cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Followup to phone call

Redintention

Followup to phone call

Hi, I'm hoping I am posting in the correct area. I was on the phone earlier with a problem I had and was asked to raise it in Member Centre where it would be picked up. Before Christmas I emailed a pre-sales enquiry asking if the Hub One would allow me to change the DNS settings to those of my choosing. I was told this was fine (I have pasted the email below). Now that I am activated I have found this is not the case. I specified that this was a dealbreaker for me if it was not possible and am therefore inclined to cancel my service (without penalty). The only other option I can see is to be provided with an Openreach modem to allow me to use my own router, however I am not sure Plusnet would be able to provide this. I have been told that this would be picked up here and I would be called back after 6.30pm. Copy of pre-sales enquiry follows and transcript of chat with tech support telling me this is not possible attached.
Date: Tue, Dec 22, 2015 at 7:37 PM
Subject: Regarding your recent sales enquiry to PlusNet (Contact Sales ID 160808)
To: [Redacted]@gmail.com

On 13/12/2015 @ 19:34  [Removed] wrote:
>I am looking into different ISPs since I intend to move provider in
>the new year. I would like to know if the supplied Hub One will allow
>me to change the DNS settings to those of my choosing. This is not
>possible on the HomeHub 5 that BT provide and I  am aware that your
>router is a rebranded version of this.
>Thank you for any help. Unfortunately it is a dealbreaker for me if
>this is not allowed
======== PlusNet Reply Below ========
Dear [Removed],
Thank you for your email, I have checked with my manager and I can confirm that you will be able to change the DNS settings should you wish to do so.
Regards,
[Removed]
PlusNet Customer Support
--
http://portal.plus.net
The Smarter Way to Broadband
If you need any further information, please reply to this
email or to contact_sales@plus.net
Please ensure that the subject line contains the subject line above
[Moderators Note by Mike (Mav) Support Agent's Name Removed as Per the Forum Rules ] and moved to a private area accessible by staff. Also removed customer's full name]
3 REPLIES 3
pwatson
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Re: Followup to phone call

Hi and welcome to the PN Community Forum
I wonder why you've been directed here when this is a clear case of mis-selling which I would have thought PN would want to deal with privately...  This is essentially a community based 'self help' forum and input from PN staff can be sporadic.
I guess any advice given here is dependent on how you wish to proceed:
1.  If you wish to leave on the basis that you've been mis-sold the product then, on the face of it, PN don't have a leg to stand on.
2.  If you're happy to stay then there's the opportunity for others to offer advice on how to make the best of the situation.  As you say, getting an Openreach modem is one option as is perhaps using something like a Raspberry Pi to run as a local DHCP server (assuming that you can turn off the DHCP server in the Hub One?)  There's alway the option of a new VDSL router as well of course!
If you do decide to stay, any solution shouldn't cost you any money as PN have put you in the position of requiring different hardware but if you're happy to use your own router in conjunction with a modem this seems like a reasonable compromise.
Best of luck with finding a solution, but don't hold your breath waiting for the call before 18:30!
Redintention

Yes, I was directed to the member centre so that the person dealing with it could get the full information and pick it up from here. I couldn't see a way to do that other than post here. Called again to double check and that person said yes, he would have meant the discussion forum.
A support ticket has been raised and I've been able to add to that with the details now as well so will see what the options are.
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

Hi Redintention,
I'm disappointed to see that you were incorrectly advised about this.
However I'm glad to see we've reached a resolution with you re ticket 118278755.
I'm passing on some feedback about how your queries has been handled too.
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team