cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

First world problems, my speed at the low end of the range - £20p/m for 20mps

WotW
Grafter

Re: First world problems, my speed at the low end of the range - £20p/m for 20mps

screenshot (7).pngscreenshot (6).png

I reset the router to factory settings and did the above again, out of interest

WotW
Grafter

Re: First world problems, my speed at the low end of the range - £20p/m for 20mps

screenshot (8).png

RealAleMadrid
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 59

@WotW  The sync speed has dropped a bit but still close to 30Mbps, maybe it is not banded only Plusnet can check that out. So are you saying that the openreach guy/gal plugged your router cable from the phone socket into his tester and got 38Mbps?  The test kit is basically a modem with a display and software to run built in tests so it may just be that the test unit modem is better than a Hub1 (which wouldn't surprise me) and syncs at a higher speed. Or your Hub1 could be faulty.

I would suggest a BT HH6 would be a better way to go as it has a better modem chip and Wi-Fi.

You really need to get Plusnet to respond following the engineer visit.

It would appear from your upload speed profile you are on Fibre Extra, I don't think your line can ever achieve speeds above 40Mbps download so you could possibly save a bit by downgrading to Unlimited Fibre, depending on your contract situation of course.

Just seen your post with the Broadband Checker result, all I can say is it doesn't look like it's for your line, observed speeds with today's date of 33Mbps Down and 9.25Mbps up do not tally with your router stats and the estimated speeds seem higher than I would expect for a fairly long line. So something very odd going on there. Need help from customer support.

WotW
Grafter

Hmm, thank you loads for the information/advice RealAleMadrid

Yes, to the scenerio you suggest.

Yes I wondered re. the fibre extra, as me last year has been that contract (I think) but, tbh, I'm paying £21 a month, I can get lower, but not by much and PN seems to be proactive and friendly - which is rare now a days!

Hopefully customer support sees this, I'll call up if not - I'm not in a massive hurry
adam945
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 113

Hello @WotW

Thanks a lot for getting back in touch and I'm sorry to see that your speeds are still on the lower end of your estimates. Our faults team have resolved the fault on the account as the speeds are still within your estimated range. However, a KBD test on the line is still showing that crosstalk is detected, which can have an impact on your line speeds.

Rejecting the clear notification on our end would require us to arrange another engineer visit, so please respond to the open ticket stating your availability and we'll get it arranged.

Give me a shout once you've responded and I'll get it booked in.

Adam
 Plusnet Help Team - Leeds
WotW
Grafter

Thank you Adam, I have responded on the ticket you linked.

Regards

Lachlan
Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,600

Thanks for getting back to us Lachlan.

I can see we've booked the engineer visit and updated the support ticket with the appointment details.

Let us know how it goes.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
WotW
Grafter

Thank you Gandalf, and Adam,

Apologies for the time to reply, I am on the 5th day of a two-day job!

Great forum here, the help is much appreciated

Regards

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,600

Cheers for the feedback! No problem at all, sounds like you're definitely keeping busy.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
WotW
Grafter

Apologies for poking a dead thread awake, but I felt I should conclude in case others search through this thread for a solution to their own similar problems.

When I first posted, I was getting low Mps, around 15GB up to 21GB. Not great, but not bad either. It would dip under 10GB at times.

Plusnet arranged a visit from OPENREACH, the engineer tested the line, replaced the plastic facing with a new one, and left - he could see a connection of 38GB on his testing kit, he advised me to replace the router.

Plusnet could see there was still 'crosstalk' appearing on my line, so they sent the engineer out again. This time, he switched the DSL line to the router to the OPENREACH test line, did his tests, and found a healthy 27GB connection!

A few days after, I switched from plusnet personal to plusnet business, same price for me and for the same speeds, and I felt the new router might help deal with the few electronics I have - an Xbox, 2 laptops, a mobile.

Happy to report, my connection now pops up to 37GB at times! I only needed
something that would let my Google mail open quickly, and this surpasses that.

So, it took less than two weeks, I opened a post on here and both the other users and the official plusnet staff offered suggestions with a warm 'cup-of-tea' vibe, they organised my engineer visit, and encouraged a second visit (and it was this one that fixed it!).

Many thanks to the community and to plusnet, very much appreciated

Lachlan

198kHz
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 41

Good to hear of the successful outcome.  🙂

@WotW wrote:
Apologies for poking a dead thread awake, but I felt I should conclude in case others search through this thread for a solution to their own similar problems.

When I first posted, I was getting low Mps, around 15GB up to 21GB. Not great, but not bad either. It would dip under 10GB at times.

That could well be helpful, but, just to clarify -

All these references to 'GB' (Gigabyte) should be Mb/s (Megabits per second).

Murphy was an optimist
Zen FTTC 40/10 + Digital Voice   FRITZ!Box 7530
BT technician (Retired)