Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fibre wont connect.

FIXED
Trevstan
Grafter

Fibre wont connect.

Hi before I go any further I have raised a ticket on the phone today.

About 11pm last night my broadband dropped, I have the old router Technicolor 582n and Openreach modem setup.

The internet light had totally disappeared off the router... When attempting to reconnect via the router page it just said reconnecting.

I phoned this morning at approx 8.30am done some tests and he said it was my router/modem setup and would need a new one and said he would have to put me to the recontracts team I said ok but after being on hold I just hung up as I didn't want to be recontracted anyway not for a new router which I could just pick up independently. 

As my dad has just upgraded to fibre with Plusnet  and his line doesn't go live till 5th Jan I attempted to connect his one hub with no joy...plugged filter direct into the rest socket the the router into that... I was just getting a orange solid light and the B light was intermittent logged into the router put my correct username password it just span a circle said connecting PPP a circle span then it kicked me back to to the username screen.

I rang up at approx 1.30pm and we went through the same steps as above, he did a line test and said it was syncing fine at there end in the end he escalated it to a higher team? With a possibility of an engineer visit.

House line is fine making and receiving calls.

The guy on the phone mentioned a authenticating issue? Not sure what that entails?

Any ideas? 

33 REPLIES 33
Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,599

Re: Fibre wont connect.

Hi there.

Authentication is where your modem/router is in sync to the cabinet but there's no PPP (Point to Point Protocol) session.

If you've tried setting up your dad's Hub One with your username and password and it's still not working, it's likely we'll need to investigate the problem with our suppliers. For authentication faults, we'd usually do one of two things, or both.

The first step is to contact our suppliers quality assurance (QA) team to make sure that the circuit is built correctly on their systems and they'd generally try a "soft cease and reprovide" where they would basically reset the asset on their end.

If that doesn't work then we'd arrange an engineer visit to investigate on the Openreach side of things.

Sadly we can't contact QA tonight as they work normal office hours, but I have raised the fault through to them now. Our faults team will update you via the ticket you've raised when we've got more info.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
boombox

Having exactly the same problem. My fibre connection died some time on Saturday 23rd, judging by some missed emails. Gave up on phone that night after over half an hour on waiting. "Spoke" to someone via the online chat. He said authentication issue - well your router is old. As I am a loyal customer and have been with them nearly 10 years and am currently on a running contract, a new router would cost me over £100, but if I was on a fixed term , only £6.99. Don't want to commit to anything in a rush and certainly not before they show some success in fixing things, so picked up a new router for £30. Guess what? Same problem!!!!!! Not happy at all...
runhare
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 3

Hi 

I experienced similar symptoms a few weeks ago with the  same set up as yourself. These symptoms are sometimes diagnosed as a stuck session. Very few of the tech support staff at any isp know what it means or how to deal with it . It appears to be nothing to do with the age of your plus net router or your equipment or line . 

In my case the fibre connection mysteriously began to work again satisfactorily after a few days but essentially plus net did nothing at all  to the connection to make  it work. Testing showed no faults and we were on the brink of suggesting an engineer visit when it started to work again  

The only advice I followed was to leave the equipment powered down overnight.

plus net will probably offer you a new hub one for the cost of P&p if you press them for one . Bear in mind the routers and modems supplied by aall ISP's  are all of low quality anyway and are offered free to customers as an inducement to customers to take up contracts. We'd all be better off shelling out for our own decent quality router giving us additional stability and good wifi coverage. 

Trevstan
Grafter

@boombox

So the new router did nothing?

My cynical side of me thought the same as you, but was never in this world tying myself into 18 month contract if the issue was there.

Well into 3rd day without Internet getting a little frustrated as I only have 1gb on my phone.
Trevstan
Grafter

@runhare

Thanks for the reply.

Here's hoping it fixes its self but not holding my breath.

Yeah the old router setup wasn't great for the wireless and I have been toying with the idea of getting a new router.

runhare
Aspiring Pro

@Trevstan wrote:
So the new router did nothing?

I also tried alternate routers. With no joy at first but leaving the gear powered off for nearly 24 hours did seem to do the trick. Also resetting the router to factory settings while powered on is another suggestion to follow. 

To log on Make sure you enter username in the format "username@plusdsl.net" and the password is the same as you use to access your account on line in the member centre, not the passwordused for accessing wifi or router settings 

Trevstan
Grafter

@runhare

Thanks, I have powered off the router and will give it a test tomorrow.

No one said to do that until now.
runhare
Aspiring Pro

@Trevstan wrote:

Thanks, I have powered off the router and will give it a test tomorrow.

No one said to do that until now 

If you have bt white modem turn that off too, and do factory reset on router when you restart 

boombox

Well, bizarrely enough, my connection came online about an hour ago. Raised a ticket last night, just after midnight - no response so far, other than the standard " we have passed on your query" automated post. Tried all the resets and power/on offs myself last night after new router wouldn't work, with no change and left it overnight all powered on but not connected. Don't know whether they or BT did a "soft reset" of the connection or what. Will post something here if they do come back with an explanation.

LaurenB
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 131

@Trevstan I am going to contact our QA Team now and I will get back to you once I have an update.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Lauren Barry
 Plusnet Help Team
LaurenB
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team

@boombox I've had a look into this and to be honest can't see that we have done anything other than some automated testing.  Can see it looks to be running OK now so let us know if you have any further issues.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Lauren Barry
 Plusnet Help Team
Trevstan
Grafter

@LaurenB Thanks, I left the router off for over an hour just tested it again but no dice.

Spinning circle on PPP connecting then boots me back to the username / password... The router is a solid orange light and the broadband light underneath comes on orange when it attempts to connect then goes off when it fails via the router settings page.
LaurenB
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team

I have tried to contact the relevant team @Trevstan but looks like they are experiencing some system issues, they have advised me to try again in 2 hours so I will try then and get back to you.

Lauren Barry
 Plusnet Help Team
runhare
Aspiring Pro

Have you tried logging into the BT radius server with BT test user credentials?

I have seen suggested before that this procedure may help clear a stuck PPP session on an ISP's  network  if it's based on the BT wholesale product 

"Testing your connection to BT’s Radius server

You can test your connection up to BT’s Radius server using the test username bt_test_user@startup_domain.

Step 1: Follow your router manufacturers guidelines to log into your router.

Step 2: In the authentication section, change your broadband username and password to the following:

Username: bt_test_user@startup_domain
Password: (leave blank)
If your router does not allow you to leave the password field blank, just enter a few random characters."