cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

First time fibre install

joelmacdonald
Dabbler

First time fibre install

Quick question which I apologise if it's answered somewhere else.
Ordered Unlimited Fibre Extra today switching from Sky standard broadband. Believe I have paid for the Plusnet Hub to be delivered.
Everything going fine, email from Sky to say sorry your leaving, then an email from Plusnet with a date for an engineer.
Wasn't aware I'd need an engineers visit? Is this standard as its a first time fibre connection? Not exactly sure what to expect. Is it to replace the master socket, or is this just to inform me someone will be fiddling in the cabinets around this time? Hoping I will get a new Master Socket installed as the one I have is ancient and would prefer a new one installed to make the most of this fibre.
Thanks, looking forward to enjoying a nice jump from the 10Mb broadband I've lived with.
3 REPLIES 3
stewakeman
Grafter

Re: First time fibre install

Same with me, except I called them to clarify. It's self install so you don't have an engineer visit you. The appointment is when an engineer will go to your street cabinet and activate your connection.
They could so with updating their automatic emails to make this clear as it would save a lot of support calls and they've been doing it like this since last November so, not sure what the excuse is.
joelmacdonald
Dabbler

Ah good to know. Shame I won't be getting a new master socket. Might look at installing one myself then. The one I have has a very old looking T logo on it. Not even sure if it would make a difference or not in the end.
Does seem strange that they give you this time slot for a visit though. Must be loads of folk getting the email.
Anoush
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 139

Hello there and welcome to the forums/Plusnet!
All our fibre installations are self-install now, so if you don't have a master socket with a filtered faceplate, then you would need to use a microfilter (supplied with the Hub One). If the automated email indicates an engineering timeslot, then it's possible that the engineer visit is arranged to install a new phone line.
However, if you PM me your username, I'll check up on your account on Monday for you to confirm the details.
This is my personal Community Forum account to help out around these parts while I'm at home. If I'm posting from the 1st March 2020, this means I'm off-duty with no access to internal systems.
If this post resolved your issue, please click the 'This fixed my problem' button