that this is the first drop to have occurred since Monday and we're not detecting any underlying fault conditions on the line.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Alex H
 Plusnet Help Team
PW75
Dabbler

Hi,
I've not noticed any other issues/fault apart from dropping out approx every 4 days.
There is no changes/anything happening at time of drop out.

The problem has only started since changing my package in July to unlimited fibre extra.

TheMightyAJ
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Thanks for getting back to us @PW75. As it currently stands, we're unable to progress this case further along, as the drops aren't frequent enough to be considered a fully fledged fault and the connection seems to be working perfectly fine the vast majority of the time. This isn't to say there isn't anything wrong with the line, just that we're unable to see it and due to the time of day the drops occur, an engineer wouldn't be able to witness the issue during any of the available slots for an appointment.

For the time being, my best advice would be to continue observing how the connection performs and get back in touch with us should the drops become more frequent, or if the performance starts to take a hit. Please accept my apologies for any inconvenience that this may have caused. If you have any other queries or issues then please don't hesitate to get back in touch and we'll be happy to help.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Alex H
 Plusnet Help Team
PW75
Dabbler

Dropped out again last night around 21:25, internet performance (speed) was very slow for most of the afternoon yesterday aswell.

What was done to my connection when I upgraded to unlimited fibre extra from unlimited fibre? as this is when the dropping out fault started to occur.

TheMightyAJ
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Thanks for getting back in touch. Having had a look at the connection over the last couple of weeks, there does seem to a slight pattern emerging. The drops seem to be occurring every 5 days. Does this line up with anything that may be happening in your house/local area?

Alex H
 Plusnet Help Team
PW75
Dabbler

Hi,

Unfortunately there isn't anything happening at the time of drop outs, nothing is switching on or off in the home on a timer or otherwise.

There isn't anything happening outside my property, the street light has long been switched on before drop outs, the street light and telephone exchange(green boxes) are both located directly outside. It's a rural location and there is no bus/train route anywhere near by.

There is no obvious cause for the drop outs

TheMightyAJ
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

You'd mentioned the speeds were running slow following this latest drop - have they returned to normal now or are they still low on your end of things? I've tested your line again this evening and we're not seeing any issues there, with a downstream sync rate of 79Mbps coming back through consistently. If things still seem slow on your end, please could I ask that you run a speedtest over an Ethernet cable connected device and then send us a screenshot of the results?

Alex H
 Plusnet Help Team
Nemo154
Dabbler

I am reading this thread with interest as I have almost exactly the same problem.

In May/June this year I swapped from standard fibre to fibre extra when my contract renewed. Previously, on standard 35Mb fibre, I had no disconnects at all. First support person I spoke to said standard fibre connection had been up constantly for around 5 months which he was amazed at.  

Since moving to fibre extra the connection has been resetting every 5 days at 8:33pm to within a few seconds. When I reported this Plusnet found other line issues, but these have now all been resolved. Even had a new line fitted recently when BT had to replace the telegraph pole as a car hit it. Connection still resetting every 5 days at same time.

I am positive it isn't a line issue. Line is completely clear. Speeds are great. Over 70Mb download and 18Mb upload. However, the connection resets every 5 days as regular as clockwork.

Also sure not a router issue. Initially used same Plusnet router as had worked so well before. Then used a Draytek Vigor. Now using a BT Business Hub 6. Exactly the same with all of them. 

There seem to be no way to change the timing of the disconnects. Even manually disconnecting and reconnecting doesn't seem to affect the timing. Connection still resets exactly 5 days from the last time. 

All I can think is that there must be something at the exchange side with a timer on it (a TTL or a DHCP lease or something) which is set to 5 days (7200 minutes) and is resetting the connection. 

This is a real issue as I have many Zoom meetings in the evening and there is no way I can stop it happening. It is so regular I know when I am going to be cut off (next time will be Tuesday at 8:33pm - right in the middle of a scheduled meeting!)

If you find what is causing PW75's drop outs please let me know as it seems the same may well be affecting me. 

PW75
Dabbler

Hi,

Speed is back to normal, I've ran a couple of speed tests this morning and all showing around 72Mbps download and 18Mbps upload.

