cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fire TV Stick - Constantly losing internet connection

Adrian79

Fire TV Stick - Constantly losing internet connection

Hi,

I am having issues with my Fire TV stick, it is constantly losing the internet connection to my Plusnet Hub One although it remains connected to the wifi. The only way to resolve it is to restart the Fire TV stick, it then functions for another 10-15 minutes before iPlayer buffers, Freezes and then I find the stick has lost internet connection again. 

I suspected it might be the wifi signal strength but all other mobile devices in the same room are fine. 

I tried setting up the Fire TV DNS server settings to both google and openDNS servers, neither made any difference. 

I've also noticed my router has been resetting the connection to Plusnet around 4-5 times a day, which seems odd, but probably unrelated to the above issue (which happens constantly)

Wifi channel selection is automatic and is completely different from any neighbouring properties. 

Has anyone else had this problem with FireTV sticks? iPlayer is a particular issue. 

Any help or ideas appreciated. 

4 REPLIES 4
Adrian79

Re: Fire TV Stick - Constantly losing internet connection

Just to add, all devices are up to date with Firmware/Software versions. 

BrightonRock
Pro
Fixes: 8

Welcome to the forum @Adrian79 To answer your question, I have one of these things and have had no problems, albeit with a different router.

I just had a look at the box my Fire TV stick came in and (if I'm reading it correctly) these devices only run on the 5 GHz band so this probably isn't the problem that some people have had with the Hub of devices becoming confused about which frequency to connect on. It might still be worth separating the two signals. @bill888 has posted how to do that at https://community.plus.net/t5/My-Router/Devices-stop-working-on-5-GHz-connection-Wifi-drops/m-p/1395...

As you say, the Hub losing connection several times a day may be unconnected but this sounds like rather too many drops. I would nun through the checks at https://www.plus.net/help/broadband/connection-troubleshooting/ and then report a fault at https://www.plus.net/apps/kbdfaults

It takes a bit of your time but makes Plusnet aware of your problem and gets any problem into the queue for action.

harrym1byt
Rising Star

I have a similar issue, but a Netgear WNDR3400v2 with 2.4 and 5Ghz access points. There is only the Firestick connecting to the 5Ghz, and the router is only two feet from the Firestick. In use it stays connected fine, but looses access when the Firestick sits unused, or set to sleep - almost every time.  

The only way fix I was able to find, was to restart the Firestick. 

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,600

Welcome to the community forums @Adrian79

Sorry to hear you're having problems with your Fire TV stick.

As a first step I'd also recommend separating the two WiFi frequencies as BrightonRock has advised.

Please let us know how you get on.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet