cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

For the last few hours I've had 2mb dl speed and 100 extra ping to all servers

jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Re: For the last few hours I've had 2mb dl speed and 100 extra ping to all servers

JIm did you mean to share the graph showing the Wednesday evening? If so it needed to be the graph for 30/12
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Re: For the last few hours I've had 2mb dl speed and 100 extra ping to all servers

Yes - fixed  Embarrassed
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 160

Quote from: honey1981
Hope this doesn't continue on for days as it's already ruined some of my holiday time.

Is that 'ruined' in the same sence as many 1000's of people's homes have been 'ruined' by flood water this holiday time?  A slow down of Internet activity should be seen as nothing more than a minor irritation - it's not a life, death or comfort issue worthy of the emotion of 'being ruined', considering the number of people who are now homeless for months to come.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

jafreer
Aspiring Pro

To be fair, that allegation could apply to any number of things. For example, my car broke down and ruined my holiday. Give a thought for those that can't afford a car or a holiday etc. The Christmas tree went on fire and burned all the presents, ruining my Christmas. What about those that have no means to celebrate any aspect of Christmas etc.
So we all accept these things are relative. Anyway, the OP simply said it had ruined SOME of their holiday time. Who knows, maybe there was a bunch of screaming kids trying to watch Netflix etc. All relative.
If we all criticised people for stuff that we think shouldn't be an issue in the grand scheme of things, this forum would be awash with such criticism.
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 160

The point that I sought to make is that so many people have massive (disproportionate) hang-ups (their world falls apart) when their internet slows down a bit.... and then they want to take someone apart for it not being fixed instantly.  A slower internet is simply not that much of an issue!  If you cannot all stream different films at the same time - sit and watch one film together - or why not just read a book!  Huh

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

aesmith
Pro
Fixes: 4

For reference here are TBB graphs for Tues and Wed from a non-Plusnet FTTC connection in Aberdeen City.  Office premises, so normally almost no use outside working hours ..

Oldjim
Resting Legend

Me again in Dorset
and it also shows up as a major dip on Samknows Monitor
jelv
Seasoned Hero

Jim, You've posted the wrong graph again - last night is going to disappear!
Oldjim
Resting Legend

I selected Plot Snapshot Graph again so it shouldn't have
Have now selected previous day - will need to have a think about this as it isn't doing what I though it would
jelv
Seasoned Hero

I sympathise with you - TBB's idea of a snapshot is not the same as anyone else's! It's actually just a quick way to post today's graph and will update with the current time until midnight when it freezes.
jockwav
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 3

I am in East Ayrshire & last night my speed dropped by half. Huh
https://www.flickr.com/photos/james_bingham/
chrcoluk
Grafter

Quote from: Matt_2k34
Quote from: deathtrap
BTW Have a lot to answer for for not building enough resilience into their infrastructure in many parts of the uk

To be fair.. the resilience is there (You are online...  ::)) The issue comes from the capacity they have available. With how BTw route traffic (which has always been... interesting)  it's likely that it'll affect more than just the north / anywhere flooded.
You've got to think that it's not business sense to have 300-400% capacity on each of your backhaul links you need, just incase an MBORC like Frank is currently causing.. which happens once in a blue moon. Don't get me wrong - it's pants and a poor show but it's difficult to blame BTw on this one IMHO as there's not a lot they can do if a major MSAN/POP is having serious issues, which are out of their hands. (IIRC Edinburgh is a massive MSAN/POP for BTW)
@deathtrap, also we're talking about 10's of gbp/s here, serious amounts of data per sec  Sad

PN Will hopefully be able to provide a bit more info tomorrow, as they'll be able to engage with BTW over the issues (although they'll probably just throw back the MBORC)

Hard to judge as dont know the extenct of outages, however I would expect a company like BT to at the very least be able to have one redundant path for each location that can be used without congestion which yes means keeping utilisation below 50% to allow that.
On their own built network they dont pay per mbit rental as they own the infrastructure, the costs are largely capital costs in deploying the network, so low utilisation vs high utilisation shouldnt be a big thing in day to day running costs for them.
Gus
Aspiring Pro

deja vu from January last year again, painful currently on ptn-bng01.  Noticed I was getting loss at peek times from Sunday 4th onwards.
currently back to speed issues once again, which have not surfaced since I last did a gateway hop 114 Days ago when I have not had to reboot and gateway hop since tonight

FTTP 500 regrade from Tues 28th November
Gus
Aspiring Pro

another round of gateway hops to find a good one with no speed drops, so some to avoid I found in the last 10 minutes
pcl-bng04
ptw-bng01
pcl-bng01
pcl-ag06
ptw-ag02
currently on pcl-bng03 with speeds back to normal
FTTP 500 regrade from Tues 28th November