cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Flaw in PlusNet home hub 1

vendetta
Rising Star

Flaw in PlusNet home hub 1

I have discovered that the home hub 1 which is really a copy of the BT home hub 5 has a flaw, where you cannot change the primary nor secondary DNS no matter what you try.
This needs to be addressed ASAP for obvious reasonsCheesy now being really a copy of the Home Hub 5 usually with the HM5 you would go to advanced/Broadband/connection/ then disconnect, and that would give you the manual input choice to input your own DNS-- Even this does not work on the PlusNet Home Hub One you cannot physically change the DNS which is defo not good.  Undecided
At the time of writing this the Software version for the PlusNet Home Hub One is  4.7.5.1.83.8.217.1.1
Please resolve this problem as soon as possible or if there is a super admin way let us know.
9 REPLIES 9
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 316

Re: Flaw in PlusNet home hub 1

I was under the impression DNS couldn't be changed on the HH5 either? Business variant maybe but not the consumer version.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

Kevin
Rising Star

I can confirm ('cos I just tried it) that the HH5 will not let you change DNS as you describe Vendetta.
Kevin.
cedlor
Grafter

Although you may have just discovered it is old news- long thread on it in Hardware if you use the search
http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,145603.0.html

vendetta
Rising Star

Thanks for that. Went to the thread, a  lot of reading through to find out about the locked DNS mind you. Still think it is terrible that you are locked with PN DNS.
This is defiantly a NO NO for me. Looks like I will be forced to buy my own router, as in truth also looking deeper into stats and tech capabilities of this router is --- Shall we say ''Will be  filed under into the bin''. Terrible bit of kit and badly thought out considering new tech very close on route to launch but not on this rout/er..lol.  Cheesy Grin
Dick:quote
vendetta
Rising Star

Quote from: Kevin
I can confirm ('cos I just tried it) that the HH5 will not let you change DNS as you describe Vendetta.
Well all I can say' is it worked on my Home Hub 5 at the time I no longer have that router so guess must of been a different variant or software installed'. Yet that is not the issue, the issue is the Home Hub one is a poor bit of kit in my eyes which leads me to believe, if you are an advanced user and want more out of your NET etc. The only choice is buy your own router! Cheers to PlusNet and their great crystal ball of oops we didn't see the future coming..lol.  Grin  Shocked
vendetta
Rising Star

So is there a good thread on here which PN users can confirm is a good and reliable advanced combined router and modem section, or if possible shout it out on this thread. !
Time to do some research and much Google hunting because no way am I being forced by my ISP to be stuck on Unchangeable DNS probably so the Snoopers charter sticks more.. lol  Wink Cool
Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

As you mentioned, it's probably a firmware change at some point that removed the ability to alter the DNS settings. For example, we know that one "update" for the HH5A removed the ability to view basic line stats if it was being used on an ADSL connection rather than vDSL (FTTC).
There are several threads around both the Hardware board and the Fibre board about other vDSL compatible Modem/routers. The Billion 8800NL and 8800AXL seem quite popular, both using Broadcom chipsets and giving full stats, and with the latest firmware are fully compatible with G.INP on Downstream and Upstream. Whether you will have G.INP Upstream will depend on your Cab. If it's an ECI one, currently you won't.
blundey
Dabbler

You can set your devices to use an alternative DNS seperatley (a pain I know but worth doing in the interim). I personally use unblockr dns services for privacy and then use an Asus R66U router to set DNS, but otherwise there are vpn providers which offer the same...just slower as im sure your aware :S
grayerbeard
Dabbler

You only need a Modem not a Modem Router if the aim is just to have control over the DNS. (with a cost saving of around £100)   For example I am going to try the NETGEAR DM200 ADSL2+/VDSL Modem @ £28.38 Plus VAT plus delivery.   Then I will  connect the Plusnet Hub One to the Netgear modem.   At the moment I keep getting intermittent connections where the fixed (cant change) plusnet DNS server is not responding. On my Laptop I can set the DNS to (say) Googles 8.8.8.8 and its fine. With other devices changing the DNS is either impossible or much too difficult.

Tags (3)