cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

First impresions NOT good. No Engineer, No modem

paulcornwall

First impresions NOT good. No Engineer, No modem

Well today was the day I was meant to be activated and have a visit from the engineer supplying the modem. So I take a day off work and by 3.30pm I'm getting concerned. My previous provider (Talktalk who were terrible) had disconnected the broadband ready for PN to take over. I call the call centre to enquire the where abouts of the engineer and get told, the engineer wont be attending as the migration has happened remotely.I ask why I wasnt told this, as I've wasted an entire day waiting in. I then get told to set the equipment up myself! I then have to explain that is not possible as I dont have a modem. I was under the impression half the reason for the visit was to bring along the additional equipment. I then get told it was assumed I had a modem from my previous provider TT! I explain no, as I had their super router (all in one). Anyhow I now need to wait 24-48 hours for openreach to contact me to arrange postage of a modem. So I've wasted a day and now need to wait for equipment PN assumed I had. In this case I think the phrase "assumption is the mother of all f ^'s".
28 REPLIES 28
chenks76
All Star
Fixes: 12

Re: First impresions NOT good. No Engineer, No modem

are you able to change the user/pass in the super router (assuming you still have it) to connect to plusnet?
marcfaulkner
Grafter

Have exactly the same issue today Sad
My fibre has been remotely activated today, as I had previous fibre connection with Sky. Unfortunately as I had Sky's hub with integrated modem, I do not have an Openreach moden to use.
Not exactly thrilled, as I've been waiting 6 weeks for it all to go live as it is, and have had multiple failed/cancelled Fibre orders through no fault of my own (being told Fibre not available, when it very clearly is as I already had it with Sky!)

Not amused to discover this at 10pm when I've just got it and was looking forward to using my long awaited connection...and opened the box to find it wasn't an integrated router. Sad
Catalogue of error and disappointment from Plusnet so far. Sad
marcfaulkner
Grafter

Any chance somebody from PN could look into this please?
I have raised a ticket, but no reply so far. Really need to be able to use my connection, but it's a bit difficult without the required equipment!
Have done some research, but it seems that I can't make use of my existing super router as suggested above. Sad
chenks76
All Star

if you want an instant answer you'll need to contact them via telephone.
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 160

@CRT,
Who makes the decision over if a BT engineer visit is required on a fibre migration - PlusNET or BTOR?
At one level one can understand BTOR thinking that a migration does not need a premises visit because the VDSL NTE is there already  and they might reasonably think there is fibre technology attached if they see VDSL synch. This does not though mean that the technology is capable of supporting service with PlusNET.
So what ensures a BTOR engineer delivers a BT modem - an instruction from PlusNET or a presumption made (or not made) by BTOR?

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Acassim
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi all,
This appears to be a bit of a predicament, the way in which the transfer of fibre services works is that BTOR should see that this is a fibre to fibre transfer which means that the same modem should work across both providers and no further action is required.
In reality it seems what can't be seen is if the fibre was a self install service with the previous provider which means a modem is required. This seems to be the case here which has now left the connections without the required hardware.
This is something that we've seen rarely in the past and is something that we're working on with BT in order to address however there is no way of seeing who requires a BTOR modem and who doesn't at present so please accept our apologies for the inconvenience this has caused.
As for the advice on the appointment being set for an engineer visit, this is an anomaly caused by the self install order still handing out an appointment at the BT side. This is later updated by BT to cancel the appointment to keep the order which isn't ideal as this means our system can't manage the update from BT on the cancellation of the appointment. We're aware and we're working to get this resolved at the moment so again please accept our apologies on this.
Moving forward, I've managed to get a hold of a couple of BTOR modems so I'll post these out to both of you by hand this afternoon and they should be with you as soon as possible.
marcfaulkner
Grafter

Thanks Adam, can't say fairer than that for a resolution really.
Do I just disregard the response to my ticket then, which totally contradicts what you have said? And if so, could you please just pop a note on the ticket in case I need to speak to anybody else, so that it is clear what is happening?
Cheers
Acassim
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Morning all,
Just to let you know that before the end my my working day I picked up and handed over a pair of routers modems to the post room staff so they were bagged, stamped and sent out in the post last night.
@marcfaulkner - Thanks for being understanding of the issue, I've just updated the support ticket and passed this back to you so you can close this off once you're happy that the matter has been settled.
Again, please accept our apologies for the inconvenience this issue has caused and I hope that this helps in restoring a little faith in the company for both of you.
gofaster
Rising Star

Quote from: Adam
I picked up and handed over a pair of routers

They will be disappointed if you did - they were after modems.
Nobody got back to me after I requested a fibre modem - the installer saw my HH5 and scarpered without leaving a modem
chenks76
All Star

you can use the HH5 on plusnet fibre.
Acassim
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Quote from: gofaster
Quote from: Adam
I picked up and handed over a pair of routers

They will be disappointed if you did - they were after modems.
Nobody got back to me after I requested a fibre modem - the installer saw my HH5 and scarpered without leaving a modem

Thanks for flagging gofaster, duly noted and rectified  Wink
marcfaulkner
Grafter

BT OR modem received this morning. Smiley
Many thanks @Adam C - fantastic personal level of service and attention which you simply wouldn't find elsewhere. My faith in PN is restored, and enhanced.
Not connected up yet as I was going out the door when it arrived, but I trust that all will be fine this evening. Can I ask you to please make sure my billing/charges are sorted as per the discussion with your colleague in the ticket? Many thanks once again Smiley
Acassim
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Afternoon marcfaulkner,
Glad to hear that the router has arrived and sorry again for the confusion.
I've updated the support ticket on your account to reflect a credit so I hope this covers the situation for you. If you find that you need a hand getting the modem installed this evening then please be sure to give our support team a call direct on 0800 432 0200 where they should be able to talk you through the process.
Thanks for the kind words also  Wink
marcfaulkner
Grafter

Thanks again @Adam C. The good news is that I am now responding using my shiny new Plusnet Fibre connection! Smiley
And you're very welcome - I may be one of the first and one of the loudest to shout when things go wrong, but the same is also true when somebody goes out of their way to help Wink