cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

For those who don't believe in crosstalk....

geoffa
Grafter

For those who don't believe in crosstalk....

...here is the perfect illustration. My fibre connection gives a rock solid 53Mb synch on fast path with an snr 0f 6 db. Typical error seconds are around 80 per 24 hours.
This afternoon we had a power cut which affected over 1300 properties. My HG612 and Airport Extreme are on a UPS so the connection stayed up. I checked the stats and found that my snr had shot up to 23db, with a max attainable figure of 88Mb download. So, with probably dedicated access to the cab that is a difference of 35Mb, all due to crosstalk. Roll on vectoring, if it ever comes!
Incidentally, the UPS kept my modem, router and cordless phone up for 2 hours and 15 minutes, the battery giving up about 10 mins before power was restored!. Sod's Law.
3 REPLIES 3
sjptd
Grafter

Re: For those who don't believe in crosstalk....

Probably crosstalk, but could be some other form of interference.
geoffa
Grafter

Definitely crosstalk for me. I was the first connection in the cab and the stats I saw then are almost exactly the same as those today. During the first week both my neighbours had fibre installed which resulted in a big hit. Over the next 9 months or so my synch gradually dropped as more connections were made. For the last 6 months or so it has remained stable so I'm hoping that's as far down as it will go.
jafreer
Aspiring Pro

I agree it is more than likely crosstalk. Not just because you got better performance when the power went out, but because the performance was at a level when you first got connected. Scary the impact it can have.