cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

For the last few hours I've had 2mb dl speed and 100 extra ping to all servers

SpendLessTime
Hero
Fixes: 86

Re: For the last few hours I've had 2mb dl speed and 100 extra ping to all servers

@godsell4
You may want to edit the array post and just leave in line [5] as the last line shows your home ip address.
Now we just need to see what the others are connected to and hopefully see a pattern.
Ex - Plusnet Customer (2009 - 2023) now with BT
Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

Re: For the last few hours I've had 2mb dl speed and 100 extra ping to all servers

Yes it's a shame people didn't run the Gateway Checker at the time to see if there was any common factor there. The alternative would have been to do a tracert to say ntp.plus.net where the 2nd line should give the Gateway.
Of course their Gateways may have changed now anyway if they lost PPP session at any point, or did a reboot.
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 316

Can't see anything on our internal graphing, however I have noticed some nasty looking humps in some users TBB latency graphing.

I've scoured the forums etc. for people complaining last night and checked nine different accounts.
There's no correlation to gateway, however with the possible exception of @godsell4 and @Blackdog35, all the accounts are geographically located in Scotland. @gouki, I've been unable to locate your account so perhaps you can advise if you're also across the border?
BT Wholesale are sending out shedloads of MSO alerts at present (presumably the result of the bad weather), however just looking at last nights notices I can see incident reports for various MUX's across Scotland, including (but probably not limited to) Morven, Craignure, Tobermory, Harray, Stromness and Coll.
I can also see an FTTC incident raised for Naalli Dromara, maybe that explains your issues @Blackdog35?
In short, I think it's fairly conclusive that your problems are related to outages affecting the Wholesale network, and nothing our side Wink

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Just to throw something else in. My graphing shows low level packet loss over the same period (click the graph for a full size version):

I'm in South West England.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
Blackdog35
Dabbler

I am in Scotland as well(Edinburgh) so I assume it has been a fault with the network which was confined to a particular area . The weather hasn't been bad at all in this part of Scotland but just wondering if all the bad weather around the South West near the border with Cumbria affected the network for a time.
I was connected to several different gateways last night but the problem was the same whatever one I was connected to.
hbb98
Dabbler

Me too (in Edinburgh).  My TBB ping graph looked like this:
http://www.thinkbroadband.com/ping/share/8b038b8bff49c29e1e5bb5644b17fa01-30-12-2015.html
Sorry if that's not the right way to embed such a link; not done it before. (What is the right way?)
It is the same big lump of latency and packet loss from 6pm to 1am others have seen.
Oddly, I stayed glued to pcl-bng03 throughout.
It didn't actually bother me.  For once nobody in the house was using computers.
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

On the share page copy and paste the entire code from the Small Graph (500x219 px) - BBCode (for forums; not yet supported on thinkbroadband forums) box which looks like this:
[url=http://www.thinkbroadband.com/ping/share/8b038b8bff49c29e1e5bb5644b17fa01-30-12-2015.html][img]http://www.thinkbroadband.com/ping/share-thumb/8b038b8bff49c29e1e5bb5644b17fa01-30-12-2015.png[/img][/url]
which will give you this:
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
gouki

Looks like it's happening again tonight. I am not happy about this.
http://www.speedtest.net/result/4956502047.png
hbb98
Dabbler

Thanks very much, Spoon.
I assume this is down to the floods in North England. My unnoticed broadband latency doesn't
seem so important when I see rivers running through peoples houses.

KennethBaxter

I am also from Carluke, Scotland and have had these exact same issues, latency starts to increase from around 4.30pm and speeds drop massively from around 7pm. Same thing is happening again today for me as it did yesterday.
Latency is going up now and will only get worse?
Any news/updates?
gouki

Quote from: Bob
@gouki, I've been unable to locate your account so perhaps you can advise if you're also across the border?

Belfast
KennethBaxter

Submitted a ticket to see if they could find anything wrong.
Got this response
iruhaku
Dabbler

Also in Edinburgh and have the same issues from 5-6pm net is almost useless not as bad as last night though, well not yet anyways
matt_2k34
Grafter

Yeah the network is definitely getting battered again. Assuming capacity is greatly reduced due to Ol' Frank..
Pinging [<Scottish IP Snip>] with 32 bytes of data:
<9 OK Replies / Snip>
Reply from <Scottish IP Snip>: bytes=32 time=893ms TTL=59
<9 OK Replies / Snip>
Reply from <Scottish IP Snip>: bytes=32 time=77ms TTL=59
Reply from <Scottish IP Snip>: bytes=32 time=698ms TTL=59
Reply from <Scottish IP Snip>: bytes=32 time=52ms TTL=59
Reply from <Scottish IP Snip>: bytes=32 time=58ms TTL=59
Ping statistics for <Scottish IP Snip>:
    Packets: Sent = 25, Received = 25, Lost = 0 (0% loss),
Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
    Minimum = 51ms, Maximum = 893ms, Average = 112ms
Control-C
^C

Quote from: KennethBaxter
Got this response

Only problem with this one mate, is if there is water ingress on the network where you are, it'll show as a fault regardless if there's another problem or not. Assuming that some routing is foobar'd because of high water levels - so as more users sign in they're being routed over now much-more-than-usual congested routes. Still, Hopefully PN can tell you what the issue is Smiley
ajbell

@gouki
from near Belfast and have been having the same issue the last 2 nights

incredibly frustrating