cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Firbre optic dowmload has dropped by 4mb in the last two weeks

Dommie
Dabbler

Firbre optic dowmload has dropped by 4mb in the last two weeks

As I have not heard any thing from your support team I have posted this problem.
I am paying top dollar for the service and do not expect to have a drop in my down load speed.

29 REPLIES 29
Melancholie
Grafter

Re: Firbre optic dowmload has dropped by 4mb in the last two weeks

Congratulations Plusnet, you have become a 'top dollar' provider!  Smiley
picbits
Rising Star

I don't consider PN to be a top dollar provider. I consider them a good value provider.
Very few ISPs offer me the option of unlimited fibre with a static IP address for under £20 a month.
Mine has dropped by 10MB/s (73-74 down to 64-65) over the past 20 months but is now pretty stable at this speed.
What is your poll for ? It makes very little sense.
KatC
Grafter

Hi there,

@ Dommie
I can see there is an open ticket on your account which is currently with our support team and they are currently investigating the matter for you. Once they have an update they will be back in contact.  Smiley
Strat
Community Veteran
Fixes: 565

Dick:blue Superfluous poll removed.
Windows 10 Firefox 109.0 (64-bit)
To argue with someone who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine
Melancholie
Grafter

Here's what 'top dollar' looks like.
http://www.aaisp.co.uk/broadband-home1-info.html#more
£40/month for 76Mb with 100GB download limit. 200GB will cost £50.
Phone line not included  Smiley
nigel1971
Grafter

Quote from: DomS
Mine has dropped by 10MB/s (73-74 down to 64-65) over the past 20 months but is now pretty stable at this speed.

I think a lot of this now is down to this G.inp on the line causing issues with those that have a eci modem including myself, my speeds have dropped into the 50meg range which is well below my estimate what i got before, PN are now looking into it and this is after an engineer visit.
kitz
Aspiring Pro

Most of the speed drops are down to Crosstalk as more users join the cab.  Ive lost 30Mbps headline speed now purely due to crosstalk.      Its fair to say that most lines who have had fttc for a couple of years can lose an average of 20Mb.. or at least thats what weve seen by those who monitor their stats/.  Some of my crosstalkers arent too bad, but theres one who knocks 5Mb off my line.. whoever it is, their line isnt that stable either.  I can see each and every time they drop sync.
Disturbers such as those can play havoc with your own line & the DLM, if you happen to sync up at the wrong time whilst their router is turned off.   Because next time they boot their modem you lose a pile of SNR and end up racking up lots of errors.  
Sooner BT decide what they can do with vectoring the better.
darklight
Grafter

I've noticed just tonight, only because i've been running some speed tests that i've lost 10mbps, i usually get 73mbs now its 63mbps  Cry
just looked on Broadband Quality Monitor and something as happened here this afternoon around just before 1pm dropped packet and my latency as gone up.
ericgripp
Grafter

That will be G.INP with an out of date ECI modem. If support bothers reading these forums I hope your team is taking note. Still fuming after being lied to over the weekend saying because its within profile nothing is wrong. Something is clearly wrong with the update BT is pushing out and your kit being unfit for purpose.
What's happened darklight from my research, if your eci firmware is out of date and G.INP gets pushed out, the line is left in limbo in a interleaved or banded profile. Some forums such as kitz indicate its hard to get support to do anything as on their end it may show as no issue. As the eci is locked (openreach modem) there's no way to force a firmware update.
When I tried reporting this to plusnet support, I was rudely told it would be closed and come back as no fault found. So if you manage to get it sorted please do let me know what worked.
dick:quote
ericgripp
Grafter

Quote from: kitz
Most of the speed drops are down to Crosstalk as more users join the cab.  Ive lost 30Mbps headline speed now purely due to crosstalk.      Its fair to say that most lines who have had fttc for a couple of years can lose an average of 20Mb.. or at least thats what weve seen by those who monitor their stats/.  Some of my crosstalkers arent too bad, but theres one who knocks 5Mb off my line.. whoever it is, their line isnt that stable either.  I can see each and every time they drop sync.
Disturbers such as those can play havoc with your own line & the DLM, if you happen to sync up at the wrong time whilst their router is turned off.   Because next time they boot their modem you lose a pile of SNR and end up racking up lots of errors.  
Sooner BT decide what they can do with vectoring the better.

Sorry Kitz, but those of us losing 10 meg sync in a week due to BT maintenance to push out G.INP to lines where ECI modem firmware is out of date would disagree. Crosstalk is more a gradual degrade of service. Whatever BT are playing at currently is screwing up customers lines.
darklight
Grafter

@ericgripp are you saying my BT modem as had a firmware update yesterday afternoon and DLM as kicked in and its knocked 10mbps off my speed?  if so i'm not happy one bit.
ericgripp
Grafter

Hi darklight,
No its where the openreach modem has out of date firmware which is incompatible with new noise reduction methods causing sync loss. Its appearing on a fair few forums now and only way to prove it is to use either an unlocked HG612 modem or to purchases a VDSL fibre modem which has both units combined. I will be ordering some HG612 units soon to replace my ECI modems to confirm my theory.
goldenfibre
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 12

Vectoring won't be coming until late 2016 or early 2017. Openreach still rolled out G.INP (on all Haewei cabinets until end of March and ECI cabinets from April 1st).
ericgripp
Grafter

My line was fine before G.INP rollout, stable for over 2 years at 73 meg. Now in the last week im down 10 meg and it just so happens in this area zen internet posted about BT maintenance. Anyone can put 2 and 2 togather, search related internet forums and see that theres an issue with ECI modems with out of date firmware on G.INP enabled lines. I shouldn't be losing any speed at all. If anything when vectoring is rolled out, I should be gaining speed as im stones throw from the cab at the end  of the road. None of this makes sense, but im ordering in some unlocked HG612 so should know by end of the week. 10 meg isn't much, but its the principle of it all and the fact that the ISP supplied kit is now not fit for purpose.