TheMightyAJ
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Thanks for reaching out to us @Nemo154 and I'm sorry to hear that you're experiencing issues with your connection as well. Having had a look over both of these issues, they don't appear to be directly related, as there are some key difference between separate setups. I've tested your line today and I haven't been able to detect any underlying fault conditions on the line, with the downstream sync speed currently reaching the router at a rate of 78.3Mbps as you've reported. On the point of it potentially being an exchange issue, without giving away any confidential information, these two lines are setup in different exchanges in completely different areas of the country, so it wouldn't be that that's causing this issue. Further to this, it seems incidental that the drops are occurring 4 days apart from each other, as the drops have occurred on different dates.

The thing I'd ask you at this stage is whether or not you've noticed any pattern behind the drops, such as are they coinciding with any devices activating in or around the property? 

Alex H
 Plusnet Help Team
Nemo154
Dabbler

Thanks for checking. Sorry to hijack PW75's thread with something that it turns out isn't related. 

Apart from the disconnects happening every 5 days at exactly the same time, no other pattern at all. 

Due to the 5 day cycle it happens on every day of the week, and nothing obvious happening at that time in the evening. No other equipment or anything else turning on or off at the time the disconnect happens. 

Really stumped by what can be causing it, but it is so regular it has to be something set (like a timer) not a random occurrence or fault. 

Next cycle due on Tuesday. If it happens again then I will call in to speak to support again about it as we need to try and find a solution. 

Many thanks again @TheMightyAJ 

adam945
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 113

Thanks a lot for your response @Nemo154

To be honest with you, the Plusnet Staff Forum Help Team are all tech trained anyway, so we'd be able to give you the same advice. I've tested your line this morning and as per my colleague's response, I'm not seeing any underlying fault with the network. There is a degree of interference on the line which might be behind the drop outs, though not enough for us to raise the fault with Openreach. I'll pop a KBD and visual radius below which shows the line is operating within estimated speeds and is for the most part, fairly stable.

As the drops are both brief and irregular, I'd advise you to monitor your connection closely and reach out if the problem becomes worse.

KBD
GEA Test Detail
Circuit ID NA Service ID  

Test Outcome Pass
Test Outcome Code GTC_FTTC_SERVICE_0000
Description GEA service test completed and no fault found .
Main Fault Location OK
Sync Status In Sync
Downstream Speed 78.3 Mbps
Upstream Speed 20.0 Mbps
Appointment Required N
Fault Report Advised N
NTE Power Status PowerOn
Voice Line Test Result Pass
Radio Frequency Ingress Not Detected
Repetitive Electrical Impulse Noise Not Detected
Cross Talk Not Detected
Estimated Line Length In Metres 410.7
Upstream Rate Assessment Very Good
Downstream Rate Assessment Very Good
Interference Pattern Regular Interference Observed Daily
Service Impact No Impact Observed
Interference Duration Longest Occurrence From 15:15 to 15:45
Interference Location Customer Premise
Interference Observed In Days 0
Home Wiring Problem Not Detected
Downstream Policing Discard Rate 0.0
Customer Traffic Level Upstream and Downstream traffic detected
Technology VDSL
Current 15Min Bin Retrains 0
Last 15Min Bin Retrains 0
DP Type External
Profile Name 0.128M-80M Downstream, Retransmission Low - 0.128M-20M Upstream, Retransmission Low
Time Stamp 2021-10-04T08:45:00
Parameters MIN MAX AVG
Down Stream Line Rate 76.7 Mbps 78.3 Mbps 78.2 Mbps
Up Stream Line Rate 19.9 Mbps 19.9 Mbps 19.9 Mbps
Up Time 855.0 Sec 900.0 Sec 899.8 Sec
Retrains 0.0 1.0 0.0
Radius
 Adam
 Plusnet Help Team - Leeds
PW75
Dabbler

Hi,
The Internet has just dropped out again about 5 mins ago.
Slightly different this time as router started flashing red then to solid orange light before reconnecting again. All other previous times it had just gone from solid blue to solid orange then back to solid blue light on the router/modem.
Drop out and reconnect seemed longer this aswell time.
BD
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 86

Hi @PW75, thanks for getting back to us and I'm sorry to hear you've seen a further drop. Unfortunately, unless the connection is dropping 3 times within 24  hours or 6 times within 72 hours then we're unable to progress faults with our suppliers. As yesterday evenings drop looks to have been the first in 4 days it seems what ever is behind these drops occur looks to be very intermittent. I'd advise then, should you notice the drops look to increase or you're seeing the performance of the connection dip then please let us know hand we'll happily dive into this further for you.