cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fluctuations in upload and download SNRM

jafreer
Aspiring Pro

Fluctuations in upload and download SNRM

I just wondered if anyone has an idea of what might cause fluctuations in SNRM on my fibre connection.

The values seem stable at approximately 6.1 dB, then they drop (both UL and DL) to about 5.4 dB.

I can't seem to correlate the changes with any specific thing (e.g. immerser, electrical switching etc). The changes tend to be slow (i.e. they don't change rapidly, or every few minutes etc). If anything, they tend to stay at the values for hours or days at a time before changing.

Also, they only really change between these 2 sets of values, nothing inbetween.

I have attached a graph of the change occurring.

Anyone have any ideas of what might be causing it or how to go about identifying the issue?

I wondered if it might be crosstalk from a neighbour's connection.

Thanks for any replies.

2 REPLIES 2
Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

Re: Fluctuations in upload and download SNRM

It could be a huge number of things, anywhere along the line run so may not be easy to pinpoint. A drop of that amoutn shouldn't cause any issues though.

Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
jafreer
Aspiring Pro

Re: Fluctuations in upload and download SNRM

Thanks for the response Chris. Yes, like you say, may be difficult to pinpoint. It doesn't cause any disconnects so it doesn't cause too much of an issue. Only if there is a disconnect for some reason, and it happens to reconnect when the SNRMs are lower, then my speeds drop a little. If I wait until the SNRMs are high again and reconnect, I get that little bit of speed back.

I will try logging the values for longer and see if I can correlate the drops to any specific event.