cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Flaky wireless

JPN
Rising Star

Flaky wireless

Yesterday our internet connections were fine, both wireless and hard-wired.  This morning we struggled to get a stable wireless connection from either of two android devices.  During the day there has been intermittent falling out of the signal, with an authentication error showing in the system screen on the android settings.  The router (technicolour box) has been flashing various lights with no pattern. Sometimes the wireless light is flashing, sometimes its off.   

This evening the wireless signal dropped completely for an hour or so. The hard-wired connections to various laptops and PC's are running fine.  

Is the router likely to be the source of the problem?

5 REPLIES 5
Baldrick1
Fixes: 415

Re: Flaky wireless

@JPN 

it sounds like the router is time expired. If it's an old technicolor one and you have a contract Plusnet will hopefully give you a new Hub One. Alternatively if you are out of contract they will definitely give you one if you sign up to a new contract. If you're lucky you will get one that's not noisy and your devices will be able to cope with their flaky firmware.

Whatever you do don't buy a hub from Plusnet, they're not worth the £100 ish that they charge.

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

MasterOfReality
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 57

Hi @JPN 

@Baldrick1 is correct when he states that a new FTTC contract would indeed include a new Hub One router. 

I would advise getting in contact with our Customer Options team regarding this as they are the department who can provide all relevant information about this. 

Telephone number: 0800 013 2632 or 0330 123 9197 (Both free from a Plusnet Landline)

Opening Times:

08:00 - 20:00 Monday to Friday

09:00 - 19:00 Saturday

09:00 - 18:00 Sundays

In the interim, it would be beneficial for you to have a look at our wireless/router troubleshooting guides here 

Kind Regards, 

MoR

JPN
Rising Star

Thank you both for your replies.  MoR, that link is to user and installation guides, so not particularly useful.

I had one period of downtime this afternoon. Fortunately I have ethernet connections available in most of the house, so it is inconvenient rather than a major problem.   I shall have a look around at the various market options. 

MasterOfReality
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 57

Hi @JPN 

The router guides include info on how to troubleshoot and get the best out of your WiFi. 

Thanks, 

MoR

Baldrick1
Fixes: 415

@JPN 

For less than £20 you can get a BT Smarthub 6 from EBay. They are better than Plusnet's offering. Setting instructions are here: https://community.plus.net/t5/My-Router/Using-the-BT-Smarthub-6-on-a-Plusnet-Account/m-p/1587673#M85...

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'