Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fluctuating broadband speed

dsm1
Grafter

Fluctuating broadband speed

Hi,

Over the past few weeks I have noticed that my broadband download speed has been well below the guaranteed speed. Generally, the hub manager has reported connection speeds between 10-17 Mbps and various speed check tools have been close to that (be that via wired connection or wifi).

The upload speed, on the other hand, has been stable at around 6-7 Mbps, which is in keeping with the mininum guaranteed speed.

So the problem is solely with the download speed.

Please resolve this issue.

Thank you.

12 REPLIES 12
Bevandian

Re: Fluctuating broadband speed

and now i wait for the phone line fault to be fixed..

Mads
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 79

Hey @dsm1,

Thanks for reaching out to us here.

I'm sorry you are having trouble with the speed of your service and I apologise for the frustration caused.

I can see you've mentioned both wired and wireless produce the same results in terms of the speed, please can you remove the faceplate on your master socket and run a wired speed test while connected and post the results up here? This would rule out the faceplate as been the issue of the slow speeds and also complete a troubleshooting step.

Let us know how you get on,

Thanks.

dsm1
Grafter

@Mads 

Hi,

Thank you for your reply. The test results are below and, as you can see, there is no difference. 

Via faceplate

Hub manager: Download 19.14 Mbps / Upload 7.469 Mbps

speedcheck webiste: Download 17.44 Mbps / Upload 7.59

Direct into socket:

Hub manager: Download 19.14 Mbps / Upload 7.261Mbps

speedcheck webiste: Download 17.27 Mbps / Upload 7.36

Note the the speed at the moment  is the best it has has been for sometime (although the Hub manager reported about 22 Mbps for a day or so over Xmas and then dropped to around 15 Mbps).

I also do not understand why the upload speed has remained constant whilst the download speed varies so much.

TheMightyAJ
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 126

Hi @dsm1,

I'm sorry to hear that you're experiencing issues with your speeds. We may need an engineer to come out and investigate further and I've raised a ticket on your account regarding this here. Once you've had the chance to read and respond to the ticket, please let us know and we'll pick this back up for review.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Alex H
 Plusnet Help Team
dsm1
Grafter

@TheMightyAJ 

Hi,

Thank you for your message. I've replied to the ticket.

Thank you.

adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

Hi there, I can see we replied with some suggestions for troubleshooting checks, can I just make sure they've been covered before we make a booking for you? - Adam 

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
dsm1
Grafter

@adamwalker 

Hi,

To confirm that I've gone through the various test but none make any difference.

KatieC
Pro
Fixes: 11

Hi @dsm1

I am currently running further checks on your line and will be in touch with an update.

A ticket has been raised on your account which you can view and respond to by using this link.

Thanks!

Katie C
 Plusnet Help Team
dsm1
Grafter

Hi,

This problem is happening again.

I noticed on Friday that the download speed has dropped significantly, with the Hub reporting a download speed of around 17 Mbps, which is even slower than earlier this year.

However, as before, there are no issues with the upload speed, which the Hub reports as being around 7 Mbps.

I want a permanent resolution to this problem.

Thank you.

MatthewWheeler
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 479

Thanks for getting back to us @dsm1 and apologies for the delayed response.

I'm sorry to hear that the issue has returned.

I've tested your line and it appears that your speeds have been restricted by the Dynamic Line Management (DLM for short) software at the cabinet.

To get your speeds back up I've requested your line be reset and this should go through in the next three working days

Matthew Wheeler
 Plusnet Help Team
dsm1
Grafter

Hi,

Yet again my broadband download speed has dropped but the upload speed remains ok. Presently, the hub reports a download speed of 19.14 Mbps and upload speed of 7.265 Mbps.

Please fix this.

Thank you.

TheMightyAJ
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 126

Hi @dsm1,

Sorry for any inconvenience this is causing. Together with our network partners at Openreach we are prioritising customers who don’t have a phone line or broadband connection, meaning there might be a delay in Speed Faults being fixed. In the meantime, please raise your speed fault online at faults.plus.net.

Alex H
 Plusnet Help Team